Lack of European visitors the cause of Thailand's tourism woes, says hotelier

webfact

1 hour ago, smedly said:

also, lets not forget the expat/retired population who generally provide a steady 12 month spend that is often overlooked, I am hearing more and more exit stories as people are fed up being targeted by nonsense new cumbersome immigration rules that seem to have no other purpose than to force some people down a route of paying hefty bribes for application approvals because of some very simple marginal technicality

The expat/retired demographic is infinitesimally small compared to agriculture or tourism and thus a totally insignificant blip on the radar when it comes to contributing to Thailand's GDP.

I hear and read plenty stories as well... about people hearing stories about other people's stories about leaving.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I hear and read plenty stories as well... about people hearing stories about other people's stories about leaving.

My Brit pal moved from Chiang Mai to the Philippines then finally Phnom Penh.

He used to spend 65k/month until the exchange rate dropped, then he left rather than try to game immigration.

I visit him every year, you can come with me next time if you want.

Two others died, aged 50 (stomach cancer) and 59 (AIDs).

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

And not forgetting the TM30 hassles which could be stopping Expats from travelling in-country and staying in hotels, using local businesses etc... 

I have read most of the TM30 threads on TV, albeit I admit not completely but so far I haven't seen anyone claiming that they are going to stay at home and give up domestic travel and visits  due to the current TM30 tomfoolery.

46 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

I couldn't agree more about the TM30 idiocy. I've stopped traveling due to uncertainties about what's expected of me. Wait. Let me rephrase: I won't travel until the TM30 is officially dead and buried. I know they don't give a rat's patoot what I do, but I just can't abide such an oppressive regulation. Cut off my nose to spite my face? Maybe. But screw 'em anyway. 

OK... you're the first.

Just now, NanLaew said:

I have read most of the TM30 threads on TV, albeit I admit not completely but so far I haven't seen anyone claiming that they are going to stay at home and give up domestic travel and visits  due to the current TM30 tomfoolery.

try me!

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Beat me to it. I used to go away twice a month to Rayong, Hua Hin etc. 

1 or 2 nights in a decent hotel, spending money in restaurants, local markets, beach bars etc.

Haven't been since this TM30 nonsense came up.

That's 2.

1 hour ago, djlest said:

i was planning a two week vacation all around Thailand at nice hotels, then i realized i would have to do TM30 so i cancelled my trip and instead... ill stay home and watch netflix and spend my hard earned money buying <deleted> from china. mai pen rai - up to you Thailand

And now that's 3 stay-at-homes.

Any advance on 3?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Beat me to it. I used to go away twice a month to Rayong, Hua Hin etc. 

1 or 2 nights in a decent hotel, spending money in restaurants, local markets, beach bars etc.

Haven't been since this TM30 nonsense came up.

We haven't traveled in country since this TM30 fiasco started. Yes, I know it is not the end of all things. But, it is just the principle of the thing. I don't like being accused of being a criminal or  terrorist. I will save my money for international travel. Give my money to Thailand's neighbors.

50 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

I couldn't agree more about the TM30 idiocy. I've stopped traveling due to uncertainties about what's expected of me. Wait. Let me rephrase: I won't travel until the TM30 is officially dead and buried. I know they don't give a rat's patoot what I do, but I just can't abide such an oppressive regulation. Cut off my nose to spite my face? Maybe. But screw 'em anyway. 

I just use non-os and never interact with Thai immigration, so don't need to do TM30s.

Trip to Vietnam every 90 days isn't that onerous a duty.

Went to DaNang in July, off to Hanoi in October.

Just now, PhonThong said:

We haven't traveled in country since this TM30 fiasco started. Yes, I know it is not the end of all things. But, it is just the principle of the thing. I don't like being accused of being a criminal or  terrorist. I will save my money for international travel. Give my money to Thailand's neighbors.

But you will still need to file a TM30 when you come back from your foreign trip.

So, are you a 5 or what?

50 minutes ago, djlest said:

i was planning a two week vacation all around Thailand at nice hotels, then i realized i would have to do TM30 so i cancelled my trip and instead... ill stay home and watch netflix and spend my hard earned money buying <deleted> from china. mai pen rai - up to you Thailand

In the meantime back at the ranch the idiots running the show are planning a stimulus to get Thais to travel within the country. No TM 30's for them eh?

Travellers get handouts and discounts while hotels and shops get the like get 1000 baht government kickbacks in a scheme which has the potential to be the biggest and best scam this decade.

They don't need annoying foreign tourists who can't speak Thai. 

Thai government smart....no need foreign tourist. Thai tourist No.1

2 minutes ago, PETDCAT said:

I just returned from a month on Koh Phangan, on Sunday I went to immigration to see about filing out a TM30. I was told by the officer no need to fill out anything if just traveling in Thailand.  

Please tell us the Immigration Office where you were treated with such awesomely genuflecting munificence.

The truth is out there and people need to know.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But you will still need to file a TM30 when you come back from your foreign trip.

So, are you a 5 or what?

That's Okay. I only do that once a year. But, now maybe two or three. We used to travel extensively around Thailand. I had a business to run, but it became such a hassle doing these stupid TM30's. I turned everything over to my FIL and his sons. 

For expats it's the tm30 nonsense,for foriegn tourists,high prices,,often sub standard accomodation,,rubbish everywhere,scams, dirty beaches,highly dangerous travel by bus or van,for sexmongers outrageous prices even for short time,and now from what i gather much rarer to get the gf experience,plus mangy dogs running all over ,why the hell would you bother.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

The three factors are:

1. Lack of disposable income.

2. High baht.

3. Higher local prices.

With this very, very real trifecta, I can understand why the Thai people aren't looking too happy.

It seems that some farangs can't though.

Wrong dummy. That is the symptom, not the cause. The cause is a dozen different reasons.

Thailand thought the country was something very special, and was he center of the known universe, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned. Xenophobia and racism on the part of the government is another cause of this self made disaster. Sure, the strength of the baht is a factor. But, just one factor. 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic and truly pathetic local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that could be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of over 300%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. If you are a rich tourist, spending $600 a night at the Banyan Tree in Bangkok, it is difficult to even find someone to have an intelligent conversation with, about the intricacies, the best vintages, and the qualities of the wine you want to order, here in Thailand. The expertise in F & B is really lacking. 

Same applies to luxury tax. If it were reasonable, Thailand would be able to attract rich tourists from around the world, who want to spend $25,000 on luxury goods, while on vacation. Will they buy a Prada handbag here for $16,000, that costs $5,000 in Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, London, New York, Paris, Rome, Milan, Monaco, Prague, Moscow, Istanbul, or Dubai? Of course not. What will they do? They will choose any one of those spots, and others for vacation, and Thailand will never even be discussed. 

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. 

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Oh wow! Now THAT'll set the proverbial car among the pigeons. Legend has it that as far a Chiang Mai immigration are concerned, one has to file a TM30 if one changes one's mind about what to eat for dinner.

They've told him he doesn't need to file a TM30 this time, so they can fine him next time for not filing a TM30.

Perfectly obvious to us that know the corruption that is Chiang Mai Immigration.

Bet he didn't get anything in writing!

Archived