Are Motocross helmets good for Thailand?

scubascuba3

I've currently got an open face helmet which is very practical due to the weather here. I'm toying with getting a Motocross helmet for extra protection, it's only for around Pattaya. As well as better protection than an open face helmet it MAY have better ventilation than a full face helmet. I'd take the visor part off at the top and wear sunglasses.

Thoughts?

Also, would it fit under the seat of a 2017 Honda Click?1568810049869.jpg.4c662bd838edb4120871fcb38e73ed03.jpg

Bilmola make a decent motocross helmet (destroyer)for 2100 baht although your better off getting one of their normal full face helmets for same price.....motocross helmets can actually injure your neck if you fall face down (as the chin piece protrudes so much)

I have both, got an M motocross helmet which is fairly snug and XL road helmet which is not so tight but ventilation ok in hot weather..

I switched to a motocross helmet about 3 years ago...

First few years here I used full-face helmets, but honestly they are hot in a stop and go urban environment. Then I began to use open face for better peripheral vision and cooler to wear in town.... But I was always aware of lack of facial protection.

Motocross/adventure style helmets offer good ventilation and facial protection.

I appreciate the visor as it cuts down on sunshine from above...

Around town I like Caberg's range of open face helmets with integral sun visor, good quality and safety standards (I buy my helmets in UK and bring to Thailand) after dusk I use safety glasses for riding and these are comfortably with these helmets. amazes me how many people ride at night with no eye protection, all the bugs and <deleted>? 

Around town I like Caberg's range of open face helmets with integral sun visor, good quality and safety standards (I buy my helmets in UK and bring to Thailand) after dusk I use safety glasses for riding and these are comfortably with these helmets. amazes me how many people ride at night with no eye protection, all the bugs and

But open face helmets don't protect the chin area so if you crash you better start praying.

as for riding with no eye protection, amazingly there are very few insects or stones hitting your face. Dust is a problem though

I switched to a motocross helmet about 3 years ago...  

First few years here I used full-face helmets, but honestly they are hot in a stop and go urban environment. Then I began to use open face for better peripheral vision and cooler to wear in town.... But I was always aware of lack of facial protection.

Motocross/adventure style helmets offer good ventilation and facial protection.

I appreciate the visor as it cuts down on sunshine from above...

Do you use sunglasses with your motocross helmet? do they usually fit ok? 

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you use sunglasses with your motocross helmet? do they usually fit ok? 

Yes they fit ok..

I use those 100/150 baht safety glasses sold in Thepprasit night market and Tuk Com. They have yellow ends and are flexible. Yellow color for night.  The clear ones have too much glare.

Yes they fit ok..
I use those 100/150 baht safety glasses sold in Thepprasit night market and Tuk Com. They have yellow ends and are flexible. Yellow color for night.  The clear ones have too much glare.
Any idea whether a motocross helmet will fit under the seat of a Honda Click 2017? an open face fits easy, probably a full face will although I've not tried

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
47 minutes ago, bobbin said:
Yes they fit ok..

Any idea whether a motocross helmet will fit under the seat of a Honda Click 2017? an open face fits easy, probably a full face will although I've not tried

No I think not, I have a O’Neal adventure lid, it’s so much bigger than  a full face or open face. 

They will fit under-seat storage of most bikes but you will not be able to fully close and lock the seat..

I have 2 moto/adv helmets, different brands. Neither fit well enough to allow locking, but the seat looks closed so I take my chances..   ????

On 9/19/2019 at 11:41 AM, scubascuba3 said:

But open face helmets don't protect the chin area so if you crash you better start praying.

as for riding with no eye protection, amazingly there are very few insects or stones hitting your face. Dust is a problem though

Referring to local around town low speed riding (you tried riding around town in Thailand in a full face helmet..?) or risk of an off and chances of hitting lower face chin area V comfort and reasonable safety with good head protection - then I am happy with a Quality open face helmet (not some plastic cheapo <deleted>)

Yes full face give better protection and on a long ride I use full face but as said I was talking about locally. Thing is if you are bobbing on or some Nutter is gonna hit you then you gonna be praying whatever you are wearing mate

As for riding at night with no eye protection - You really think there are no insects Wizzing about in Thailand 555? Wait till you get somthing straight in your eye. Basically any foreign body was the point..., advice being protect your eyes as most do not at night... With some safety/driving specs yellow lenses are even better for night time vision

On 9/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm 59 next month.

I've been riding motorcycles on and off road since i was 16.

I stopped wearing a full face before i was 19.

That means i've been doing a lot of praying the last 40 years................

1492843804186.jpg.a49bda8a9eb26c6b5121b494d98a4a93.jpg

I use a Motorcross helmet around town sometimes. The benefits are...

• Good peripheral vision
  • Good ventilation
  • visor is good on sunny days

Drawbacks are...

• have to wear sunglasses or goggles
  • they are terrible at high speed, the visor and chinbar buffets in the wind.

I also wear a full face mountain bike helmet sometimes, a Bell Sanction I got for about 3200 Baht. You compromise protection but it's light as a feather. It's fine for popping down the shops and I also use it on my track when the ground is soft but I wouldn't wear it for more than that. It's not strictly legal but 10x better protection than the pi$$pot helmets they sell in Tesco.

image.png.f141e2550019d785281179bbce4a151a.png

image.thumb.png.260d8595e718ce8c587e0d0ab2eb1432.pngI use a Real motocross helmet that has a visor. I like it as it's more breathable than a regular full face helmet. They are well priced too.
If you ignore the visor it looks the same as a full face, is the chin gap bigger than a full face? around 2000 baht? Some Real helmets are DOT

First off, you need to put a value ($) on your head.

If it's low then buy any helmet that strikes your fancy at your local Chinese accessories shop.

If you value your head, then spend as much as you can on a quality name brand helmet that has been rated by one of the following.

DOT

SNELL

ESC

Do your research lots of fake stickers put on helmets that come from China.

https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/the-safest-motorcycle-helmet-you-can-buy/

Archived