What happens if don't pay speeding fine sent in post?

bkk23234

2 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

I got 1 the other day first time in 4 years here fulltime. Cheap in South Australia same fine would have been 40,000 to 60,000baht.

I thought good deal but now I be more careful

Thai solution to not be able to get tax on car or bike be simple.

Many more will be driving without tax and insurance.

????????????

45 over is $1600 so what speed is $2800 ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chazar said:

blimey thats a great  perk i usually have to pay for that, would that include  the  wellies and custard  as  well  though as I have trouble without those?

The lady police officer will provide until your charged.

1e39d18bbad3e00d698d3f8b98ca23ce.jpg.569d000eacbcc36b26ca157c705e3b3d.jpg

Cannot believe your thinking on this!!!! You seem to want a law not to apply to you or apply to you one time a day only!! You are just the sort of motorist any country needs by driving too fast and could not care less about it and then complain about the circumstances when you get caught. 

Many time I read about the moronic Thai drivers on here but I am convinced you are also a member of that club!!

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Ah ! The ironical twists  of debate. So many have much to say in critical comment about Thai drivers. And  yes  much of it is  valid.

But yet here we  have  topic that originated in "what  happens etc"  to  "Yeah, I speed  but it's ok  because I am a competent driver", I  can afford  a  fine, etc.

In my experience as a passenger in a vehicle driven by a  european is just as scary on average as with any Thai driver! Speeding fines?

And yet in other threads we are told to do things the Thai way................so which one do you want?

13 hours ago, bkk23234 said:

Yes should have said all the fines have been between 105 and 118 kmph, the 90 kmph (55mph) limit on big three lane roads between provinces is absurd. I am not speeding in the technical term, the fastest I was going was 73 mph in only a 1.2 litre car, hardly dangerous.

Road speed limits are usually there for a reason, doesn't matter what size your car is....

13 hours ago, Paul944 said:

Is there a list of speed traps you can download for Thailand? 

120 km/h speed limit is crazy on a road with u-turns or crossings.

Yes, google speed cameras Thailand and you should find many apps. 

Driving on the 90 km an hour speed limit roads we found that they seem to work you just need to be able to read rhe kilometer post numbers.

Also, see what the rest of traffic is doiIng if they all slow down do the same.

Another option by a radar detector. 

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

You'll have to pay any outstanding fines before they let you tax your car or bike. Of course you can do what many here do, drive untaxed, uninsured and unlicenced.

is it worth it NOT to be insured in Thailand..?? Iwould say no, one needs cover....as Thais will screw a farang for all he/she can get...

14 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Hoping they raise the speed limit on dual carriage way roads between cities.  90kph is a joke!

I think they are actually lowering them.  I see 60 posted on 35 and 338.  One spot on 35, close to Samut songkram, there is a 90 sign and about 20 meters past it a 60 sign.  Also what I have noticed is them putting up signs warning of cameras where there are none and having cameras with no warning signs close to them.  To me it appears they are intentionally setting people up to maximize fine collection.  For example conditioning you to ignore the camera signs because you get used to speeding by where they are posted with nothing ever happening to you.

1 hour ago, Hotrudester said:

Cannot believe your thinking on this!!!! You seem to want a law not to apply to you or apply to you one time a day only!! You are just the sort of motorist any country needs by driving too fast and could not care less about it and then complain about the circumstances when you get caught. 

Many time I read about the moronic Thai drivers on here but I am convinced you are also a member of that club!!

What's the reason for moving to Thailand? For me mainly to avoid the PC, nanny state, liberal hell hole back in the west. If they want to apply speed limits fine, but not 90kmph on big three lane roads or dual carriageways. 

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously?

Blame it all on someone else for your speeding and poor driving habits?

Millions?

In theory most people are probably responsible and will pay.

But who knows.  Why don't you test the system and see what happens...

Usually each traffic law violator is required to pay 500 baht on average. This authorised police in 2018 to collect up to 5.5 billion baht. “Also, in the first six months of this year, we've already issued seven million tickets, but 5.9 million, or 84%, of them have not been paid,” the national police assistant said.May 29, 2019

15 hours ago, bkk23234 said:

the fastest I was going was 73 mph in only a 1.2 litre car, hardly dangerous.

And your perception of danger is predicated on what?

Your self-confessed superior driving prowess?

If I am already belting up the M1 at 75 mph and I find a compact or small sedan belting past me, the first thing I think is, "My, there's a driver with superior driving prowess. I wish I had his skill sets when I am faced with the ritual wrong-way, unsignalled lane-changing, flashing-headlights, undertaking, outside lane hogging , u-turning, suddenly stopping. 2-lane highway madness that passes for normalcy in LOS.

Pay the bloody speeding tickets and slow the f*** down.

You know it makes sense.

14 hours ago, bkk23234 said:

Usually a dangerous situation requires one to slow down not speed up.

Have you ever seen a Thai driver, hurtling along the highway slowing down when he sees the brake lights of the cars ahead coming on?

Think about who you are sharing the roads IN THAILAND with before you apply your UK-honed cloak of impervious, superior invisibility.

I can't say what the current situation is,  however previously I have renewed the tax with speeding camera tickets still outstanding and there was never an issue, nor request to pay outstanding fines.

It used to be a chore to go and find parking at the Post Office to pay these fines, however being able to make the payment at a bank makes it so much more convenient. 

I am 100% up to date with payment of all my previous speeding tickets as a friend had advised me that when the Generals are in charge they can make a phone call and all these hurdles about cross checking between Police issued tickets and the DLT can be gone and there could be an issue with things like annual car tax renewal. 

For an idea of how far along things have come in recent years, take for instance the annual vehicle inspection, which is required after the vehicle reaches 8 years old, the QR code on the test certificate will take you to the DLT website giving all details of the test result. Data like braking percentage shown against each wheel, CO2 emissions result, mileage and even a photo of the car being emissions tested. That is more advanced than the UK which is considered pretty strict.

So can they suddenly link the unpaid ticket to your tax renewal I'm thinking that's a strong possibly, even if not today it's coming soon

16 hours ago, steve187 said:

back in the 80's they were toying with the idea to increase the 70mph limit to 80mph on UK's motorways, but said everyone drives at 80 any way so why increase it. they also dropped the 70mph on single carriageway national speed limit roads to 60mph

eh u sure  about that?

In April 1977, the government announced that the national speed limits for single-carriageway roads was to be increased to 60 mph (97 km/h) and that the 70 mph (113 km/h) speed limit was to be restored on dual-carriageways on 1 June 1977.

Archived