Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

30 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Just to be clear, I am not in any way defending the TM30, it is the greatest example of how the Thai government is enthusiastically shooting off its own toes ... but ... if you stay overnight in Bangkok, presumably your hotel will handle the paperwork there, then you just have to notify your local immigration office upon your return.

Now, if you or anyone in your family happen to have a smartphone, or a tablet, or a computer of some other kind, that notification should theoretically take just a few minutes. If you eschew all modern forms of communication, well, yeah, your only remaining option is to visit your local immigration office in person, but such a person probably has plenty of time on their hands anyway.

Notify your local office on return.

Depends. Didn't Imm' say a few days ago that the TM28 didn't need to be done??

However, if you are your own landlord/possessor or whatever you should do a TM30 or if you're married and staying in your wife's house just send her to do it as she should.

Or tell your landlord you have phoned Imm' and made an appointment for him tomorrow to go with all his paperwork etc so he can do it.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, that was the only thing you had to go to now. I think you understand exactly what I mean, but just too sad you where wrong.

*were wrong 

Wrong about what? Because they announced the end of the TM6 and that the TM30 can be done using an app, you think that that’s the end of it. The TM30 is here to stay?

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

*were wrong 

Wrong about what? Because they announced the end of the TM6 and that the TM30 can be done using an app, you think that that’s the end of it. The TM30 is here to stay?

Yes, it is! Not you or anybody else can do anything about that.

10 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, it is! Not you or anybody else can do anything about that.

There’s not anybody who can do anything about it? Literally no one? That’s amazing. You know the TM30 is a law and not an immovable object. 

I predict the TM30 will go back to not being enforced. It will slowly fizzle out. I still hold this prediction. 

Let me ask you a question; 

A. Would you rather be wrong and for the TM30 to be abolished.

B. Would you rather be right and for the TM30 be here to stay.

A or B? 

I fault see the "Good News" in this? I fail to see what they are talking about with the TM6 Card.

Thai nationals would no longer need to complete the TM6 form and that only foreigners would be required to fill in the form.

** So What. Thai's don't have to do a TM6 Form. "only foreigners would be required to fill in the form."

"a new mobile app will be launched to make the process of TM30 reporting much easier" Where is the Good News in this. They already have an App that does not work.

Get rid of it your BOZO's. There must me someone in Thai Gov't with a brain cell.

4 minutes ago, exparte said:

I fault see the "Good News" in this? I fail to see what they are talking about with the TM6 Card.

It's the second try to confuse us aliens so we'd think "Oh ok all good then have a nice day". First was the TM28 poster from Phuket.

No, we know it's the TM30 that's the major pain in the <deleted>, along with TM28 if enforced. No happy happy side news is going to fool us, busters. TM30! TM30! TM30! Everybody now! TM30! ????

14 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

There’s not anybody who can do anything about it? Literally no one? That’s amazing. You know the TM30 is a law and not an immovable object. 

I predict the TM30 will go back to not being enforced. It will slowly fizzle out. I still hold this prediction. 

Let me ask you a question; 

A. Would you rather be wrong and for the TM30 to be abolished.

B. Would you rather be right and for the TM30 be here to stay.

A or B? 

My answer would be A, but that´s just not going to happen. Better to live in reality, than build up a dream that never going to be true.

However, on the other hand. I have no problem with anything like it is now too. Not feel the need to be one with all the falangs/farungs or farangs in the complainer bunch.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

My answer would be A, but that´s just not going to happen. Better to live in reality, than build up a dream that never going to be true.

However, on the other hand. I have no problem with anything like it is now too. Not feel the need to be one with all the falangs/farungs or farangs in the complainer bunch.

Okay, so as you said, most people don’t mind doing the TM30 and it’s here to stay. 

Now, what is it that you want from me? 

Just now, surangw said:

lets hope the inform pass port control agents of the new plan 

I actually wittnessed a "training session" at swampy while sitting there waiting for something. There were about 20 IOs standing in attention while the drill sergeant walked back and forth in the front delivering the gospel. Then they were dismissed. I'm utterly confident the information was passed and understood without the smallest hitch.

Wonder how long before they realise that this is going to result in far less addresses getting recorded anywhere at all, especially for short term visitors staying in accommodations that don't register (including many Airbnb's). If the app follows their previous technical accomplishments and is glitchy and requires the same uploaded documents to register for, how will the basic problem be any different from now? Comments in the opening article suggests they don't even understand how the TM30 works, and that it isn't something for foreigners at all, but for Thai landlords. It seems they came, they listened, and they went away having failed completely to understand the problem put to them (which never had anything to do with the TM6 at all). Meanwhile, there was another damning front page article in the Bangkok Post today, pleading for a common sense approach from the European Association of Business and Commerce. 

The solution is so easy, and has been spelled out by many people already. Leave the law on the books and go back to not enforcing it. This is what they've done in the past, when they've taken a hard line on laws and then been forced to backtrack due to overwhelming bad publicity (such as the requirement for tourists to carry their original passport on them at all times). They're only going to get lambasted more and more on this, until the light bulb goes on and they realise that a system based on self disclosure can never keep track of criminals, and 24 hour surveillance (competent app or otherwise) is a terrible idea for business and tourism, in an era where people are seriously wary about data privacy. 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Notify your local office on return.

Depends. Didn't Imm' say a few days ago that the TM28 didn't need to be done??

However, if you are your own landlord/possessor or whatever you should do a TM30 or if you're married and staying in your wife's house just send her to do it as she should.

Or tell your landlord you have phoned Imm' and made an appointment for him tomorrow to go with all his paperwork etc so he can do it.

Again, just to be clear, I am in no way saying that these requirements are fair, logical or even sane for a country that still needs western tourists and retirees.

Although they will never admit this whole thing was a terrible mistake, I suspect we are about to see a face-saving climb-down in the form of apps that actually work and only require your interaction, not your landlord or wife or anyone else beyond the initial registration.

For the first time in 12 years (after traveling a lot during that time) my wife went out to the immigration  office with the completed TM30 form. They told here never to do that again as long it's a traveling within Thailand if it's for a few day or a few weeks, it's no problem for them.

So that's the TM30 in my region and for sure also other offices do the same.

My 12 year old TM6 is the only card that gives me a problem, it is almost unreadable and I got a new one, but some hotels always want to see the entry stamp and that one is on the old one!

Just saying, due to the lack of interaction/ communication on arrival with airport immigration officers I can see new issues at arrivals where the immigration officer blindly grants / or not, stamps without asking (or looking) whether the person in front of him/her has a visa to grant extended stays. 

16 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Well, the TM6 wasn't really an issue at all (albeit the waste of paper) as many countries require you to fill in an arrival card. 

The TM30 is the nuisance, and I have absolutely no optimism the Thai immigration department will be able to plan, design, create, trial etc etc etc a working app. 

I hope that making the TM30 process more convenient does not obscure the more important issue that it is immoral and completely out of sync with prevailing standards of civil liberties in developed countries.  Forcing people to routinely register their movements and whereabouts with the government has no place in a modern, civilized society.

16 hours ago, Guitar God said:

It costs about €3000 to get a drivers license in the Netherlands including the mandatory drivers school training. It the US it’s $50-100+ just for the fee  Here I paid €17.

Yes, expensive. But at the same time, you actually get good driving education, many hours of driving practice and good theory lessons.

Here you pay 17 Euro ... and it shows. Pay peanuts, get monkeys on the road. How much is life worth? 

16 hours ago, racket said:

This doesn’t resolve anything, the TM30 is still here and we will be subjected to reporting every time but if they can streamline the process and make it 10x easier is a great question. Business leaders have already lashed against TM30. 

The TM30 is easy Its done once and it took me less than 15 minutes, didnt even need the landlord. Its the TM28 (24hr reporting) which is the pain in the <deleted>.

4 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

The TM30 is easy Its done once and it took me less than 15 minutes, didnt even need the landlord. Its the TM28 (24hr reporting) which is the pain in the <deleted>.

Where are you getting "Its done once" from. In theory its required every-time you arrive anywhere or come back home to your house. Stay at 100 different places, thats 100 TM30s. 

TM28 isnt enforced anywhere.

Archived