PM floats idea of moving Thailand's capital

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm was this a huge pump and dump? They selling land for 2 sq meters in silom on the $100k USD

Its a bubble guys and massive scale. They pumped the capital and now dump it on all investors because they can. "Never build your house on the sand" 

Well never build your house on a sinking swamp neither! 

Now the property will drop very fast and what does it matter most condos only 15% occupancy and now many cannot find buyers maybe people are not such schmucks after all

I always thought bkk was overpriced and made no sense maybe in the new city some form of property tax and land planning might make a clean city and god forbid using a grid system might be asking too much though right? 

How about just making sure it has enough roads, car parking and metro services before allowing big development this time 

Move along.  Nothing to see here.  Just another empty statement that will soon be forgotten.  Like his statement to solve Chiang Mai's burning problem in a week.  Or his recent statement instructing his ministers to solve any problems that 40 million tourists might bring to the country.  

It's an army thing - quite obviously.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh already floated the idea and spent Xilliards on feasibility studies to move the capital to Chachoengsao some 25 years ago or so. 

The Burmese boys in green actually did it and built Naypyitaw, an entire new capital 400kms north of Rangoon. The boys at the helm, superstitious as only Burmese can be, were told by a soothsayer, hand reader or fortune teller, that the next attack on them would come in from the sea - which explains the 400kms inland location. 

That little stint had cost USD 4 billion (USD 4'000'000'000); for a fraction entire Rangoon could have been renovated to its former glory - before the army had taken over in 1962. 

In short, cut the bureaucracy and you will have a fraction of circulation (i.e. in the past there were lifelong driving licenses. Taking 28 million license holders this results in 5.6 million pilgrims yearly doing the infantile "renewal" test which takes hours and hours). 

Next, invest in technology by professionals, hire professional staff and get rid of all those Somchais poking noses and sleeping in all those sofas in oversized lobbies with freezing air-condition - to start with. 

Next, position circulation-intensive places DIRECTLY at highways with exits and ample parking at exorbitant parking fees (provided direct access to public transport (BTS, MRT - the works).

The location of the immigration (Chaengwatthana) or the department of land transport (Morchit); the bus stations (Southern as well as Northern) or Muang Thong Exhibition area are proof of similarly professional farsightedness ............ 

I'm not a civil engineer but common sense would not be a bad asset when it comes to planning!  

20 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

If I were to guess then I'd say they have already decided where, just they have to slowly sell the idea and get people used to it. My bet would be Korat and it's sort of strange that all the big mall groups have recently moved in (like Central and T21 etc.) as there didn't really seem like there is enough business to warrant that unless they know something everyone else doesn't and they aren't that busy atm. Also, the brand spanking new tollway is set to be finished in the next year or so plus they are talking high speed train too. Land prices have jumped there and lots of it is being sold, developed and swallowed up at the moment ... question is, by who? Needless to say it's within the "close by" comment/reference the PM made and I reckon the elite have already decided but needs to grab everything they can there first before it's official. Methinks he's just testing the reaction so as to get the show on the road.  

I agree Korat with 187 m over sea level is the target, everything same future all projects agree

https://www.worldatlas.com/as/th/30/where-is-nakhon-ratchasima.html

Improve transport planning. The Sukhumvit line has 50 stations going way out into the suburbs. No wonder its full when it gets downtown. How about multiple lines that are not so long and go to several transport hubs and interchanges so people don't all come in on the same lines through the same places.

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I believed these are the 4 satellite cities that was in previous government plan. Prayut need not have to be visionary (not that he has) but just copy previous government plan like he did with the infrastructure and water management plans.  

Well, you only have to look at a map, and Saraburi is a on a kind of traffic nexus, and is not too far away from the economic centre of Thailand (East BKK down to Rayong), a major tourist artery (Bangkok and Ayutthaya to Changmai), and a labour source (Khorat and Bangkok). Its not far from the main airports, and is connected to the road routes to Burma, Laos, and Cambodia, and it's just off the floodplain. New capitals have a tendency to be centrally located, so it seems likely that the zone from Saraburi to Chachoengsao and adjoining bits of Nakhon Nayok, NE Chonburi, and Pluak Daeng of Rayong will be considered.

8 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Can we nominate somewhere outside Thailand ? :w00t:

Just saying ! I mean where the capital is the government follows, does it not.

Brussels? Maybe if Thailand joined the EU, it would unite the forum in celebration of freedom of movement?

Why not have two capitals? Other countries manage it e.g. Netherlands (Amsterdam, The Hague), South Korea (Sejong City and Seoul) and some have even more, like South Africa (Pretoria, Cape Town, Bloemfontein and Johannesburg).

And even if Bangkok is superseded, it will still be thought of as the capital - examples of that are Rio in Brazil and Lagos in Nigeria, neither which are now capitals. Many people think Sydney is the capital of Australia which I don't think it ever was.

Archived