Is it allowed to receive medicines , from abroad , by mail , in Thailand ?

Isac Szwarc Brasil

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Why not ask them ?

Post Office: 

Phone: 02-831-3600 or 1545

They speak/understand English both by telephone and via email.

Thai Customs dept.

http://www.customs.go.th

Lots of useful info on the website

Telephone: Customs Care : 1164 

Thanks , I will ask them by e-mail.

Legal or not I had a drug sent to me from the UK that was not available in Thailand. I was fortunate that my ex girlfriend is a nursing sister at a private hospital and was able to get this particular drug ( anti biotic ) by getting a doctor to write a prescription otherwise I would have had to fly home just to get it.

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

Absolutely illegal.  A licence is required for the import of medicines - a licence which is unobtainable for individuals.

That's true. 

So as opposed to sending medicine by mail (illegal) it is legal if a traveler brings medicine for his or her personal use, and only what he or she will use within 30 days. 

Should check FDA website and make sure the medicine is legal in Thailand and should have a prescription. The necessary details of the prescription can be found at the FDA website. 

The drug is legal in Thailand but there are now brands registered here.

It is technically illegal to import pharmaceuticals by mail unless you have an FDA license (which you cannot get, at least not without considerable trouble). However in reality Thai customs will usually allow small quantities through if sent by regular post. The keys are (1) small quantity and (2) regular post, not courier. Even with these 2 precautions it will sometimes happen that the parcel isn't allowed in (another reason to keep amount and hence cost small) but I would say more than 90% of time it comes through OK.

While naratriptan is nto available in Thailand, a chemically related drug, Sumatriptan is, and in a locally made brand called Siagren. She might like to try that first before resorting to ordering from abroad.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Sheryl said:

The drug is legal in Thailand but there are now brands registered here.

It is technically illegal to import pharmaceuticals by mail unless you have an FDA license (which you cannot get, at least not without considerable trouble). However in reality Thai customs will usually allow small quantities through if sent by regular post. The keys are (1) small quantity and (2) regular post, not courier. Even with these 2 precautions it will sometimes happen that the parcel isn't allowed in (another reason to keep amount and hence cost small) but I would say more than 90% of time it comes through OK.

While naratriptan is nto available in Thailand, a chemically related drug, Sumatriptan is, and in a locally made brand called Siagren. She might like to try that first before resorting to ordering from abroad.

Thank you very much , very helpful.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, uhuh said:

That's true. 

So as opposed to sending medicine by mail (illegal) it is legal if a traveler brings medicine for his or her personal use, and only what he or she will use within 30 days. 

Should check FDA website and make sure the medicine is legal in Thailand and should have a prescription. The necessary details of the prescription can be found at the FDA website. 

Thank you

Archived