Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Be nice if the whole tm30, tm28, tm47 and others would all be scrapped.

TM 6/28/30/47. It's the immigration act sections 37 and 38. If they do change the law, I'm very concerned about what else will they slip in there. About 110% sure they won't release any of it before we can see it in gazette, feedback is a completely unknown thing in Juntaland.

the best advantage of no TM6 needing removal...

although too late for half of one of my  pages;

is the rip-staple-tearing effect practised wholeheartedly (hamfistedly) by a certain choice example IO, at Departures...

Other countries including Malaysia already scrapped TM6 alike card. It's a nuisance to fill up on the plane so I am happy to see it gone. No more passengers asking flight attendants to borrow pens, no more filling it up before I leave my home and keeping new ones to fill on later trips. Happy with this development.

Can bet your life the TM6 is being scrapped because the dumb pillocks have just realised after all this time and wasted paper that there is no money in it !     TM30 on the other hand makes them a fortune which, IF they produce a simple App will cut down their revenue considerably, so you can be sure something new will replace that revenue stream.

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

not everyone wants or has a smartphone - not everyone uses a Computer 

Correct, my somewhat smart phone and my computer far exceed my limited capability, plus I wouldn't inflict my stuff with a dodgy half-arsed app. - you wouldn't know what they have built into it to track your movements 

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

Why is this good news? The TM 30 is still in place and the TM 6 was no inconvenience whatsoever.

The TM6 was an inconvienience. I always had to borrow a pen on the plane to fill the damned thing in. ????

Mind you it was a crock of <deleted>, I started off by filling it in correctly but after the 30th or so visit I started making up some of the less pertinent details for fun.

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

not everyone wants or has a smartphone - not everyone uses a Computer 

Well, those people probably have a lot more free time than us Internet addicts. Visiting the immigration office is probably the most interesting thing they do all week.

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Well, those people probably have a lot more free time than us Internet addicts. Visiting the immigration office is probably the most interesting thing they do all week.

I for one certainly have a lot more interests than playing with a computer all day or visiting immigration. 

16 minutes ago, donnacha said:

so if I want to visit Bangkok for 2 days one of those days is going to be spent finding and engaging Bangkok Immigration in order to notify them I am there - really ??????

Maybe a dissident voice, but I would not like to see the TM6 simply scrapped.  An improved/streamlined process: yes, just scrapping the form: no.

The main reason for me not being a fan of simply scrapping it, is that you can fill in your visa-number (if any) on the TM-6 form, and when there are lots of visas/stamps in your passport, that reduces the chance of you getting a wrong date stamp of how long you can stay in the Kingdom.  I am always on the tip of my toes when the IO handles my passport for fear of he/she missing my Visa and stamping me wrong.

There are many posts on the TVF of wrong date stamps, and that's a real nuisance if you discover it too late.

Immigration having different entrance booths for handling Visa Exempt entries and people with an actual Visa would of course already help.

Re the TM30: getting rid of that one as soon as possible would be a relief, or at least making it only mandatory for Hotels/guesthouses and not bothering tourists/long-stayers with it.

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

so if I want to visit Bangkok for 2 days one of those days is going to be spent finding and engaging Bangkok Immigration in order to notify them I am there - really ??????

Just to be clear, I am not in any way defending the TM30, it is the greatest example of how the Thai government is enthusiastically shooting off its own toes ... but ... if you stay overnight in Bangkok, presumably your hotel will handle the paperwork there, then you just have to notify your local immigration office upon your return.

Now, if you or anyone in your family happen to have a smartphone, or a tablet, or a computer of some other kind, that notification should theoretically take just a few minutes. If you eschew all modern forms of communication, well, yeah, your only remaining option is to visit your local immigration office in person, but such a person probably has plenty of time on their hands anyway.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The main reason for me not being a fan of simply scrapping it, is that you can fill in your visa-number (if any) on the TM-6 form, and when there are lots of visas/stamps in your passport, that reduces the chance of you getting a wrong date stamp of how long you can stay in the Kingdom.  I am always on the tip of my toes when the IO handles my passport for fear of he/she missing my Visa and stamping me wrong.

Or .. get rid of the stay permit stamp too. Last two stamps I have are from Maldives and Thailand and I've been to three other countries in between. Those countries have computerized systems. It can be done fairly easily if they could be bothered.

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

There are many posts on the TVF of wrong date stamps, and that's a real nuisance if you discover it too late.

We are all a bit flustered when going through immigration but all frequent stayers in Thailand need to develop the habit of remaining confidently in place and checking the date stamp right there, in front of the IO, before moving away from the booth.

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I would not like to see the TM6 simply scrapped.  An improved/streamlined process: yes, just scrapping the form: no.

I suspect the paper forms will no longer be necessary once the biometric system has been fully rolled-out. Hopefully that will be an improved system that pulls Thailand into the 21st Century and ends up getting rid of stamps entirely. Anything that even slightly simplifies the arrival process and clears the queues more quickly is to be welcomed.

All this paperwork or online apps could be avoided if every arriving tourist had a beautiful female immigration officer ( or male depending on orientation ) handcuffed to them for the duration of their holiday. Only sure way to keep track of us and keep us coming again and again.

No use wifey complaining....the law is the law.

Scrap TM6? Who gives a toss about that? Not good news at all. How about scrap TM30 and TM28 and just keep 90 day report with the option for retirees or working expats to register more than one address? Other than that, just leave it to the hotels to do the Nazi monitoring.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Right, and if you forget to do it - 800 baht fine cos you wanted to travel for a weekend and spend money in another province. 

It’s stupid and doesn’t achieve anything other than annoying foreigners. 

So, now you see how much TM30 was done, like you tried to state in another thread. Just don´t have a clue what you´re talking about per usual. 

23 minutes ago, Denim said:

All this paperwork or online apps could be avoided if every arriving tourist had a beautiful female immigration officer ( or male depending on orientation ) handcuffed to them for the duration of their holiday. Only sure way to keep track of us and keep us coming again and again.

No use wifey complaining....the law is the law.

With my luck they would just run out of those and cuff me to a 500 pound mountain of a grumpy old male IO instead.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is to scrap the TM6 arrival and departure card for foreign tourists.

Speaking at an event in Bangkok on Tuesday evening, Dr Kobsak Pootrakool from the Prime Minister's Office said the TM6 card is set to be phased out, while a new app will be launched for TM30 reporting, according to Khaosod English.

Strange coz the TM6 is direct related to art 37 and the TM30 is related to art 38... makes no sense at all... unless they want to do full tracking... they might consider google or apple to give your phone's position to them...

(oops, they do that already)

31 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Just to be clear, I am not in any way defending the TM30, it is the greatest example of how the Thai government is enthusiastically shooting off its own toes ... but ... if you stay overnight in Bangkok, presumably your hotel will handle the paperwork there, then you just have to notify your local immigration office upon your return.

Now, if you or anyone in your family happen to have a smartphone, or a tablet, or a computer of some other kind, that notification should theoretically take just a few minutes. If you eschew all modern forms of communication, well, yeah, your only remaining option is to visit your local immigration office in person, but such a person probably has plenty of time on their hands anyway.

and if I am not staying in a hotel or the hotel refuses to do a TM30, what then ?

It is well known that residents are being forced to pay fines were landlords refuse to comply

It's all complete hogwash 

Archived