Is there anything you can do when you are bitten by a dog?

meyori

Carry a small spray deodorant or some such or, better, carry tidbits of food . Or better still, disarm the aggressive animal by holding your ground and staying calm. I've been bitten a few times riding my bicycle around where I live and the dogs all know me now and actually welcome me. Animal haters and wannabe animal killers loathe this kind of approach, but it works.

21 hours ago, Arjen said:

As far as I know the Thai law is about his:

When your dog cause damage outside your property the dog owner is responsible.

All kind of damage, so even killed by a car and caused damage to the car, the dog owner must pay.

On the other hand, when a dog causes damage on private property, It is the person who entered to carry all costs. 

Arjen.

My Thai father-in-law uses a locally purchased, wooden catapult costing 30Baht.

with practice, a small pebble on either flank is enough to deter most dogs, I should think.

He is highly accurate when such roaming dogs enter his property. The dogs yelp and don't return.

I'm not suggesting, of course, that you go and buy one - although they are readily available on all thai markets.

It''s an effective deterrent!

Yes you can get help but it depends where you live

The Tessabahn are the people you heed to visit - if the dog has no owner they will remove the dog - if it does have a owner they will speak to the owner

But as I said it does depend on where you live - some offices will help some won't

Go down and see what they say - take photos of the dog and a map of the location

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I got two Rabies shots already and three more are scheduled. And I got one Tetanus shot and two more are scheduled. Cleaning wounds everyday at a hospital, but I was told today I do not need to do tomorrow. So wounds are healing well. My dog's wounds look much better and appointment to see a vet on Sat.

I take my dog to different directions each day. The area the attack happened has a few good dog friends and my dog wants to see/play/walk with them. YES. You are right. I could be carrying a stick at least. Now I do. Other online forum related to dog suggested that I carry a spry or squeezable bottle with 50/50 mix water/vinegar. I'm preparing this one as well. 

It looks like there is no one can do about such dog except us to prepare to protect by ourselves/avoid. ( Tessabahn......I will try & thanks.)

Sorry no offense or are you old ?

If you are less than 60 years old there is NO WAY That a dog comes from nowhere and bites you.

I walk a chihuahua everywhere and trust me, no dog will ever come from nowhere and bite anyone.

When it happens, people are always guilty of not looking or just being scared. As easy as this. Change your attitude and it won't happen again.

Wish you the best.

20 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Sorry no offense or are you old ?

If you are less than 60 years old there is NO WAY That a dog comes from nowhere and bites you.

I walk a chihuahua everywhere and trust me, no dog will ever come from nowhere and bite anyone.

When it happens, people are always guilty of not looking or just being scared. As easy as this. Change your attitude and it won't happen again.

Wish you the best.

Yes we know dogs don't just appear from nowhere, that is unless the magic fairy is at work, but I can confirm that the dog that bit me caught up with me whilst I was running along the side of a busy highway and the noise of the traffic masked the sound of his approach. First and hopefully the last time for me to be bitten by a dog in 18+ years of living and doing outdoor activities in Thailand.

Just to make it clear that the dog came from "no-where" = without me & my dog notice and attacked "my dog" and I tried to help my dog and I got bitten as my 1st post. To add, my dog and other his friend dogs are playing. So our attention were not sharp to such sneaky dog. YES. I am less than 60 years old!  

On 9/20/2019 at 11:00 AM, AI5AASIA said:

Yes we know dogs don't just appear from nowhere, that is unless the magic fairy is at work, but I can confirm that the dog that bit me caught up with me whilst I was running along the side of a busy highway and the noise of the traffic masked the sound of his approach. First and hopefully the last time for me to be bitten by a dog in 18+ years of living and doing outdoor activities in Thailand.

Agreed, I was bitten yesterday by an ownerless bitch with puppies,at 5 am. She doubtless saw me as a threat although I have passed that place many times. So probably not rabid.

Be that as it may, I went to the local hospital, spent ฿1800.- for doctor, wound dressing and injection with Speeda. I also have to take antibiotics for a week or so, go back for more shots (and bills) 3 times, lose time. 

When I go out for a run, which is most days, I only have two choices, turn left at the gate or turn right. Dogs can't be avoided although if I go past regularly they TEND to leave me alone. Carry a stick? Yes, but very inconvenient when you're trying to improve your running sty;e, and I wouldn't have been able to fend off this particular dog, I wasn't aware that he was so near. 

Anyway I have a 10 K race tomorrow and the last thing I need is to be on antibiotics, I won't be running well.

Realising what I now know everyone that gets out on foot should get a rabies shot, my last shot was 7 years ago.

Archived