Fine revenues surge as sidewalk riding ban strictly enforced

webfact

Fine revenues surge as sidewalk riding ban strictly enforced 

By The Nation

800_d9edf700518e0c9.jpg

Bangkok city hall says it will continue to closely monitor motorcyclists driving on the sidewalks, after it took in Bt4 million in fines in August and the first half of September.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration deputy governor Sakoltee Phattiyakul on Wednesday said that after the fine for violators was doubled to Bt2,000 in August, fines reached Bt2.5 million that month.

And so far in September, BMA has collected Bt1.5 million in fines against motorcyclists caught riding on sidewalks, he added.

He has asked the BMA’s law enforcement department to continue strict enforcement, with officials instructed to rotate enforcement locations around the capital.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376347

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-18

Some years ago they tried a similar highly publicised "crackdown" on wrongly parked motorcycles, enforced it very ostentatiously for 2 weeks, then everyone forgot about it and motorcycles kept parking anywhere and everywhere, because they have no other choice since there aren't any kind of infrastructure for them to park properly. 

I'm giving this crackdown two more weeks. 

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

wish they could implement it all over Thailand, tired of being pushed out of the riding bike lanes by all the parked cars & motorbikes ????

Round here motor cyclists still treat the pavement/sidewalk as for them to ride on. All the time.

2 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

My wife was in Bangkok last week to get an Australian visa, and saw a cop riding on the sidewalk. She said something to him, but no effect. Lucky she did not get shot. Wish she would have got a picture.

This is isn’t the West were the cops shot first and ask after... 

18 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

On my trip from Naglua to south Pattaya the other night I had about 60 helmet less motorcycle drivers and passengers on dashcam. If they paid out half the fines in Pattaya I could easily cover my income requirement for an extension.

Why the <deleted> do you care about others safety? If they have an accident that’s not your problem, it wouldn’t hurt you, focus on those <deleted> drunk drivers and running on red light.we are foreigners we are free to move back to the over regulated nanny state <deleted> hole countries were we are governments slaves.

22 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Round here motor cyclists still treat the pavement/sidewalk as for them to ride on. All the time.

I wish they would enforce this crack down in Jomtien ! The 2 police officers on duty in the police box on 2nd Road just sit and watch motorcycles speeding up and down the footpaths in both directions and just keep sitting on their arese and do nothing !

On 9/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, Calach said:

Some years ago they tried a similar highly publicised "crackdown" on wrongly parked motorcycles, enforced it very ostentatiously for 2 weeks, then everyone forgot about it and motorcycles kept parking anywhere and everywhere, because they have no other choice since there aren't any kind of infrastructure for them to park properly. 

I'm giving this crackdown two more weeks. 

Well at least it is a change from the usual 24 hours.????

On 9/18/2019 at 6:35 AM, Mavideol said:

wish they could implement it all over Thailand, tired of being pushed out of the riding bike lanes by all the parked cars & motorbikes ????

Who in their right mind would cycle in a Thai city? Roads are for motorized vehicles not kid's toys.

Archived