How many of you are Netflix subscribers ?

rumak

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

I fear that you are correct !   This is one case where competition is certainly not going to benefit the consumer ( ME).    At the other end of the spectrum is the example of UBC ( true).... where the lack of lawful competition has completely destroyed any relevant content.

There have been lots of news reports over time that show how Netflix's catelog of other networks content has significantly decreased over time....

However, for folks in Thailand, the one obvious advantage Netflix retains is it's legally, officially available here and the local subscription includes Thai subtitles... Whereas most of the other services I ticked off above, are U.S. centric, meaning you need to be in the U.S. or pretend to be in order to subscribe and view.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There have been lots of news reports over time that show how Netflix's catelog of other networks content has significantly decreased over time....

However, for folks in Thailand, the one obvious advantage Netflix retains is it's legally, officially available here and the local subscription includes Thai subtitles... Whereas most of the other services I ticked off above, are U.S. centric, meaning you need to be in the U.S. or pretend to be in order to subscribe and view.

definitely agree.  the subtitiles, legality, and very good visual quality when accessed directly from a Smart TV  are all pluses.    So far i have been able to find interesting enough content....... hope they can keep it so.

Someone just reported he was charged 600 baht last month  (mine was 420 baht).   Anyone else been charged more ?

The smart tv in my bedroom (TCL) suddenly became a dumb tv and stopped being able to run Netflix. Even the TV guys who came around today couldn't fix the problem. They'll be back later. My other tv has not encountered any problems. But damn, no Netflix in bed!!!!!!! 

Just now, GarryP said:

The smart tv in my bedroom (TCL) suddenly became a dumb tv and stopped being able to run Netflix. Even the TV guys who came around today couldn't fix the problem. They'll be back later. My other tv has not encountered any problems. But damn, no Netflix in bed!!!!!!! 

Have a big 50" in the lounge that rarely gets turned on, bedtime TV is my choice as well. No different that stretching out on the lounge watching it anyway, except I don't have to wake up and go to bed.

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Android TV box, Fire TV stick, Roku stick or box, etc etc... HDMI plug and play. Some of them like Roku require a U.S. internet presence. But others don't, such as the Android TV devices and even the Amazon Fire TV stick basic/international version.

https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Basic-Available-Non-US-Customers/dp/B01ETRGE68

1178132545_2019-09-1916_44_27.jpg.a28626bc3d90af3d857bf74dd0b92ae6.jpg

Though the U.S. versions of Fire devices are cheaper and more powerful and content rich, if you can manage the internet access and ordering aspects of those.

I canceled True years ago. Had Netflix for 6 months or so and cancelled it as well.  For me Netflix lacks current content.

So I bought 2 ATV boxes. A Nvidia Shield for the lounge and a SkyStream for the BR.

The Nvidia is probably the best ATV, the SkyStream works well but is not Google certified. It will run Netflix in HD but not 4K.

The Shield is certified and will run anything.

Like some stated, an ATV [Android TV Box] can be confusing. 

These smart developers created apps that do it all for you.

I use Cyberflix. It'a free and has all the TV and movie content you will ever need. Has a TV guide as well but no sports.

For Sports you can use Mobodro. It has every channel.

You can download Cyberflix for Android, Windows MAC and IOS

If you get hooked on Cyberflix as I did, you can pay a one time $25. fee for the VIP version which takes you off their public server and on a private server limited to 200 users.

This insures you get the best possible connection. I get little to no buffering, then again I am using the best ATV boxes that happen to be a bit pricey. 

I understand that Mecool  has a Google certified box that does a great job as well for under $100.

12 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Friend back home in Aus is a subscriber and lets me use one of his logins. Netflix and youtube is all I use.

I use the daughters account. She is on an USA VPN for it so if I log in via Opera via the USA, I get USA content. Right now I log in via Thailand so am getting Asian content because it has old movies Id like to watch again. Once Im bored with Netlfix, I'l watch Prime Video via VPN

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Someone just reported he was charged 600 baht last month  (mine was 420 baht).   Anyone else been charged more ?

sorry, had a confusion, you are right, I charged 420 baht.  I received a 600 baht bill from another purchase on the same Netflix invoice issue date, and I recently read that Netflix would raise the quote...

48 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I use the daughters account. She is on an USA VPN for it so if I log in via Opera via the USA, I get USA content. Right now I log in via Thailand so am getting Asian content because it has old movies Id like to watch again. Once Im bored with Netlfix, I'l watch Prime Video via VPN

Well, even us tech lizards can learn something new.   I never knew what a VPN is so now i have looked it up.

From what i just read expressvpn seems highly rated.   I am always wary of adding stuff to my computer but from responses here it seems like a legal and safe option.   Any input from members is appreciated and thx. Nyezhov for shaking my brain cells.

12 minutes ago, rumak said:

Well, even us tech lizards can learn something new.   I never knew what a VPN is so now i have looked it up.

From what i just read expressvpn seems highly rated.   I am always wary of adding stuff to my computer but from responses here it seems like a legal and safe option.   Any input from members is appreciated and thx. Nyezhov for shaking my brain cells.

Just use the Opera Browser, the VPN is free and seems pretty fast.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For me no Netflix, no TV, no social media.

But I look (mostly short) videos on YouTube and I like reading (e)books.

And I like big cinema.

My man.. Thaivisa IS social media... and you have 4700+ posts.  You're an addict ????

Btw, Neflix is great.... I unloaded True about 5 years ago. Used to watch Netflix via a VPN to the States... now Netflix TH has more than enough content to satisfy with an occasional iTunes rental here and there.

Looking forward to the new Apple TV+ service and also Disney+ 

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I canceled True years ago. Had Netflix for 6 months or so and cancelled it as well.  For me Netflix lacks current content.

So I bought 2 ATV boxes. A Nvidia Shield for the lounge and a SkyStream for the BR.

The Nvidia is probably the best ATV, the SkyStream works well but is not Google certified. It will run Netflix in HD but not 4K.

The Shield is certified and will run anything.

Like some stated, an ATV [Android TV Box] can be confusing. 

These smart developers created apps that do it all for you.

I use Cyberflix. It'a free and has all the TV and movie content you will ever need. Has a TV guide as well but no sports.

For Sports you can use Mobodro. It has every channel.

You can download Cyberflix for Android, Windows MAC and IOS

If you get hooked on Cyberflix as I did, you can pay a one time $25. fee for the VIP version which takes you off their public server and on a private server limited to 200 users.

This insures you get the best possible connection. I get little to no buffering, then again I am using the best ATV boxes that happen to be a bit pricey. 

I understand that Mecool  has a Google certified box that does a great job as well for under $100.

I need to learn about some of these options !

13 hours ago, Sujo said:

Now have a kodi box. One off payment and no other fees. Hundreds of channels from all over the world. Every sports channel from around the world that i can think of. Too many movies and tv shows to mention. But u do need a fast internet connection.

only downside for me is that you dont get program listing at a glance. You need to open the channel to see what is on. But im happy with it.

I use a firestick and installed the 'IPTV smarters app', then bought a one year subscription for about £70

Like kodo, It has over 10,000 channels from around the world, but the 'IPTV smarters app' gives you the program list at a glance and its easy to use. It also has thousands of videos on demand. I live in the UK and the wife watches live Thai tv with it.

Here's a couple a pics of how it looks:

IMG-20190521-WA0002.jpg.17879ceeedb9dca8ec739d3dff22cf3d.jpg 

IMG-20190521-WA0001.jpg.f663e3d3029515a52725c510354268cf.jpg

Kind of an interesting quirk I'm reading re all the Netflix fans of the series "Homeland" here....

Apparently, Homeland actually is NOT available via the U.S. version of Netflix. Because instead, the U.S. streaming rights are held by Showtime and available via the Showtime paid add-on to various U.S. streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime, and well as Showtime itself.

But outside the U.S., Homeland is available on various country versions of Netflix, including Thailand. So all those here with TH subscriptions to Netflix can enjoy something that your U.S. Netflix counterparts can't actually watch.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/homeland-netflix/

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

I cant believe anyone would still be subscribed to True. Netflix is awesome..

true only for sports.   i like some smaller sporting events  like  badminton and asian golf (thais are doing surprisingly well ! ).   also snooker.   those 3 sports have few interruptions !    then there is baseball and football .   getting tired of those (and basketball) as its just a minute of play followed by 3 minutes of BS.

Also a series or two that i sometimes watch.   But my True love might be gone sooner than later .

I do tell myself that its only 50 baht a day (about same as a beer)   lol    

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Kind of an interesting quirk I'm reading re all the Netflix fans of the series "Homeland" here....

Apparently, Homeland actually is NOT available via the U.S. version of Netflix. Because instead, the U.S. streaming rights are held by Showtime and available via the Showtime paid add-on to various U.S. streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime, and well as Showtime itself.

But outside the U.S., Homeland is available on various country versions of Netflix, including Thailand. So all those here with TH subscriptions to Netflix can enjoy something that your U.S. Netflix counterparts can't actually watch.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/homeland-netflix/

One of the few series that I could watch past two seasons as the plots and locations changed enough to keep it interesting.   Characters get a bit old after a while .. but better than most

Archived