Taking unpaid leave while on work permit

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You would probably want your employer to keep up your Social Security payments.

I'm assuming you intend continuing paying after you retire, the cost is minimal and it's a handy safety-net for healthcare.

I think this is actually quite necessary. Either you are removed from the SS system, or the SS must me paid. If you are removed from the SS system, then your salary comes into question, which means the validity of your WP comes into question. If the WP is invalidated, then so is your extension based on it.

• Like 1

Whether (and how much) you are being paid is not an issue as far as the work permit is concerned. However, if you are on an extension of stay based on working, one of the qualifications for the extension was a minimum salary. It is unclear whether a change in working conditions (which is essentially what this amounts to) invalidates the extension, but I think logically it should. After all, a company should hardly be allowed to get you an extension based on a salary of 60,000 baht per month and then, the next month, reduce it to 20,000 baht a month for the remainder of the year.

So, I get employed. Get Visa and Work permit. Then take an indefinite leave. Pay for Social Security (no taxes because no income). and then after a few years, get free Hospital in Thailand. I wonder why some comanies did not think about that and offer this as a service. 

43 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

So, I get employed. Get Visa and Work permit. Then take an indefinite leave. Pay for Social Security (no taxes because no income). and then after a few years, get free Hospital in Thailand. I wonder why some comanies did not think about that and offer this as a service. 

You will notice that 0 tax because 0 income won't really be accepted. You still have to declare your income and make p.n.d. 91 form every year - believe me they won't be happy if you put 0 on it.

• Confused 1

Yes, no problem at all. In fact, due to the lowered annual income you may get a higher rebate due to the sliding scale.

The fully paid pnd1 would only be required if you were RENEWING the WP. As you will not need this, unless using the 65k pcm method, it will not be a problem.

Technically people get hired and fired/leave/change jobs regularly.