Saudi Arabia promises concrete proof Iran behind oil attack

snoop1130

Saudi Arabia promises concrete proof Iran behind oil attack

By Stephen Kalin, Parisa Hafezi

541.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Smoke is seen following a fire at Aramco facility in the eastern city of Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia, September 14, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo/File Photo

JEDDAH/DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia said it would produce evidence on Wednesday linking regional rival Tehran to an unprecedented attack on its oil industry that Washington believes originated from Iran in a dangerous escalation of Middle East frictions.

But Tehran again denied involvement in the Sept. 14 attacks on oil plants, including the world’s biggest crude processing facility, that initially knocked out half of Saudi production.

“They want to impose maximum ... pressure on Iran through slander,” Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said according to state media. “We don’t want conflict in the region ... Who started the conflict?” he said, blaming Washington and its Gulf allies for war in Yemen.

Yemen’s Houthi movement, an ally of Iran battling a Western-backed, Saudi-led coalition for more than four years, has claimed responsibility and said it used drones to assault state oil company Aramco’s sites.

However, the Saudi Defense Ministry said it will hold a news conference on Wednesday at 1430 GMT to present “material evidence and Iranian weapons proving the Iranian regime’s involvement in the terrorist attack”.

Concrete evidence showing Iranian responsibility, if made public, could pressure Riyadh and Washington into a response, though both nations have stressed the need for caution.

U.S. President Donald Trump has said he does not want war, there is “no rush” to retaliate, and coordination is taking place with Gulf and European states.

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said on Wednesday, in a call with South Korea’s leader, that the attack was a “real test of the global will” to confront subversion of international stability, state media reported.

His envoy to London, Prince Khalid bin Bander, told the BBC the attack was “almost certainly” Iranian-backed but: “We’re trying not to react too quickly because the last thing we need is more conflict in the region.”

“COMPELLING EVIDENCE”

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and United Nations officials monitoring sanctions on Iran and Yemen were heading to Saudi Arabia for talks and investigations.

A U.S. official told Reuters the strikes originated in southwestern Iran. Three officials said they involved cruise missiles and drones, indicating a higher degree of complexity and sophistication than initially thought.

The officials did not provide evidence or explain what U.S. intelligence they were using for evaluating the attack that cut 5% of global production. Saudi Arabia, the world’s top oil exporter, said on Tuesday the 5.7 million barrels per day of output lost would be fully restored by the end of the month.

Oil prices fell after the Saudi reassurances, having surged more than 20% at one point on Monday - the biggest intra-day jump since the 1990-91 Gulf War. [O/R]

A senior U.S. official called for a U.N. Security Council response to the attacks, although success is unlikely because diplomats say Russia and China - who have veto powers - are likely to shield Iran.

One of the three U.S. officials voiced confidence the Saudi probe would yield “compelling forensic evidence” determining the origins of the attack that has exposed serious gaps in Saudi air defenses despite billions of dollars spent on Western military hardware.

“The attack is like Sept. 11th for Saudi Arabia, it is a game changer,” said one Saudi security analyst.

IRAN-U.S. CONFLICT

Already frayed U.S.-Iran ties deteriorated further when Trump quit a nuclear pact between Tehran and the West last year and reimposed sanctions, severely hurting the Iranian economy.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has ruled out talks with Washington unless it returns to the pact.

Trump said he is not looking to meet Rouhani during a U.N. event in New York this month. Rouhani and his foreign minister may not attend the General Assembly at all if U.S. visas are not issued in coming hours, state media reported Wednesday.

Washington and its Gulf allies want Iran to stop supporting regional proxies, including in Yemen, Iraq and Lebanon.

Despite years of air strikes against them, the Houthi movement boasts drones and missiles able to reach deep into Saudi Arabia, the result of an arms race since the Western-backed coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015.

Iran’s clerical rulers support the Houthis, who ousted Yemen’s internationally recognized government from power in the capital Sanaa in late 2014. But Tehran denies it actively supports them with military and financial support.

Illustrating global caution over such an inflammatory issue, Japan’s new defense chief said Tokyo has not seen any intelligence that shows Iran was involved in the attack.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-18

I, IN NO WAY, try to defend Saudia Arabia.............. BUT....... I am Sooooooo ready to believe that Iran was behind the attack and probably furnished the equipment that was used in the attack.....

So since Iran has similar oil refineries...... I BELIEVE in the old proverb: "An eye for an eye".....

7 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I, IN NO WAY, try to defend Saudia Arabia.............. BUT....... I am Sooooooo ready to believe that Iran was behind the attack and probably furnished the equipment that was used in the attack.....

So since Iran has similar oil refineries...... I BELIEVE in the old proverb: "An eye for an eye".....

Out of interest and to hopefully understand the situation further - what is your problem with Iran, what has compelled you to want to believe they are sooooo Bad,

Do you consider that Iran is morally a worse place and country than Saudia?

Looking forward to your POV.

3 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Equally so the USA furnishes the weaponry that Saudi Arabia uses indiscriminately to attack and kill innocent civilians in Yemen. Does that make the USA guilty in the same way that you believe Iran was behind the attack?

Even if this is true then I dont think America should get involved.

The US is now an exporter of oil again. A higher oil price suits the USA. It cant always fall upon America to intervene in middle east wars. They are not even grateful for the sacrifices American servicemen and women make to try and sort things out.

The biggest customer Saudi Arabia has is China.

Tell China to sort it out. If they want to be a world player then they need to start shouldering some of the burden.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Even if this is true then I dont think America should get involved.

The US is now an exporter of oil again. A higher oil price suits the USA. It cant always fall upon America to intervene in middle east wars. They are not even grateful for the sacrifices American servicemen and women make to try and sort things out.

The biggest customer Saudi Arabia has is China.

Tell China to sort it out. If they want to be a world player then they need to start shouldering some of the burden.

A higher oil price may suit US oil companies but it doesn't suit the USA. It certainly will dampen overall US economic performance which is not a thing Trump desires.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

A higher oil price may suit US oil companies but it doesn't suit the USA. It certainly will dampen overall US economic performance which is not a thing Trump desires.

A higher oil price is global. America is better placed to weather it because it is an oil exporter.

China on the other hand........

26 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

A higher oil price is global. America is better placed to weather it because it is an oil exporter.

China on the other hand........

It's a narrow slice of the American economy that will profit from higher oil prices.it. But all the industries that depend on oil, and American consumers who overwhelmingly are a nation of auto owners will be hurt by higher prices.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

It's a narrow slice of the American economy that will profit from higher oil prices.it. But all the industries that depend on oil, and American consumers who overwhelmingly are a nation of auto owners will be hurt by higher prices.

Only if the price at the pumps goes up by a large amount and because the US is an oil exporter and has the capacity to reduce tax on fuel it has the ability to constrain price rises.

13 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Only if the price at the pumps goes up by a large amount and because the US is an oil exporter and has the capacity to reduce tax on fuel it has the ability to constrain price rises.

It's not only an issue of the price at the pumps in the USA. The global economy has already been weakened by the tariff war and a strong increase in oil prices is likely to have a negative impact on growth worldwide, and even to trigger a crisis.

27 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Not sure why being an oil exporter would give the US greater ability to cut taxes and just because taxes can be cut doesn't mean that they will be. Has that happened recently? Even when oil prices were much higher? What's more the US isn't yet a net exporter of oil. It soon is predicted to be but not yet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/us-becomes-a-net-energy-exporter-in-2020-energy-dept-says.html

Unless ALL the Iranian oilfields are destroyed then Iran is an indirect winner also.

To completely destroy all the Iranian oilfields will amount to a full scale war in the Gulf region which will not only destroy Iran oil fields but all of the Gulfs nations and it will be a worldwide disaster.

7 hours ago, CGW said:

Out of interest and to hopefully understand the situation further - what is your problem with Iran, what has compelled you to want to believe they are sooooo Bad,

Do you consider that Iran is morally a worse place and country than Saudia?

Looking forward to your POV.

As I said I am not defending Saudia.... You ask: what is my problem with Iran? I see too many news items about Iran trying to act like a big power, trying to 'overpower' their sanctions (applied by 80% of the worlds countries - all UN members) and shipping their oil secretly to Syria. I see them policing the 'straits' as if their own, damaging and pirating shipping in the 'straits' .... They are producing drones now and are jealous of their enemy 'Saudia' selling so much oil and them selling 'limited' amounts..... I see Iran claiming to do 'serious damage' (Possibly 'nuclear') to MANY free world countries as well as their own neighbors.... They are muslim Majority and express hate for non-muslim 'Infidels' and express desires to 'Nuke' the infidels....

Are you 'muslim'... By chance?????  It might explain a lot.....

The 'Houthies' (spelling ??) from neighboring Yemen...who claim the attacks are... are sponsored by Iran although located in Yemen.... Do you believe that Yemen has money for missiles and drones?????

Getting back on topic...... I copied from OP:

"Iran’s clerical rulers support the Houthis, who ousted Yemen’s internationally recognized government from power in the capital Sanaa in late 2014. But Tehran denies it actively supports them with military and financial support."

If you believe Tehran..... Then what more can I say.....

I am from a free world country...... I am an 'Infidel' in their eyes.... I don't want them 'leveling their sights on me or my family'.... and I can believe that they (Iran) would fund a 'second party' (Houthis) to disrupt the Oil supply from their hated neighbor..... hurting much of the free world....

I hope I am 'on topic enough for this post and you (and a few others) start to understand my thoughts and intent....... If not.... you have my permission to continue any argument by my Personal Mail (If you are muslim.... Never mind my PM)

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Equally so the USA furnishes the weaponry that Saudi Arabia uses indiscriminately to attack and kill innocent civilians in Yemen. Does that make the USA guilty in the same way that you believe Iran was behind the attack?

Are you insinuating that Yemen, the Houthis. are BUYING the weapons from Iran???? as the saudi's are buying from the USA?????? How much money do you think the Houthis and Yemen's have to purchase 'High tech' stuff?????? or is it maybe donated for a good cause by Iran?????

And since when do warring nations show concern for 'Innocent' civillians????? I only know of a couple countries that care........

Edited to add........ The muslims surely didn't on 9/11 on their attacks....  muslin intentionally NOT capitalized......

29 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Are you 'muslim'... By chance?????  It might explain a lot.....

No, not Muslim! thanks for your viewpoint, I have worked extensively in the Middle East and see things a little differently - mainl point being the western MSM takes "sides" for commercial reasons - they are both as bad (or good) as each other in my view. That Saudia had a role in 911 is beyond reproach etc...............

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Unless ALL the Iranian oilfields are destroyed then Iran is an indirect winner also.

To completely destroy all the Iranian oilfields will amount to a full scale war in the Gulf region which will not only destroy Iran oil fields but all of the Gulfs nations and it will be a worldwide disaster.

I think the world is only waiting for more exact info as for targets in Iraq...... so as to wipe out all resistance and 'Nuclear' targets in one swift attack.... I think several countries doing satalite monitoring intensly to determine the best sights to wipe out first...

I think many countries consider Iran a threat.......

And My personal feeling is that Iran is nothing more than a 'Mosquito' trying to bite a buffalo......

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

No, not Muslim! thanks for your viewpoint, I have worked extensively in the Middle East and see things a little differently - mainl point being the western MSM takes "sides" for commercial reasons - they are both as bad (or good) as each other in my view. That Saudia had a role in 911 is beyond reproach etc...............

Never proven that Saudia (Government) took part in it but yes it was found certainly that many factions were from SA. Just a bit of a 'distortion' at best..... Do you think that the USA and SA would have continued a relationship had they (US) felt there was a governmental involvement??????  It is just like the Muslim or 'free world'  countries or anywhere........ You have the trouble making factions although the Governments don't condone them..... I feel Iran is an exception and does condone and encourage (and support) them.........

10 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I think the world is only waiting for more exact info as for targets in Iraq...... so as to wipe out all resistance and 'Nuclear' targets in one swift attack.... I think several countries doing satalite monitoring intensly to determine the best sights to wipe out first...

I think many countries consider Iran a threat.......

And My personal feeling is that Iran is nothing more than a 'Mosquito' trying to bite a buffalo......

Targets in Iraq  or Iran? To  wipe out  "resistance" to what ? Nuclear what?

The  analogy of the  mosquito?  Yes, a single   mosquito  can assuredly  take down  a buffalo slowly  but surely  by disease. A disease usually  requires a  vector. Who is providing and encouraging the  vector for the disease of the middle east? Who is waiting by the roadside  to  answer the  call Medic  Medic  !

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

"Unless ALL the Iranian oilfields are destroyed then Iran is an indirect winner also."

Not really following the reasoning here. Because Iran might benefit from rise in oil prices too? I'd imagine the damage done will offset that some. If I misunderstood your intention, please clarify.

I don't think there's a realistic scenario in which all oilfields (either country's or the region's in general) are completely destroyed.

Archived