What happens if don't pay speeding fine sent in post?

bkk23234

As the title states what happens if don't pay speeding fine sent in post?

Been driving here for years and all of a sudden seem to be getting 500 baht speeding fines left right and centre which I find morally reprehensible, what happens if I don't pay? In theory can't renew the tax but how can they block millions of road users from renewing the road tax on their cars, I don't think they have the capability.

Adding an extra 2 hours to what should be a 6 hour drive is not going to be fun, may have to consider stopping driving long distance, I left the west to get away from this nonsense!

Also, are they allowed to issue more than 1 fine per day? If no then 500 per journey may not be so bad?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 1 the other day first time in 4 years here fulltime. Cheap in South Australia same fine would have been 40,000 to 60,000baht.

I thought good deal but now I be more careful

Thai solution to not be able to get tax on car or bike be simple.

Many more will be driving without tax and insurance.

????????????

Geez seriously?

Blame it all on someone else for your speeding and poor driving habits?

18 minutes ago, bkk23234 said:

In theory can't renew the tax but how can they block millions of road users from renewing the road tax on their cars, I don'

Millions?

In theory most people are probably responsible and will pay.

But who knows.  Why don't you test the system and see what happens...

Yes should have said all the fines have been between 105 and 118 kmph, the 90 kmph (55mph) limit on big three lane roads between provinces is absurd. I am not speeding in the technical term, the fastest I was going was 73 mph in only a 1.2 litre car, hardly dangerous.

Just now, steve187 said:

its the speed limit's fault. honest guv

it definitely is, 120 would be fine, on a long journey we are talking about hours wasted, 104 journeys a year (too and from BKK weekly) = close to 8 days lost, now if it were limited to one fine per day this would be ok

Thai drivers can kill themselves with a speed limit of 90, just think what they would do with one of 120,

back in the 80's they were toying with the idea to increase the 70mph limit to 80mph on UK's motorways, but said everyone drives at 80 any way so why increase it. they also dropped the 70mph on single carriageway national speed limit roads to 60mph

Just now, giddyup said:

You'll have to pay any outstanding fines before they let you tax your car or bike. Of course you can do what many here do, drive untaxed, uninsured and unlicenced.

This is in theory but there are supposedly millions of outstanding fines, the work for them would be immense to match all these fines to registration documents. Of course I am going to tax the car and buy the best insurance but considering what are the chances of the fines being pulled up when going to pay the tax, I don't think it is guaranteed.

1 minute ago, bkk23234 said:

This is in theory but there are supposedly millions of outstanding fines, the work for them would be immense to match all these fines to registration documents. Of course I am going to tax the car and buy the best insurance but considering what are the chances of the fines being pulled up when going to pay the tax, I don't think it is guaranteed.

i bought a bike once from an auction when i went to re-register it there was a ticket attached, that had to be cleared with the police first

3 minutes ago, bkk23234 said:

Not sure you understand. When you go to tax your car or bike they will get any outstanding fines, but if you don't do that then I guess other than a knock on your door there will be no other way to collect. Not hard to connect your vehicle rego to an outstanding fine.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not sure you understand. When you go to tax your car or bike they will get any outstanding fines, but if you don't do that then I guess other than a knock on your door there will be no other way to collect. Not hard to connect your vehicle rego to an outstanding fine.

Yes this makes sense but I want to know if it's guaranteed? If its not then I'll take the chance and if I need to pay when renewing tax then so be it, but if it is guaranteed I will clear them now.

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously?

Millions?

I guess most responsible people don't even get a speeding ticket I made my license when I was

18 years old now I am 72 I driven in Europe in Australia and in Thailand my only 

speeding ticket I got was about 30 years back on a country road in Australia

2 minutes ago, bkk23234 said:

Yes this makes sense but I want to know if it's guaranteed? If its not then I'll take the chance and if I need to pay when renewing tax then so be it, but if it is guaranteed I will clear them now.

What have you got to lose by waiting until your tax is due? You may get hit with a late payment fee, but that's not likely to be much in Thailand. They are hardly going to deport you.

55 minutes ago, bkk23234 said:

Yes should have said all the fines have been between 105 and 118 kmph, the 90 kmph (55mph) limit on big three lane roads between provinces is absurd. I am not speeding in the technical term, the fastest I was going was 73 mph in only a 1.2 litre car, hardly dangerous.

A 1.2 litre car going at 73 mph is a danger because it would be unable to get out of a dangerous situation quick enough.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously?

Millions?

you think somchai will pay up?  he probably doesnt have a licence...

1 hour ago, bkk23234 said:

what are the chances of the fines being pulled up when going to pay the tax, I don't think it is guaranteed.

Depends whether the LTO you use has a Police office within. Some day the Thais will get their act together and everything will be computerised so there will be no escape. At present Da Roadrunner has never been caught for speeding. Beep! Beep!

Ah ! The ironical twists  of debate. So many have much to say in critical comment about Thai drivers. And  yes  much of it is  valid.

But yet here we  have  topic that originated in "what  happens etc"  to  "Yeah, I speed  but it's ok  because I am a competent driver", I  can afford  a  fine, etc.

In my experience as a passenger in a vehicle driven by a  european is just as scary on average as with any Thai driver! Speeding fines?

Archived