PM floats idea of moving Thailand's capital

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Yes Indonesia is moving its capital, deal done according to the politicians.

Which other neighbour of Thailand recently moved capitals? Myanmar ? Bet Prayut won't go down the route of changing the country's name just to keep up with the neighbours.

It still need go through the Indonesia Parliament to get the greenlight. The location in East Kalimantan has been identified. 

If I were to guess then I'd say they have already decided where, just they have to slowly sell the idea and get people used to it. My bet would be Korat and it's sort of strange that all the big mall groups have recently moved in (like Central and T21 etc.) as there didn't really seem like there is enough business to warrant that unless they know something everyone else doesn't and they aren't that busy atm. Also, the brand spanking new tollway is set to be finished in the next year or so plus they are talking high speed train too. Land prices have jumped there and lots of it is being sold, developed and swallowed up at the moment ... question is, by who? Needless to say it's within the "close by" comment/reference the PM made and I reckon the elite have already decided but needs to grab everything they can there first before it's official. Methinks he's just testing the reaction so as to get the show on the road.  

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Who is buying up all the land? and where?

This subject has come up before, 30 years ago we were told Bangkok would be submerged by now! One place that was "touted" was Khon Kaen! I (we!) bought land there years ago, hope they don't change their minds!!! :crying:

the problem in Bangkok (and other towns/cities) is the lack of adequate city planning especially concerning roads pavements and traffic provisions - they just build stuff adhoc and on a whim without any standards limitations or control, you then end up with roads and infrastructure not fit for purpose and very costly to rectify 

12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Some years back, it was rumoured that Chiang Mai would be the new capitol. It sparked a Massive buying spree of houses & land here for a while, but then it died down 

Chiang Mai is red shirt territory and has been openly punished for that since the coup. They are not going to give any sort of boost to the major land-owning families there, including the Shiniwatras.

13 hours ago, CGW said:

One place that was "touted" was Khon Kaen!

Khon Kaen is really deep into Isaan which, of course, is also red shirt territory.

13 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

My bet would be Korat

That feels right to me.

Still in Isaan, but far closer to Bangkok, Korat is out of the flood zone, accessible from the current main airport, close enough to the Eastern Economic Corridor, and appears to have lots of undeveloped land. It is also a nice, short name ... "Korat" ... or they may opt to give it a new name, perhaps something memorable and snappy such as "Prayut".

Yeah, Korat makes sense in a lot of ways, I could see them developing a new business and political capital there while maintaining Bangkok, until it sinks, as a major tourist destination.

I wonder if korat is red shirt territory too or if, being geographically closer, it is more aligned to the political consensus in Bangkok.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Moving the capital is just an idea and would require extensive research as to the economic and social impacts, Prayut said, but it is a possibility under his administration.

What an idea!
Organize Bangkok properly, it's the best capital Thailand can have!

4 minutes ago, 30la said:
15 hours ago, webfact said:

“Connecting Thailand with the World”

Now there are even seminars, but if you can't communicate in English it doesn't make any sense!

Perhaps that snazzy title was written by someone who attended state school, where their idea of geography was to name the countries bordering Thailand.

Archived