Renewing retirement visa - how many days before

I have lived here for many years on an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement.

For the first time I have found that my next and last 90 day report is due 27 days before the renewment day.

When I did my last 90 day ( 14/08 ) the officer at the KK office said I could apply for Extension of Stay at the same time as when my next 90 day was due.

In the past I have done the new application a few days early and the date stamp has always been the initial retirement application date.

As my next 90 days is for 11/11 and my Extension of Stay is 07/12 it would be 27 days early.

If I applied so early would they start my new Retirement visa from 07/12 ?

Although I don't live in KK my local bus is only an hours journey.

In Chiangmai, you can renew your annual extension up to 45 days before the expiration date.  And, as others have stated, the date of renewal and expiration date will always remain the same regardless if you renew 1 day before or 45 days before.  Apparently some Immigration offices will only allow renewal up to 30 days prior to expiration (although there are a few reports of people being allowed to do it earlier than that if you'll be out of the country for that 30-day time period (and can show them proof of airline tickets or whatever). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have lived here for many years on an Extension of Stay Based on Retirement.

For the first time I have found that my next and last 90 day report is due 27 days before the renewment day.

When I did my last 90 day ( 14/08 ) the officer at the KK office said I could apply for Extension of Stay at the same time as when my next 90 day was due.

In the past I have done the new application a few days early and the date stamp has always been the initial retirement application date.

As my next 90 days is for 11/11 and my Extension of Stay is 07/12 it would be 27 days early.

If I applied so early would they start my new Retirement visa from 07/12 ?

Although I don't live in KK my local bus is only an hours journey.

KK is regon 4 and they will accept up to 30 days before your current extension finishes (not 45). As others have said the new extension (not visa) is always dated from the expiry of your current extension so you loose nothing by applying early.

This is unlike the 90 day report which runs for 90 days from the day you report.

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Can that be done at any time; as I would like to be able to change the annual dates as it's cutting into our long term out of country travel/life....

You have to ask your local immigration office about it.

Many will tell you do it when your current extension of stay is near the end of it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

They add one year onto your current extension of stay ( it's not a retirement visa) regardless of when you apply.

It's an extension of stay based on retirement. That's why it's called a retirement visa. If Immigration ask you for your visa, it's not the extension they ask for, they ask for the initial visa, normally the Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement, or maybe an O-A Long Stay Visa. 

Many thanks to all for their comments.

I have always found KK Immigration helpful.

As one post mentioned - going early gives time for any changes in policy regarding documents - which is why I always report a few days early.

At least the documentation is far far less than that which was required when I was working here, the company personnel officer always came with me.

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

On Samui you can do it up to 1 month before that does not mean you lose a month

1 month before is the rule, but it's depending of the local immigration office; up till recently Samui did not accept one month in advance, but only one week, and if you smiled and waied a lot 10-12 days could be accepted, but now they seem to recommend "one month" to some...????

Some immigrations resets the 90-days address report when applying for an extension of stay – for example Samui that has always (the last 10+ years) done so, so before accepting "one month" was accepted, we had an 90-day visit about 3-weeks before the annual extension – other immigrations count the 90-days separate, which I believe was the original intention based on earlier postings about the 90-day subject.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It's an extension of stay based on retirement. That's why it's called a retirement visa. If Immigration ask you for your visa, it's not the extension they ask for, they ask for the initial visa, normally the Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement, or maybe an O-A Long Stay Visa. 

It is not called a Retirement Visa.

23 hours ago, Nemises said:

Not just my agent gets it “wrong”. Obviously a few hundred thousand others do also...including Imm Officers, TV members, Agents etc

And that thus makes it right? 

You also twisted his words by moving the 'just'.....

On 9/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, pgrahmm said:

Thinking of switching from retirement to a marriage visa....

Can that be done at any time; as I would like to be able to change the annual dates as it's cutting into our long term out of country travel/life.....

Might moving the annual dates forward by a couple of months be helpful to you? If so, your best bet might be to apply for a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting your wife from the expiry date of your current permission to stay, and then, in due course, for your first annual marriage extension. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Might moving the annual dates forward by a couple of months be helpful to you? If so, your best bet might be to apply for a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting your wife from the expiry date of your current permission to stay, and then, in due course, for your first annual marriage extension. 

Actually, backwards about 3 or 4 months is what would be best for our timetable.....

That's why I perked up about the "early" part of it.....