PM floats idea of moving Thailand's capital

webfact

31 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

In 1943 they started to build the new Capital in the Petchaboon Valley, under Pibul.

Am I missing something here?

Would building a new capital be more advantageous than moving all the government places away from BKK to (say) Udon Thani? It would take hundreds, if not thousands, of trucks to shift all the stone and marble of important buildings. The railways and canals are and canals are not equipped to transport buildings so the roads would take a bashing.

I think Yasothon could be problematic, but nice area.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the few progressive ideas to ever come out of an administration that is so lacking in imagination, it boggles the mind. Great idea. Any pressure that can be taken off of the Bangkok streets would be a good thing. And nobody would miss the bureaucrats, for a nanosecond. Move it fairly close by, someplace like Nakhon Sawan, or Saphan Buri. 

The choice of new capital site should be a mixture of geology, economics, transport links, and centrality.

Places like Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok seem more suitable than Nakhon Ratchasima. The empty space north of Rayong that comprises the empty bit of Chachoengsao is maybe more economically suitable.

1 minute ago, CaptainNemo said:

The choice of new capital site should be a mixture of geology, economics, transport links, and centrality.

Places like Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok seem more suitable than Nakhon Ratchasima. The empty space north of Rayong that comprises the empty bit of Chachoengsao is maybe more economically suitable.

I believed these are the 4 satellite cities that was in previous government plan. Prayut need not have to be visionary (not that he has) but just copy previous government plan like he did with the infrastructure and water management plans.  

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Who is buying up all the land? and where?

Of course no mention of the brand new parliament building which is not yet finished!

As all roads, railways and airports are centred and leading to Bangkok, moving the governmental buildings to elsewhere would become a hugely expensive project to build new and utterly devastating to alle the capital invested in Bangkok.

It might be much cheaper to make Bangkok a polder like area, erect dykes, manage water, and do something about traffic management.

Can always ask the Dutch, 35% of their country is below sea level, including Rotterdam (port), Amsterdam (capital) and the Hague (government seat).

Bangkok is sinking under the weight of Its full name.........

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

8 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Bangkok is sinking under the weight of Its full name.........

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

and the waters can easily seep in... via all those gaps between the words!

Good old media management to keep eyes off his incompetence, if he can't even resolve his inability to take his oath, I suggest moving millions of people is well above his abilities. He should stick with buying military hardware and receiving kickbacks!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Chiang Mai is red shirt territory and has been openly punished for that since the coup. They are not going to give any sort of boost to the major land-owning families there, including the Shiniwatras.

Khon Kaen is really deep into Isaan which, of course, is also red shirt territory.

That feels right to me.

Still in Isaan, but far closer to Bangkok, Korat is out of the flood zone, accessible from the current main airport, close enough to the Eastern Economic Corridor, and appears to have lots of undeveloped land. It is also a nice, short name ... "Korat" ... or they may opt to give it a new name, perhaps something memorable and snappy such as "Prayut".

Yeah, Korat makes sense in a lot of ways, I could see them developing a new business and political capital there while maintaining Bangkok, until it sinks, as a major tourist destination.

I wonder if korat is red shirt territory too or if, being geographically closer, it is more aligned to the political consensus in Bangkok.

Korat would have to have an airport again.

Archived