New Mazda3 offers multiple choices in design, power

snoop1130

New Mazda3 offers multiple choices in design, power

By Kingsley Wijayasinha

800_c7037392bbde6e0.jpg

Mazda is hoping its new Mazda3 compact car will win over purchasers with its alluring design and outstanding driving dynamics. The new model is available in sedan and five-door fastback variants, each in three trim levels.

They are similarly priced – Bt969,000 for the 2.0 C, Bt1.069 million for the 2.0 S, and Bt1.198 million for the 2.0 SP, respectively. All come with free first-class insurance, three years’ maintenance and a three-year warranty.

The Mazda3 is the first model in Mazda’s new generation of products, said Chanchai Trakarnudomsuk, president of Mazda Sales (Thailand) Co Ltd.

“We’ve been preparing the marketing strategy to relay the new image of the brand, the showroom and the servicing policies,” he said. “We’ve set up new communication channels to serve the new models and to step up to ‘Mazda Premium’ status.

“Customers will be able to experience the increased value of our products, led by the outstanding design and attention to detail, along with high-grade materials and unforgettable driving experience with oneness between car and driver.”

Thee Permpongpanth, vice president for marketing and government relations, said the Mazda3 features the Kodo Design and the “Less is More” design concept in both exterior and interior.

“While the sedan offers a high level of luxury and attention to detail, the five-door fastback has a sportier character,” he said. “Although both have the same model name, they have totally different concepts for design and image.”

Thee said the SkyActiv-G 2.0-litre engine has been tuned for excellent power and fuel economy, featuring a direct-injection fuel system, new fuel injection design, high compression ratio, increased torque, better fuel economy and more environmental friendliness.

It produces 165 horsepower at 6,000rpm and 213Nm of torque at 4,000rpm, while the fuel economy is claimed at 15.9km/litre.

New features include Cruise & Traffic Support, Smart Brake Support – Reverse Crossing, G-Vectoring Control Plus (GVC Plus), Mazda Connect infotainment with Apple CarPlay and a more comprehensive i-ActiveSense safety package with Mazda Radar Cruise Control and 360-degree view monitor, plus seven airbags.

In Thailand, the Mazda3 competes head-on with other C-segment cars such as the newly launched Toyota Corolla Altis (which is also available in hybrid versions) and the Honda Civic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30376370

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-18

2.0 sp? Isn't supposed to be 2.5 sp?

This girly gay car costs average 430,00thb round the world. This aint a luxury car so why so expensive? Its not a performance car as its about 250ponies shy of entry level. 

This country should be ashamed. Taxes are so expensive yet the roads suck so where's the money going.

Just now, unamazedloso said:

This girly gay car costs average 430,00thb round the world. This aint a luxury car so why so expensive? Its not a performance car as its about 250ponies shy of entry level. 

This country should be ashamed. Taxes are so expensive yet the roads suck so where's the money going.

So what example of manliness do you drive around Thailand? (Btw: Honda-dream Is not manly!)

Agreed on the tax comment - we know where the tax is going though.

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

No, it's the 2.0 SP, only the 2 litre engine in Thailand. 

The AU price starts at 25,000A$ so a bit more than the 20,500A$ you mention.

The Thai price is virtually the same as the Honda Civic that in AU is quite a bit cheaper so it looks as if Mazda has reduced the Thai price compared to other countries.

It doesn't market or sell to the crotch rocket brigade.

Virtually every review is more positive than you seem to be, maybe your gaydar is blinding you.

The story seems to be inaccurate in that the warranty is 

Free labor cost. Maintenance for 5 years or 10 times every 6 months or every 10,000 km from 10,000 - 100,000 km.

And there seems to be an option to extend 

extend the quality warranty to 5 years or 150,000 km, one to first As according to Mazda Added Protection program conditions

These are google translate versions of the Mazda website.

I just can't understand why Thailand limits engine size and horsepower. The CX5 is assembled in Malaysia and brought to Thailand tax free under the ASEAN Treaty. Now in Malaysia this year you can get a CX5 with the 2.5 liter turbo engine but it is not available in Thailand. Why?

27 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I just can't understand why Thailand limits engine size and horsepower. The CX5 is assembled in Malaysia and brought to Thailand tax free under the ASEAN Treaty. Now in Malaysia this year you can get a CX5 with the 2.5 liter turbo engine but it is not available in Thailand. Why?

Engine size or horsepower is not limited at all in Thailand, you can buy as much of both as you want to.

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Either 

A: there is still a 200-ish hp limit

B: Only rich people can have more that 200-ish hp. They have to buy really expensive and highly taxed German cars for that?

Same as Kia Stinger not in V6 form in Thailand. 

A:  No, there isn't a "200bhp limit", you can get as much bhp as you can afford.  There are excise tax categories, but no limits on bhp.

B:  Suppose that depends on your definition of "rich".  Camry's are available here with over 200 bhp and they're not just for the rich, for example.

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

Road casualty worries.....????

From the Malay website it seems to be 2.5L in the CX5 is not turbo; rated at 192 HP.

Thailand make the Maz3 2.5L version for Australia, i think it is normally aspirated but at least puts out 139 Kw (188 HP) compared to the 2L 121 Kw (162 HP) Thai version. No 2.5L in the Aust CX5 but the Aust Maz6 has the 2.5L Turbo rated at 170 Kw (228 HP).

The new Skyactiv-X 2L puts out 177 HP with a lot better efficiency and emissions; available in the UK but not Aust. yet.

Interestingly the Malays give 5 year Warranty and 5 year service (labour and parts) on the Maz3 as standard, while Thailand it is 5 year Warranty and 5 year labour only as a special offer; normally 3 year Warranty. Also interesting that the MX5 is running the 2L Skyactive-G and is putting out 180 HP, so obviously some tweaking can be done on the Maz3 engine.

44 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

From the Malay website it seems to be 2.5L in the CX5 is not turbo; rated at 192 HP.

Thailand make the Maz3 2.5L version for Australia, i think it is normally aspirated but at least puts out 139 Kw (188 HP) compared to the 2L 121 Kw (162 HP) Thai version. No 2.5L in the Aust CX5 but the Aust Maz6 has the 2.5L Turbo rated at 170 Kw (228 HP).

The new Skyactiv-X 2L puts out 177 HP with a lot better efficiency and emissions; available in the UK but not Aust. yet.

Interestingly the Malays give 5 year Warranty and 5 year service (labour and parts) on the Maz3 as standard, while Thailand it is 5 year Warranty and 5 year labour only as a special offer; normally 3 year Warranty. Also interesting that the MX5 is running the 2L Skyactive-G and is putting out 180 HP, so obviously some tweaking can be done on the Maz3 engine.

Check out the latest news.

https://paultan.org/2019/09/03/2019-mazda-cx-5-launching-in-malaysia-soon-2-5l-turbo-variant-confirmed/

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

Sweet. Looks like the same engine in the Maz6. Surely there must be room to shoehorn it into the Maz3! ????

I was reading somewhere that, at least, the initial batch of Maz3 into Malaysia are from Japan, which would explain the higher price and the 1.5L variant. Maybe they are counting on the made in Japan tag will sell more than the mad in Thailand tag.

Found it, PaulTan again:

https://paultan.org/2019/07/25/first-drive-2019-mazda-3-1-5l-and-2-0l-in-sepang/

and recent update

https://paultan.org/2019/09/19/first-drive-2019-mazda-3-hatchback-and-sedan-good-car-but-are-those-premium-aspirations-justified/

While I agree a 2.5 turbo would be nice, I highly doubt a 2.5 turbo Mazda 3 would come. That is reserved for the bigger models. If they put it into the 3 then it would take away value from the 6. I know the 6 is not sold here but that's not enough incentive for Mazda to do this. How many people would buy a more expensive Mazda 3 with the bigger engine compared to the people who would buy a cheaper smaller engine variant?

The only thing that might happen is that they bring the Skyactive-X to Thailand but that's not exactly a powerhouse either. The Mazda 3 is a nice car but could use a bit more oomph. The Civic 1.5 turbo is probably the best in its class here. Especially in the torque department, the Mazda needs to rev too much.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, Rdrokit said:

Because of horsepower tax.

Anything over 220 HP is taxed heavily. 10 years ago Toyota and Honda offered a 3.5L V6 version of the Camry and Accord, it was assembled in Thailand but because of the HP tax, it drove the price upto 2.9 million baht.

Have you not noticed that the only cars with more than 220 HP assembled in Thailand is the 330i, 530i, and 43 AMGs?

The V6 Accord continued to be assembled in Thailand for the Australian market but not sold in Thailand for this exact reason.

9 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

Because of horsepower tax.

Anything over 220 HP is taxed heavily. 10 years ago Toyota and Honda offered a 3.5L V6 version of the Camry and Accord, it was assembled in Thailand but because of the HP tax, it drove the price upto 2.9 million baht.

Have you not noticed that the only cars with more than 220 HP assembled in Thailand is the 330i, 530i, and 43 AMGs?

I don't think there is a HP classification for car excise tax in Thailand anymore. Afaik it's all based on emissions, cc, engine type (like EV etc) and car category (like pickup truck, van etc) now.

The reason why there is no 3.5L V6 sold anymore is because it incurs a heavy 50% excise tax being over 3000cc.

The tax structure is a bit <deleted> because a pretty heavily polluting diesel pickup can get a tax rate which is a third of the one a completely electric vehicle with zero emissions would get.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

I don't think there is a HP classification for car excise tax in Thailand anymore. Afaik it's all based on emissions, cc, engine type (like EV etc) and car category (like pickup truck, van etc) now.

The reason why there is no 3.5L V6 sold anymore is because it incurs a heavy 50% excise tax being over 3000cc.

The tax structure is a bit <deleted> because a pretty heavily polluting diesel pickup can get a tax rate which is a third of the one a completely electric vehicle with zero emissions would get.

If there's no HP classification anymore then Honda could've sold the 2.0T Accord for nearly the same price as the current Accord Hybrid. There's no CC issue because it's less than 2,000 CC. I believe there still is a HP tax because of that.

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

53 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

If there's no HP classification anymore then Honda could've sold the 2.0T Accord for nearly the same price as the current Accord Hybrid. There's no CC issue because it's less than 2,000 CC. I believe there still is a HP tax because of that.

Not sure if the 220HP excise tax is still in effect or not. The excise tax is based on CC and CO2 emissions, at least at 2016. I think there are Custom taxes/duties besides the Excise Tax

http://www.thaiauto.or.th/2012/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=3198

3 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

No, a 2.0 would have to be quite a bit more expensive because it would be in a higher tax bracket than the Hybrid. As I said it's not just about cc either. Hybrids get a preferential tax rate. The 2.0T would even most likely be in a higher tax bracket than the 1.5T because it has over 200 g/km CO2 emissions.

For cars under 3000cc it's mostly about CO2 emissions and category.

Archived