How many of you are Netflix subscribers ?

rumak

I have had True cable forever it seems ( UBC before).   For many years it was free of advertising as it was prohibited by the law.   Nowadays it is free of CONTENT !   I can't even watch it anymore as it is almost all fillers, previews, and ads.   Oh, there is an occasional program that is in its 5th season or so of reruns. I only keep it for the sports, and they are getting on my nerves as well with all the ads.  Well anyways,  I now have Netflix which helps fill in the afternoons when it is too hot to be out.  Pleasantly surprised as

some of the Series are written above the grade 5 level.   I thought Homeland was well done and even liked breaking bad.   Anyone have some shows they enjoy that are on now ??

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i watch films and "TV" programs by other means which are against forum rules to talk about.

because of my career in film and television where I looked at the most pristine images possible of 35mm film transfers in 4K and now 8K masters, including HD digital cinema, it is hard for me to watch degraded, heavily compressed images with logos in every corner, blurred images and scenes cut. 

One of my Thai girlfriends loves Netflix because of the Thai subtitles. 

7 year hiatus with television, so I just recently came out of my shell with Netflix about a year ago; a lot of what I've "discovered" has been around a while - years even.  LOL. 

Off the top of my head, House of Cards.  Narcos.  Californication.  Gave up on Breaking Bad after a few episodes.  Ozarks was pretty good.  Watched the latest Bill Burr comedy special the other night, but I like most of what he does.  Other stuff, I just don't commit it to memory.

Bit like what you've said, I can't count how many of these stupid sitcoms I've clicked on reluctantly, make it through 2 minutes and shut it off.  It's just terrible krap.  Same for a lot of the movies, and "most" of the tiresome Marvel stuff they keep cranking out. 

I'm starting to recycle things I've seen, some way more than once.

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i watch films and "TV" programs by other means which are against forum rules to talk about.

because of my career in film and television where I looked at the most pristine images possible of 35mm film transfers in 4K and now 8K masters, including HD digital cinema, it is hard for me to watch degraded, heavily compressed images with logos in every corner, blurred images and scenes cut. 

One of my Thai girlfriends loves Netflix because of the Thai subtitles. 

The Thai subtitles are a BIG plus when the significant other is watching....  

I am not that savvy about getting the "other means"...... and internet not real fast out here in Boonville.

But if you ever ride by on your motorcycle maybe you can show me how to connect 

Netflix on a smart tv is pretty good quality (to my eye)      and no interruptions or logos etc that drive me crazy on true

28 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Billions and Lost Kingdom , atm... just finished Black sails, Vikings , Peaky blinders and also rewatched Rome and Spartagus...

Thought Homeland was heavy going so stopped after S1

Homeland was a bit rough......  but better than Hawaii 5 0    or  Mc Giver     haha

We have true but its a waste of money as we only watch thai american and british news, the rest i get from " somwhere else" !!the wife likes the old series like Frazier,the detectives ,doc martin etc ,i must admit i find the older series better than much of the very PC new stuff, luckily the wife lived for a long time in the UK so doesnt need Thai subtitles.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I really like Homeland. Also, Billions, The Blacklist, Lucifer, Archer, Sherlock (TV series), Shooter (TV series), High Seas, The Umbrella Academy, One Punch Man, Pine Gap, Lost In Space (TV Series), Miss Fishers's Murder Mysteries, How I Met Your Mother, The Sinner, Wanted, Timeless, Vexed, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Black Mirror, Limitless (TV series), Happy, Sacred Games (surprisingly good for and Indian production and has English soundtrack).

Sadly, Columbo and Poirot, two of my favorite series, are blocked in Thailand.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I really like Homeland. Also, Billions, The Blacklist, Lucifer, Archer, Sherlock (TV series), Shooter (TV series), High Seas, The Umbrella Academy, One Punch Man, Pine Gap, Lost In Space (TV Series), Miss Fishers's Murder Mysteries, How I Met Your Mother, The Sinner, Wanted, Timeless, Vexed, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Black Mirror, Limitless (TV series), Happy, Sacred Games (surprisingly good for and Indian production and has English soundtrack).

Sadly, Columbo and Poirot, two of my favorite series, are blocked in Thailand.

thanks for all the suggestions......   many I have not seen  ( are they currently showing ?   well, I will check through their list.    I like Shark Tank as well...but have seen all seasons that Netflix has currently

Have it, love it. Fills up the occasional empty hour, especially before turning in.

Just finished Breaking Bad, though it jumped the shark a bit at the very end. Last night saw Goodfellas which I hadn't before. Not Scorsese's best to my mind but I'm waiting for The Irishman to drop - De Niro, Pacino, Pesci - lordie! Nibbled at Marianne, maybe I'll go back.

Their recommendation algorithm seems decent. Unbelievable and American Horror Story for me to check out next.

Added: Has anyone seen The Typewriter? Like it? I like a good scare but with atmosphere, not boo look at my awful makeup.

I got rid of TrueVisions a few years ago - expensive with do many repeats and crappy content. 

I've been using Netflix ever since - excellent value.

However, we are now amidst a 'viewing war' so many other well backed streaming services are spreading the content such that we may need a handful of packages to view a suitable range.

I've recently been enjoying Outlander, How to get away with Murder, What If,  Pariot Act....  Plenty of decent content.

I think 'Chernobyl' is on HBO so can't get that - but want to watch that too. 

Homeland is great IMO, the last season starts next February

Netflix has many good series available according to my google search. 

Here are a few I have watched in the past and a few newer ones.    

Fargo, Dexter, Better Call Saul, Nurse Jackie,  Marco Polo, Rectify, Weeds. 

Grace and Frankie is a good comedy with Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. 

The Kominsky Method is excellent also, with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin

Had cable tv. Expensive and too many ads. If im paying for it i dont want ads. Plus too many repeats.

had netflix but thought it too limited and not to my liking so left after 1 month.

Now have a kodi box. One off payment and no other fees. Hundreds of channels from all over the world. Every sports channel from around the world that i can think of. Too many movies and tv shows to mention. But u do need a fast internet connection.

only downside for me is that you dont get program listing at a glance. You need to open the channel to see what is on. But im happy with it.

I use my daughters account from Australia which costs her about $11 a month and always numerous sub accounts for same price. 

Great for mini series, movies a little old and the Netflix made movies are sort of half decent. 

I created a sub account for the missus so I can watch in English and she can read the sub titles, she’s thinks it’s good great or improving her English.

Fauda is the best series I have watched not sure if it’s available here, Outlander pretty good too.

My son in law when over a couple of months ago put in Netflix , I have now learnt what is a film and what is 10 hours of extra episodes . A few years ago I watched Bridget Jones's Diary.  Now I have seen 3 B Jones films. But some items , get to part 4 after 6 hours and then find there is another 20 hours to come , I ask you. 

2 hours ago, Sujo said:

Had cable tv. Expensive and too many ads. If im paying for it i dont want ads. Plus too many repeats.

had netflix but thought it too limited and not to my liking so left after 1 month.

Now have a kodi box. One off payment and no other fees. Hundreds of channels from all over the world. Every sports channel from around the world that i can think of. Too many movies and tv shows to mention. But u do need a fast internet connection.

only downside for me is that you dont get program listing at a glance. You need to open the channel to see what is on. But im happy with it.

sounds too good to be True  (pun intended).    in past years satellite options (don't know if kodi uses that or just internet connection)......but they would not last because of blocking or scrambling from the big boys.

What is cost for the box ?

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

I had Kodi, still have the box, but stopped using it because there is such a thing as too many choices it becomes confusing. I download the movies and TV series I want every day to a portable hard drive, then watch them at my liesure on the big screen. That way I have the programs I want when I want them. I can also watch a TV series from beginning to end without missing episodes.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

sounds too good to be True  (pun intended).    in past years satellite options (don't know if kodi uses that or just internet connection)......but they would not last because of blocking or scrambling from the big boys.

What is cost for the box ?

Im in kl. Cost was about rm350. Think thats around 4000bt. The poster above has a good point. It can be confusing. But i stick to just a few areas to select. Movies and tv series are easy and right up to date.

Mine is thru internet only. Not dish...i think

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Im in kl. Cost was about rm350. Think thats around 4000bt. The poster above has a good point. It can be confusing. But i stick to just a few areas to select. Movies and tv series are easy and right up to date.

Mine is thru internet only. Not dish...i think

kl ?  hmmm   well, one poster here says he had it in Thailand..... i will look into it     thanks.

You can't really go wrong with Netflix at around 300 Baht per month TBH.

I download most of my stuff but occasionally use Netflix.

I find they're really good for foreign series as the subtitles are perfect.

I even like subs on the English speaking shows TBH.

And has Thai subs if the Mrs wants to watch something.

The movies are pretty old and ordinary though.

Pretty sure they have a 1 month free trial.

I signed up and just stayed with it.

Have some really good shows like Unbelievable, Animal Kingdom etc.

17 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Billions and Lost Kingdom , atm... just finished Black sails, Vikings , Peaky blinders and also rewatched Rome and Spartagus...

Thought Homeland was heavy going so stopped after S1

Peaky Blinders has a new season running now. I watch it on BBC. I haven't subscribed to Netflix in a while.

I am something of a Netflix junkie which I (lawfully) access via my daughter's account in New Zealand.  I binge-watch many of the series that take my fancy.  To supplement Netflix offerings, I use a VPN to access some movie channels. All in all, I am in a good space regarding screen entertainment.  "Homeland" has probably been my favourite, with "Breaking Bad" a close second.  Different genres, but excellent storylines and acting.

14 minutes ago, allanos said:

I am something of a Netflix junkie which I (lawfully) access via my daughter's account in New Zealand.  I binge-watch many of the series that take my fancy.  To supplement Netflix offerings, I use a VPN to access some movie channels. All in all, I am in a good space regarding screen entertainment.  "Homeland" has probably been my favourite, with "Breaking Bad" a close second.  Different genres, but excellent storylines and acting.

i agree  ....    Now looking for the next series to keep my interest for a while

The problem with Netflix, and this is a trend increasingly impacting the whole streaming industry, is program networks and producers are increasingly pulling back or otherwise limiting their own programs to their own direct to consumer streaming services and denying them to others, thus cutting out the middleman (aka Netflix).

Netflix used to be a great place to catch up on TV series that originally aired on OTHER networks. But as the trend I mention above has accelerated, they've increasingly been losing those past series from other networks/sources and increasingly are having to rely on their own self-produced content, or content they've managed to license.

In the past, I'd pay for Netflix because it was an all-encompassing source for catching up on TV content in general. But these days, it's more and more Netflix only content, and that selection is just not that inspiring for me to want to pay for, when I can get what I want elsewhere legally.

Netflix used to be THE service when it came to subscription streaming. But now they're just one of many, with CBS All Access, NBC-Universal's coming Peacock service, Disney's new Disney+, ESPN's new ESPN+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Britbox in the U.S., etc etc.

I enjoy Netflix every nights since 2016, (460.-B/month), but this month I received a bill of 600.-). No problem!. also a Smart TV big screen help. A lot of movies, series and documentaries. 

Apple coming soon with a new project similar to Netflix...

let’s see what is their offers!

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with Netflix, and this is a trend increasingly impacting the whole streaming industry, is program networks and producers are increasingly pulling back or otherwise limiting their own programs to their own direct to consumer streaming services and denying them to others, thus cutting out the middleman (aka Netflix).

Netflix used to be a great place to catch up on TV series that originally aired on OTHER networks. But as the trend I mention above has accelerated, they've increasingly been losing those past series from other networks/sources and increasingly are having to rely on their own self-produced content, or content they've managed to license.

In the past, I'd pay for Netflix because it was an all-encompassing source for catching up on TV content in general. But these days, it's more and more Netflix only content, and that selection is just not that inspiring for me to want to pay for, when I can get what I want elsewhere legally.

Netflix used to me THE service when it came to subscription streaming. But now they're just one of many, with CBS All Access, NBC-Universal's coming Peacock service, Disney's new Disney+, ESPN's new ESPN+, Hulu, Britbox in the U.S., etc etc.

I fear that you are correct !   This is one case where competition is certainly not going to benefit the consumer ( ME).    At the other end of the spectrum is the example of UBC ( true).... where the lack of lawful competition has completely destroyed any relevant content.

Archived