Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Geonoise said:

April 1st is still far away ?

Every day in Thailand is an April 1st where government bureaucracy is involved.   In the early 2000s a visiting senior officer of the US State Department commented that Thailand had world class bureaucracy.   And I better it is further ahead on the league table.

18 hours ago, Filipplenoir said:

s the Immigration Bureau is running out of places to store all the paperwork-----just now?

But Immigration's storage problems are dwarfed by those of the banks.   A photocopy of ID Card / Passport every time you withdraw ?   Except on ATM withdrawals.   About time they put photocopiers at ATM machines.

Actually, in my opinion the TM6 actually made the TM30 redundant as far as Hotel, Guest house etc reporting of the TM30 as the person entering the Kingdom had to give the address of where they were staying. I presumed this was collected and placed in a database an assumption that now appears to be incorrect. So by scrapping the TM6 this actually places more weight behind the usefulness of the TM30 otherwise immigration is going to have no idea where anyone is should they decide to look. The TM30 is thus simply placing the entire responsibility of data capture and cost squarely on everyone else. If the TM6 had been forwarded for data capture and placed on their system there would be very little need for the TM30. I wonder why there are no first world countries that I know of who require tourists or the places they stay at to data capture every visiting person to report their whereabouts whenever they change hotel or abode. They simply placing the burden of reporting and data capture on everyone else and making it a criminal fineable offence if you don't. Data capture is the responsibility of the department who wants to capture it. But that would mean doing some work and organising and god forbid, taking responsibility.

18 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Farangs are still complaining even in good news. Life here must be really miserable for expats. ????

Makes one wonder ????

That's because they're digging their heels in with the TM30 while telling us that we don't have to do the TM6 (a form most of us don't care about anyway).

This is only bad news and irrelevant news. 

Who gives a sh^^%%#t about a TM6 cards, TM 30 app????? here we go again more brainless <deleted> from TI, as I have stated before Thailand is becoming a police state. I have my own solution, I am going to have a TM30 micro chip inserted into my neck and where ever I go the can follow me with a google mobile tracker app.!!!!

8 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

The TM 6 is a pain in the butt, which you don't need after a 13 hour flight!

The last two times I landed at BKK there were no cards to fill in and took ages for someone to get some, most airlines don't carry them now.

The airlines must be clicking their heels on this news! Actually scrapping the TM6 on arrival is really good news! It is a pain in the buttocks at the end of a flight. Especially when you are a family and need to fill in multiple forms for everyone!

If you remove the hype...

The TM 6 is the only document that advises the authorities of an aliens (alleged) residential address at point of entry; the other data it contains is superfluous as it is scanned from the passport main page and visa. The exit stub is a complete waste as again the passport is scanned and presumably linked with the entry data.

The TM 30 and 47 are merely ways of updating the residential details; maybe inconvenient and irritating, they serve the purpose of tracking aliens whereabouts and as one is on line already and the other about to be, life should be easier for all concerned.

In today’s turbulent world, any government that can’t efficiently and effectively control the movement and location of non-citizens within its borders is failing the security of the state.

1 minute ago, Bogbrush said:

If you remove the hype...

The TM 6 is the only document that advises the authorities of an aliens (alleged) residential address at point of entry; the other data it contains is superfluous as it is scanned from the passport main page and visa. The exit stub is a complete waste as again the passport is scanned and presumably linked with the entry data.

The TM 30 and 47 are merely ways of updating the residential details; maybe inconvenient and irritating, they serve the purpose of tracking aliens whereabouts and as one is on line already and the other about to be, life should be easier for all concerned.

In today’s turbulent world, any government that can’t efficiently and effectively control the movement and location of non-citizens within its borders is failing the security of the state.

Yes, non-citizens need to be tracked 24/7. Locals good. Foreigners bad. 

Only problem with your asinine theory is the TM30 is voluntary. He or she chooses to do it or not. Failure of compliance means an 800 baht fine. 

20 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Actually, in my opinion the TM6 actually made the TM30 redundant as far as Hotel, Guest house etc reporting of the TM30 as the person entering the Kingdom had to give the address of where they were staying. I presumed this was collected and placed in a database an assumption that now appears to be incorrect. So by scrapping the TM6 this actually places more weight behind the usefulness of the TM30 otherwise immigration is going to have no idea where anyone is should they decide to look. The TM30 is thus simply placing the entire responsibility of data capture and cost squarely on everyone else. If the TM6 had been forwarded for data capture and placed on their system there would be very little need for the TM30. I wonder why there are no first world countries that I know of who require tourists or the places they stay at to data capture every visiting person to report their whereabouts whenever they change hotel or abode. They simply placing the burden of reporting and data capture on everyone else and making it a criminal fineable offence if you don't. Data capture is the responsibility of the department who wants to capture it. But that would mean doing some work and organising and god forbid, taking responsibility.

The address on the TM6 doesn't have to be the same as on the TM30. It's more of an initial/first address in Thailand. Immigration doesn't care a bit what address you put on the TM6. When the fingerprint readers at the airports are working properly, the TM6 is not that useful anymore.

18 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Isn’t it a bit cynical to ascribe profit motives to everything done in Thailand?  Greed and corruption aren’t unique to Thailand either. 

I got a national ID card and paid less than it cost to make it. 

It costs about €3000 to get a drivers license in the Netherlands including the mandatory drivers school training. It the US it’s $50-100+ just for the fee  Here I paid €17. 

So some friend or relative of a politician makes a few grand writing an app, same thing happens in every country I’ve lived. 

Yes, yes and yes. But this is a forum about Thailand. No-one wrote that it is unique to Thailand, and what the Netherlands and USA charge for an ID card/license is totally irrelevant both in that it isn't related in any way to Thailand and the thread is about immigration requirements and not ID charges.

17 hours ago, Hal65 said:

You guys are such sour-puss's

A TM30 app would take 95% of the pain out of the process.

If I want to be a sour puss, I have every right.

The TM30 would take possibly 95% of the pain out of the process...IF AND WHEN WE EVER GET IT.

32 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

In Thailand, I'd guess that 99.9 percent of crime and terrorist activities are committed by Thais, not foreigners. What are they doing to track them? We are not the enemy, it lurks within.

3 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

So how would that be “national security” if you are just using an app? I mean, you could be anywhere in the world and do that.

Exactly. Truth is they don't care where we are. They just want the money the fines bring in. 

Can anybody explain to me:

The arrival card could help prevent "wrong people" to overstay in Thailand, they scrap it.

TM30 will never be used by the "wrong people", they keep it.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Arrival card could easily be scanned in to a data system with added passport number. That will cost them a cheap computer with some big hard drives and will never run out of space. They do not even have to do that at passport control station.

7 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

So how would that be “national security” if you are just using an app? I mean, you could be anywhere in the world and do that.

No exactly your IP connection see where you are, if you don't want a squad team that breaks your door at 4 am to send you to prison, it's not worth giving false indications

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, yes and yes. But this is a forum about Thailand. No-one wrote that it is unique to Thailand, and what the Netherlands and USA charge for an ID card/license is totally irrelevant both in that it isn't related in any way to Thailand and the thread is about immigration requirements and not ID charges.

If you read the posts about Immigration requirements, more than 90% of the posters do think everything they don't like is unique to Thailand. They don't have a clue about immigration laws in other countries, and keeps whining about everything. I would like to know how many posters are actually staying in Thailand long term, and I'm not talking about people on tourist visas doing border/visa runs all the time,and when finally getting denied entering Thailand, they whine about that. 

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

Farangs are still complaining even in good news. Life here must be really miserable for expats. ????

Makes one wonder ????

Just because you read the words "good news" in the headline doesn't mean that's what it is. If you have any awareness of this subject at all you'll realise they've completely ignored the complaints about the TM30 reporting and tried to fob everyone off by scrapping the TM6 form instead, which no one had ever raised an issue about.

2 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

No exactly your IP connection see where you are, if you don't want a squad team that breaks your door at 4 am to send you to prison, it's not worth giving false indications

Have you heard about VPN? They are not exactly It-gurus here,by the way. 

It seems that the Thai Immigration is adamant on keeping TVF members busy! Every so often, they make sure to throw out some bait to generate huge activity on the TV website!

Well... it keeps the boredom away and the minds active ????

Although the form can be completed online, many foreigners complain it takes weeks, or even months, to request a username and password. Patipat said even his son had to wait two weeks when trying to report guests staying in his AirBnb (“He complained about it to me!”).

So the son of an immigration officer is running an (I believe) illegal AirBnB !! Amazing Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Although the form can be completed online, many foreigners complain it takes weeks, or even months, to request a username and password. Patipat said even his son had to wait two weeks when trying to report guests staying in his AirBnb (“He complained about it to me!”).

So the son of an immigration officer is running an (I believe) illegal AirBnB !! Amazing Thailand.

What makes you 'believe' its illegal? Is it because he was trying to report guests staying in his AirBnb?

Pray tell us how your beliefs are created.

Archived