Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

tm6.jpg

Thailand is to scrap the TM6 arrival and departure card for foreign tourists.

Speaking at an event in Bangkok on Tuesday evening, Dr Kobsak Pootrakool from the Prime Minister's Office said the TM6 card is set to be phased out, while a new app will be launched for TM30 reporting, according to Khaosod English.

In 2017, it was announced that Thai nationals would no longer need to complete the TM6 form and that only foreigners would be required to fill in the form.

But now the TM6 form is to be scrapped altogether as the Immigration Bureau is running out of places to store all the paperwork, Khaosod reported. 

Currently all the TM6 forms are stored in two huge warehouses but are seldom looked at after they have are used, so the decision has been taken to make it redundant. 

Khaosod English also reported that a new mobile app will be launched to make the process of TM30 reporting much easier. 

The news comes after Dr Kobsak revealed last week that he was due to hold a meeting to discuss the controversial TM30 reporting. 

Dr Kobsak also revealed that foreigners will also able to do 90 day reporting via a soon to be launched app.

Read the report by Khaosod English here.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-18

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the TM6 wasn't really an issue at all (albeit the waste of paper) as many countries require you to fill in an arrival card. 

The TM30 is the nuisance, and I have absolutely no optimism the Thai immigration department will be able to plan, design, create, trial etc etc etc a working app. 

Well, the TM6 wasn't really an issue at all (albeit the waste of paper) as many countries require you to fill in an arrival card. 

The TM30 is the nuisance, and I have absolutely no optimism the Thai immigration department will be able to plan, design, create, trial etc etc etc a working app. 
They don't make the app, their cronies do. All created to benefit certain parties. Why would they scrap something bringing millions annually.

This doesn’t resolve anything, the TM30 is still here and we will be subjected to reporting every time but if they can streamline the process and make it 10x easier is a great question. Business leaders have already lashed against TM30. 

7 minutes ago, shady86 said:
12 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

They don't make the app, their cronies do. All created to benefit certain parties. Why would they scrap something bringing millions annually.

Isn’t it a bit cynical to ascribe profit motives to everything done in Thailand?  Greed and corruption aren’t unique to Thailand either. 

I got a national ID card and paid less than it cost to make it. 

It costs about €3000 to get a drivers license in the Netherlands including the mandatory drivers school training. It the US it’s $50-100+ just for the fee  Here I paid €17. 

So some friend or relative of a politician makes a few grand writing an app, same thing happens in every country I’ve lived. 

8 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Of the 3 scrapes of paper I have stapled in my pp, the TM6 is easily the least problematic. 

Indeed... If there's any "good" news here, I'm certainly not reading any....

Just the usual "appearing to act without actually doing anything meaningful" routine that is so well practiced in government service here.

17 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Every single immigration form require you to fill in the TM6 number. Now what?

No number? 

Heh, heh, heh. They've got you again. The online 90 day required the TM 6 number. Now, you'll just have to go in person or pay a $$$$$.

All 3 "good news for foreigners" threads the last few weeks have been Fizzers

Tm6 took 2 mins to fill out without needing to leave your plane seat. The new app will not work and half the retirees I know struggle with the simplest tasks PC or smart phone related

Archived