EU warns Britain heading for a no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Now tell us: did you claim you posted from government sites ?

I regularly work at Government offices around Whitehall and other locations. I am not a politician. I am not an official. I am an external SME.

You're not familiar with government organisations, that's obvious.

I have given you more information than what is required for the purpose of this discussion. Let's leave it there in order to keep to the rules of the forum.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, many EU lawmakers warned against a no-deal, both to avoid an economic shock and because they do not want to see Britain abandon its commitments to EU social and environmental standards and become a low-tax, low-regulation rival.

“We will not accept a Singapore on the North Sea,” said former Belgian prime minister Guy Verhofstadt, a liberal EU lawmaker and a member of the parliament’s Brexit committee.

In an at times bad-tempered debate underscoring general weariness on the tortured issue of Britain’s pending departure, senior EU lawmakers took jabs at the noisy contingent of British eurosceptic deputies in the chamber.

Manfred Weber, leader of the centre-right EPP group, called Brexit “stupid”. He and Verhofstadt took aim at British plans for greater sovereignty

>

I hope we are getting closer to a No Deal exit.

The more we hear from Verhofstadt better. He’s the true face of the EU. If he had been given more air time in the run up to the referendum there would have been a much bigger Leave vote.

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No, this is about the standards of civilized nations, this is about not getting into a race to the bottom. (labour laws, product quality, tax avoidance for the rich, the environment,....).

Labour laws?you having a bubble? Come to the uk,the bulk of jobs here seem to be self employed ( to get round the minimum wage ) zero hour contracts ( don.t call us,we,'ll call you ) the gig economy,and to work it needs a glut of migrant workers,free movement,

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

is this yet an other of your analogies ?

No. It's a straight forward question. Nobody in the quoted article has ever claimed or even mentioned that we are talking about LOW STANDARDS. 

Obviously, I question your interpretation, since it is, evidently, completely wrong. I simply don't understand how "However, many EU lawmakers warned against a no-deal, both to avoid an economic shock and because they do not want to see Britain abandon its commitments to EU social and environmental standards and become a low-tax, low-regulation rival." made you arrive at "LOW STANDARDS".

Clearly a language thingy, so let me correct you:

Nowhere in the article is anyone talking about LOW STANDARDS. They are talking about Britain abandoning EUs environmental standards, low taxes and low-regulation (whatever that means). 

Can we leave this now? I won't hold it against you.

Great.

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Wed 18 Sep 2019 19.44 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/18/boris-johnson-surprised-by-level-of-irish-border-checks-brexit

2019-09-19_045927.png

Boris Johnson given two-week EU deadline for Irish backstop plan

Ultimatum comes as sources say PM was ‘surprised’ by levels of checks on the border

Boris Johnson has been set a two-week deadline to table a plan for replacing the Irish backstop as further embarrassing details emerged of the prime minister’s chaotic visit to Luxembourg.

France’s president, Emmanuel Macron, and Finland’s prime minister, Antti Rinne, told reporters in Paris that they were both “concerned about what is happening in Britain”.

“We need to know what the UK is proposing,” said Rinne, whose country currently holds the EU’s rotating presidency. “Loose talk about proposals for negotiations is irresponsible … The UK should make its possible own proposals very soon if they would like them to be discussed.”

more...

6 hours ago, david555 said:

Here you can choose who you like to hear …..even Your hero Farage is on E.U. parliament speaking (look in the list ) on  it ,in the download list 

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/plenary/en/debate-details.html?date=20190918&detailBy=date

09:01 - 12:00 The UK’s withdrawal from the EU (debate) and choose who you like to hear & see  (dowload link)

"My hero Farage"?

What are the rules on this forum? Really.

It’s all getting even better.
A 12 day ultimatum from Macron for Boris to deliver a Brexit plan by 30 September or face a No Deal Brexit.
Bring it on. Give ‘em nowt Boris.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Boris had an empty hand from the beginning and as said, just pretending he had one. A Brexit fraud.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Labour laws?you having a bubble? Come to the uk,the bulk of jobs here seem to be self employed ( to get round the minimum wage ) zero hour contracts ( don.t call us,we,'ll call you ) the gig economy,and to work it needs a glut of migrant workers,free movement,
Usual non-researched prejudice.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“There is very little time left ... The risk of a no-deal is very real,” said Juncker, his comments weighing on sterling.

So it's a "no deal exit" but a UK exit is what it's going to be.. Time the EU got used to it!

52 minutes ago, wombat said:

Frogies to the rescue

Screenshot_20190909-184909_Samsung Internet.jpg

It would be great if they did, but ultimately this will prove to be a load of hot air and France will fall into line and approve the extension.

Little Manny Macron loves to talk big and puff his chest out, but he'll fold (again).

1 hour ago, vogie said:

This German MEP nails it.

Could you also name from which party in Germany …? As now you make it manipulative looking that all Germany is from that idea ….

Just as the U.K. they probably have a "German copy" of a Farage specie ...????

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

you,d have been better off asking the remain camp,when offered a general election they bottled it.

There will be a general election as soon as the prospect of the UK crashing out without a deal on October the 31st is prevented and Parliament is sitting.

Furthermore the comments by the EU are not that honest, they can see that the Boris's position is untenable and the outcome is likely to be him replaced by a coalition government  within weeks and a second referendum that will take at least 4 or 5 months to organise, if assuming we have a new government in November I predict it will be first Thursday in May for a Referendum, if the EU refuses an extension do not rule out the UK revoking A50.  

16 minutes ago, Basil B said:

There will be a general election as soon as the prospect of the UK crashing out without a deal on October the 31st is prevented and Parliament is sitting.

Furthermore the comments by the EU are not that honest, they can see that the Boris's position is untenable and the outcome is likely to be him replaced by a coalition government  within weeks and a second referendum that will take at least 4 or 5 months to organise, if assuming we have a new government in November I predict it will be first Thursday in May for a Referendum, if the EU refuses an extension do not rule out the UK revoking A50.  

It is ALL tactics now … just take example the liberal democrats picking in all those from some other party's...., and publicly showing their cards … first option a referendum …. but if strong winning enough by an election just admitting to plain blank revoking A50….a quit honest admission isn't it ?

So how expecting that the E. U. would not do what all the others are doing,  if they see a chance 

And don't understand Junckers "not emotional bound at the backstop " phrase as a rescue line ….. he just mean by that he does not like the backstop neither , but is the only available option for the moment ! Different understanding than all the tiny  hopes appears in U.K. press  as explained as a small opening …., or blinking … forget that …. just lost in cultural translation

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It would be great if they did, but ultimately this will prove to be a load of hot air and France will fall into line and approve the extension.

Little Manny Macron loves to talk big and puff his chest out, but he'll fold (again).

Even the French must realise with a hard Irish boarder it would be so porous that the prospect of the UK becoming the Singapore of Europe that would undermine the EU economy and probably the worst hit would be France. 

Archived