Is there anything you can do when you are bitten by a dog?

meyori

Hi, Last Saturday, while I was taking my dog with lead for a walk in the morning, this dog came from nowhere and attacked my dog. I tried to help my dog and in the end, I got bitten more than my dog by this dog. Both of us are on antibiotic and I need to go to a hospital everyday to clean wounds and get all kinds of shots. This incident happened about 600-700 m away from where this dog normally is. Attack by this dog had happened before, but this time was the worst. My dog really did not do anything, no barking, nothing. 

The other day, I finally got a chance to talk to people (Burmese/Thai construction camp people) whom I thought they are the owners of this dog with a translator. At first, they said the dog would not go out that far and it can not be the same dog (I'm VERY positive. It's that dog). And then they said that they do not own that dog. The dog comes and goes and they are not responsible and do not care what happen to the dog.

Do you know if there is anyone/any organization who can help to deal with such dangerous dog in Phuket ?

16 hours ago, Arjen said:

As far as I know the Thai law is about his:

When your dog cause damage outside your property the dog owner is responsible.

All kind of damage, so even killed by a car and caused damage to the car, the dog owner must pay.

On the other hand, when a dog causes damage on private property, It is the person who entered to carry all costs. 

Arjen.

Thanks Arjen. You are a voice of reason and kindness in a sea of juvenile, caustic and pathetic posters.

Animal cruelty is a crime which carries a fine of up to 40,000 baht and a jail term of up to two years..  

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/former-deputy-minister-charged-over-shooting-dog-dead-outside-7-eleven/

Seems stray dogs have more rights than those they attack here in Thailand.  Unbelievable.  

(VPN mode on)  Would like to know how to get rid of a few in my neighborhood if anyone has ideas that are "stealthy".   Don't  want to get caught obviously

26 minutes ago, Benmart said:
16 hours ago, Arjen said:

All kind of damage, so even killed by a car and caused damage to the car, the dog owner must pay.

On the other hand, when a dog causes damage on private property, It is the person who entered to carry all costs. 

Arjen.

Thanks Arjen. You are a voice of reason and kindness in a sea of juvenile, caustic and pathetic posters.

Yet none of this applies if the dog has no "owner".   Yes?

That is why I got my pre-exposure Rabies vaccination shots.

If bitten, I only need two more vaccine shots, and don’t need the possibly very expensive and sometimes hard to find HRIG shot. (Human Rabies Immune Globlulin)

If you have not had your pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots, you MUST get four or five vaccine shots, and you MUST also have the HRIG shot. HRIG can be very hard to find in some regions, and can be very very expensive. 

1 hour ago, leither69 said:

Get a rabies injection

What? A rabies injection? Only one?

If he hasn’t had pre-exposure Rabies shots, he’s going to need a lot more than “...a rabies injection”. He’ll need FOUR shots of Rabies vaccine, PLUS HRIG (Human Rabies Immune Globulin) which in some regions is very hard to find, and can be very expensive in some areas. 

Even if he HAS received pre-exposure rabies shots (3), he will need two further shots of Rabies vaccine. 

The pre-exposure schedule for rabies vaccination is 3 doses, given at the following times:

• Dose 1: As appropriate
  • Dose 2: 7 days after Dose 1
  • Dose 3: 21 days or 28 days after Dose 1.

A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated against rabies should get 4 doses of rabies vaccine – one dose right away, and additional doses on the 3rd, 7th, and 14th days. They should also get another shot called Rabies Immune Globulin at the same time as the first dose.

A person who has been previously vaccinated should get 2 doses of rabies vaccine – one right away and another on the 3rd day. Rabies Immune Globulin is not needed.

Source: CDC 

Pre-exposure Rabies Vaccine shots also buys you a bit more time to get the further two shots you will need. 

Once the symptoms of Rabies appears, it’s too late. You will die a very hard death. Survival rate for people once symptoms appear is less than 1%. 

To date less than 20 cases of human survival from clinical rabies have been documented, and only a few survivors had no history of pre- or postexposure prophylaxis.  - CDC

Hi. Two ways might help. Carry bottle of water with strong spray and if Dog comes near, spray into his face. That's the nice way! Or, you can buy a handheld object that gives off certain rays to frighten off the dog. Seen it an action and very effective. Do not point at your dog though. Not to be abused though please. Google dog deterrent. Sorry but don't know name of it.

17 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Other than get a triple dose of Virorab from the Hospital to be safe. Bite the dog back. It's the only way it will learn.

Three doses would be okay for pre-exposure.  Then he would only need two further shots of vaccine.

But if he has never had pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots, then he will need four shots of vaccine, PLUS a shot of HRIG. (Human Rabies Immune Globulin, hard to find in some regions and can be very pricy).

I question why, knowing this type of thing has happened in the past would you even consider walking your dog in that direction? I'm sure by getting bit the idea of never tempting fate has finally sunk in.  As for the dog, my guess is it will only get one chance to bite a Thai before it will suddenly disappear.  

2 hours ago, Hotrudester said:

Take revenge and creep up on him from behind and give it a good hard bite to show him who is Boss around there!!!!

That's the advice my uncle gave me when I was a little boy and his dog tried to bully me. It worked a treat, but then again, dogs in my home country are a lot cleaner than dogs in Thailand, you would probably die from catching all kinds of diseases when sinking your teeth in.

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

That is why I got my pre-exposure Rabies vaccination shots.

If bitten, I only need two more vaccine shots, and don’t need the possibly very expensive and sometimes hard to find HRIG shot. (Human Rabies Immune Globlulin)

If you have not had your pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots, you MUST get four or five vaccine shots, and you MUST also have the HRIG shot. HRIG can be very hard to find in some regions, and can be very very expensive. 

Recently bitten by a dog at the roadside whilst out running. I went to the nearest place to ask about the owner, but of course they saw the blood running down my leg from the wound and the result is that nobody knows the dog or its owner..

Having had the HRIG shot and the first 4 Verorab shots before leaving for my summer vacation, I had to wait 6 weeks until I was back in Thailand before I could get my fifth and last shot as it wasn't readily available where I was in the UK, fortunately the hospital had advised me that the 5th shot was only s booster so I was okay to delay having it.

18 hours ago, Arjen said:

As far as I know the Thai law is about his:

Arjen.

And how do you prove the dog belongs to someone who says it isn't theirs, as in this case? No-one in this country ever accepts responsibility for anything.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

of course the dog won't have an owner ….   you think anyone is going to admit that if someone has been bitten.

They do until the offended person asks  for any money for damage  caused, then they dont own it.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Animal cruelty is a crime which carries a fine of up to 40,000 baht and a jail term of up to two years..  

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/former-deputy-minister-charged-over-shooting-dog-dead-outside-7-eleven/

Seems stray dogs have more rights than those they attack here in Thailand.  Unbelievable.  

(VPN mode on)  Would like to know how to get rid of a few in my neighborhood if anyone has ideas that are "stealthy".   Don't  want to get caught obviously

Dogs don't have more rights as humans!!! But there was no reason to walk to is car, take a gun and kill the dog!!!  If it were in self defense him don't were charged!!! Him had enough time to call the police for take the dog away but him choose another way!!!

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Archived