BANGKOK

Hi everyone,

I have taught in Thailand for 7 years. At the start of this year I left my job and stupidly came in and out on visa exemption stamps, extending them at Chaeng Wattana. I managed to do this 3 times in total. The 3rd time I done this, the women wasn't going to let me in unless I could show her an outward flight and told me I can't extend at CW, and the only reason I was being allowed in was to collect all my possessions. I asked her when I could come back to Thailand and she said "when you out my country more than in my country".

Fast forward 3 months and I have a job offer in Bangkok. I am currently in Malaysia and got told by a visa agent that I need a Thai Police check. However, mine is too old and I need a new one. He said I should get a tourist visa (an actual one, not an exempt one) and they should let me in to do police check.

Will I be allowed in on this tourist visa? Will it help my case if I show the invitation letter from my school and tell them I need to do police check?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Have you used up your 2 visa exempt entries at border per calendar year? If not try border entry. Otherwise fly KL to CM visa exempt. 

• Like 1

I haven't done any border entries. All have been airport. I will be flying Penang to BKK airport in 3 days with an actual tourist visa (the type stuck into passport from an embassy) 

You should not have a problem entering with a tourist visa since you do not apparently have a long history of them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You should not have a problem entering with a tourist visa since you do not apparently have a long history of them.

I have 3 of them already this year. But I haven't been in Thailand almost 3 months.

3 minutes ago, Scottyboy8 said:

I have 3 of them already this year. But I haven't been in Thailand almost 3 months.

You got visa exempt entries and have not entered using a tourist visa 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scottyboy8 said:

The 3 months out is big in your favour. Your flying into swampy? Which is also better than DM. 

You have your ticket already so roll the dice. Also you have tourist visa. You should be fine. Even though cash not really required have it with you. Hotel booking (free cancel) wouldn't hurt. You won't need it. Good luck.

• Like 2

Having a ticket out also wouldn't hurt, they've asked you for that before and they might ask for that again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Otherwise fly KL to CM visa exempt. 

I agree that KL to CM is a good route. Avoid Don Mueang if at all possible.

Given your 3 previous visa exempts, the suggestion others have made to get a visa is wise. The Thai embassy in KL is good, collect your passport the next day, just be sure to dress respectably on the day you apply, don't show tattoos, piercings etc - I have seen the conservative Muslim girls behind the counter immediately reject young guys dressed like morons. Rejection takes the form of requesting documentation that the applicant cannot realistically provide, while requiring no additional documents from those of us dressed more appropriately.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently that's the arbitrary rule Immigration seems to be following of "You are in my country more than you are in your country" for means of denial.

Did you "fully" use your 3 visa exempts (3x30 days)? I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts 6 times this year 2019 and stayed 14-18 days per visit. No issues.

Apparently the trend is that they'll let you buy your way in if they consider to deny you entry. Just don't forget to bring cash to throw at them, ahem, show them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Personally I would avoid flying in if possible. I had a close friend enter on 2 back to back extended Visa Exempts. He then went to HCMC and got an SETV with no issue. 

On flying back into Suvarnabhum he was questioned, detained and forced to fly back to Australia. Mind you he has been living in Thailand for 22 years on various Exempt, ED & WP’s. Immigration told him he must return ‘home’ for an extended period before he will be allowed back in on anything but a non-imm o or WP. 

Just a warning for you 

• Like 1