Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

28 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

Isn’t it a bit cynical to ascribe profit motives to everything done in Thailand?  Greed and corruption aren’t unique to Thailand either. 

I don't see how greed and corruption not being unique to Thailand negates it's constant occurrence here.

28 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

I got a national ID card and paid less than it cost to make it. 

It costs about €3000 to get a drivers license in the Netherlands including the mandatory drivers school training. It the US it’s $50-100+ just for the fee  Here I paid €17. 

These fees are intended to cover the costs of implementing these processes.

Guess what? That reduces corruption.

29 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

So some friend or relative of a politician makes a few grand writing an app, same thing happens in every country I’ve lived. 

Doesn't happen often in the US. But, even when it does, the big difference is that in the US the app actually works.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Who ever has the contract to print the TM6 cards will not be a happy bunny...

not to worry.

he'll be getting the contract to "archive" the past 50 years worth of tm6 cards on polaroid film.

his nephew will get the contract to laminate them.

his cousin will then get the contract to load the freshly-laminated polaroids in containers for shipment to micronesia for disposal.

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

DO these guys ever discuss among themselves or have an actual

meeting or study before enacting these foolish projects

nope, usually one of them just come with some BS and later another one will say something different, they don't consult with each other, it's asking too much

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

Isn't it a bit cynical to ascribe profit motives to everything done in Thailand? Greed and corruption aren't unique to Thailand either. 

I got a national ID card and paid less than it cost to make it. 

It costs about € 3000 to get a drivers license in the Netherlands including the mandatory drivers school training. It the US it's $ 50-100 + just for the fee Here I paid € 17. 

So some friend or relative of a politician makes a few grand writing an app, same thing happens in every country I've lived. 

Thats why ppl drive like that here

If the app only required your passport number, D.O.B and current address - As already logged with immigration, then that would be fine, maybe a couple of other details as well, but I don't understand all the documents that need to be attached !! My landlord lives in Norway and visits maybe once a year, how the chuff am I to get all this carp that they ask for ?

Not good news at all as far as I can see. Hopefully the latest request from the European Business group will help to change their minds, especially when the FTA with the EU is hanging in the balance

4 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

You guys are such sour-puss's

A TM30 app would take 95% of the pain out of the process.

Right, and if you forget to do it - 800 baht fine cos you wanted to travel for a weekend and spend money in another province. 

It’s stupid and doesn’t achieve anything other than annoying foreigners. 

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Why is this good news? The TM 30 is still in place and the TM 6 was no inconvenience whatsoever.

Actually it is at least a slight inconvenience and I don't see why if Thais don't need to fill one out anymore, that foreigners still should. The TM30 should be eliminated too, but I see this as a positive sign in the right direction. One small victory at a time.

I am a regular border crosser (I travel often on business) and it is particularly annoying, especially at busy land checkpoints like Nong Khai, to have to cut in front of the queue to ask an immigration official who is busy stamping someone's passport to request a TM6 form and spend a good couple of mins filling it out. Eliminating it will also speed up immigration processing.

And the funny "territorial" attitude of officers like if you arrive on foot or by bus, a helpful official is standing around to give you a form but if you go up to him having arrived by car, he won't give you one and shoo you away, telling you to go to the appropriate counter. For car based arrivals, there is no helpful official standing around handing out these forms so the process for entering the country can take an hour or longer. The whole system is just a waste of time and paperwork.

Ditto at airports - if for some reason you didn't get a TM6 form on the plane you may find they are out of forms or you waste time filling one in at a table while hundreds of people get in the queue in front of you. Another thing that commonly happens is that someone in the line in front of you, for some reason mostly Chinese citizens, doesn't fill out the form correctly and that slows down immigration processing.

amused by thaivisa's editorial choices in the headline adding the words "Good News!" (with an exclamation mark no less), when in fact there is no good news. there is also no such exclamation in the source article.

Excellent clickbait tactics sure to stir up a whole bunch of negative commentary on a story that isnt even a story.

The whole article in Khaosod states “More people are using the airport, but they don’t give us more booths, so of course there are longer lines. And who gets the blame? Immigration,” Patipat said with emotion. He added that the new Suvarnabhumi terminal being built will likely befall similar problems.”

But the problem is not that there are not enough booths, but rather that not even half of the booths are manned, and that is a major problem for long immigration queues since years. I wonder when all those excuses stop and something will finally be DONE!

From the frying pan to the fire. TM6 was easy as there's not much else to do in the aeroplane and you have to pass immigration anyway. TM30 is extra nuisance.

Just connect the Thai civil system to immigration and use it to store the permanent addresses for >90 day stayers, with the yellow book and pink ID. Keep the TM6 but make it electronic, to be filled prior to travelling in if <90 days permit is given. Remove TM28 and 30.

With these you'll have pre-populated data in a database and will be able to install automated immigration gates in the airport. Oz-style, works like a charm.

so... they assume that Biometrics will look after,. and sweep up the dreggs later on Departure?   At least the TM6 addressed all aliens, and especially the tourists not in country long enough to need the TM30 hassles... 

one's Passport would feel naked, in the only country around that does not have a Departure Card init  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

But now the TM6 form is to be scrapped altogether as the Immigration Bureau is running out of places to store all the paperwork....

Currently all the TM6 forms are stored in two huge warehouses

TM6 running out of space .................. 

! Forget TM30 app(s).  Everyone mail in your TM30 forms along with all required photocopies. Lots of paper.  No need to go somewhere each time. "Yes, officer, wasn't sure I returned on time."   "Sorry, officer, I mailed 2 because there was no tracking."  "Just to be safe, officer..." If you have friends elsewhere, you can make frequent reciprocal virtual visits.

Instructions: Fill out one TM3 form except for the date, go to shop, make 500 copies. Date, sign, and mail at will.

41 minutes ago, dcnx said:

If it works and you have a smartphone that it runs on.

And if you and your landlord don't mind that sooner or later their passport, chanote copy etc  get hacked and leaked all over the internet like it happened here already many times because they know absolutely nothing about It security here.

Identity theft is a serious issues, but what do they know... 

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

TM6 running out of space .................. 

! Forget TM30 app(s).  Everyone mail in your TM30 forms along with all required photocopies. Lots of paper.  No need to go somewhere each time. "Yes, officer, wasn't sure I returned on time."   "Sorry, officer, I mailed 2 because there was no tracking."  "Just to be safe, officer..." If you have friends elsewhere, you can make frequent reciprocal virtual visits.

Instructions: Fill out one TM3 form except for the date, go to shop, make 500 copies. Date, sign, and mail at will.

I will do that simply because i would never upload my own passport copy to a thaiserver or anyone that's not my banks.

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Why is this good news? The TM 30 is still in place and the TM 6 was no inconvenience whatsoever.

Nor was the TM28, apart from the 24 hour time frame to report that you've moved house.

I wonder what it's like being in the room for their reform strategy meetings. 

They must spend a lot on bananas.

image.png.34a767dfcff1fe38dc7fab3672addb89.png

Archived