Dependent extension of stay (retirement) switch primary.

We have done 17 extensions of stay with me as the primary and wife as dependent. In the event of my death she has in effect just 7 days to get the hell out as her extension will have expired with me.

I am somewhat older so it would make sense fo her to be the primary and me to be the dependent, what would we need to do?

It should not be a problem to do it. You both would just change the reasons for your extension.

She would need to meet the financial requirement to apply for the extension based upon retirement instead of one for being a member of your family. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I am somewhat older so it would make sense fo her to be the primary and me to be the dependent, what would we need to do?

She will need an income of 65K pm or 800K in the bank (or combination of the two) in her own name. If she can meet the financial requirements it should be straightforward. She will need to apply for a new 1 year extension towards the end of the current one, and once that's agreed you apply as her husband. You should be able to make both applications at the same time.

Edited by elviajero

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

If she becomes primary is it in effect a "new" application  and seasoning for the 800K would be 2-3 months depending on the office?

It is 2 months for all extensions now.

The 60 days for the first extension no longer exists.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

In theory we could switch each year and not have to keep 800K n the bank for more than  a couple of months?

I don't think doing that would get a around the 800k baht for 3 months after or 400k baht after that.

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Just a thought.

In theory we could switch each year and not have to keep 800K n the bank for more than  a couple of months?

Probably not a good idea. ????

Might be difficult/impossible to organise and get the dates accurate. To comply with the rule that at least 400k must remain in the bank for the full year, and you must transfer the money to each others account before the end of the one year period for seasoning, you wouldn't be able to comply with both unless you had an extra 400k available each year for the seasoning periods.