Suriya off to Japan to lure investment

webfact

By THE NATION

800_b2a5d56dedc0099.jpg?v=1568800495

Suriya

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit will lead a delegation to Japan from September 24-27 to try and woo investment.

Passakorn Chairat, deputy director-general of the Industrial Promotion Department, said they would meet the head of Mitsubishi Motors on September 25 and invite him to expand investment in Thailand, especially in the next-generation automotive business.

The ministry is ready to facilitate such a move, Passakorn said.

Suriya will also address about 20 corporate representatives who are members of the Keidanren Japan Business Federation about possible collaborations in Thailand. 

The Thai delegation will visit the city of Toyama on September 26, meet the governor and outline Thailand’s industrial policy at a seminar expected to draw more than 100 businesspeople.

Passakorn said Toyama is renowned as a hub for smart electronics, next-generation automotive components and medical innovations.

That evening, the delegation will meet with the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organisation regarding collaboration in forging a circular economy, including the recycling of electronic and automotive waste.

They will also meet with representatives of the Japanese Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry to discuss expanding trade and economic ties further between the countries.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376375

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-19

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They can lure all they like. I believe I read earlier where the Japanese have put on record they are not much interested in investing in Prayut's mythical Eastern Economic Corridor because of the lack of skilled labour. 

Thailand's poor education system coming back to bite them on the ass?

I must be such a stupid person as I can not find many advantages about setting up business in Thailand especially at the moment. International law means nothing so even if your a multi national and it seems someone important likes what you have can with the slight of a pen kick you out, only owning 49% of your business (a Thai spouse resolves this), having to employ a ratio of Thai to Farang employee's, the brown envelopes and the one that really put me off the drive by shootings out of jealousy (yes that happens in Thailand. 3 times I can remember in the small town I lived in). But I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but its the impression I got oh and Toyota debacle when Toyota just closed down their factory. 

Archived