GPS tracking

eezergood

Does anyone currently use or have any advice about purchasing a GPS tracker for my car. I would prefer not to use one with a sim card (i have my reasons) or can the cars gps/maps be used as such? I was told to use a pet tracking version, like a dog collar style keyring?

Thanks in advance 

What's your objective? 

I use a Magellan (or Mio- same unit- different branding) dash camera with GPS, along with a Garmin GPS, and I know exactly where my car (and I) have been, along with our speed and a video of the scenery and audio of what's said in the car.  But that requires downloading the MicroSD cards into my laptop.

If you're trying to track your car remotely, clandestinely, and in real time (like tracking a stolen car, or seeing where your GF is right now) that requires something different.  I've never found that be necessary, so I can't advise.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

What's your objective? 

I use a Magellan (or Mio- same unit- different branding) dash camera with GPS, along with a Garmin GPS, and I know exactly where my car (and I) have been, along with our speed and a video of the scenery and audio of what's said in the car.  But that requires downloading the MicroSD cards into my laptop.

If you're trying to track your car remotely, clandestinely, and in real time (like tracking a stolen car, or seeing where your GF is right now) that requires something different.  I've never found that be necessary, so I can't advise.

I am indeed looking at the latter - the reasons to why are mine, but thank you for your reply. 

leave your spare Android in the car... you don't even need a SIM... no need if you leave it working GoogleMapsOffline, with WiFi enabled. Every time the car returns home, download (or simply view the blue lines) the History... all at the convenience of from on your own phone's screen. Just have the Google Mapping set to the same Email (gMail) address...

all you need is an extra power lead, to keep the phone alive, to charge enough to last, in between drives... even leave the battery conservation to the Max possible but still letting the Maps function. 

I've been using Androids Google OfflineMaps for driving all over Europe, and Thailand, through the last 4 years. And every blue line is still there today...

Having it Offline but with Wifi On, means every Wifi hotspot/location that the phone goes near, is recorded by name...

4 hours ago, eezergood said:

This needs to be more discreet, more like a stolen car idea. 

4 hours ago, tifino said:

you'll just have to innocently buy the Mrs a new car, complete with InDash GPS complete!

My wife and I both use Samsung find my mobile. You just need to login identify the phone and it will tell you exactly where it is.

You could track from your PC or another android phone 

You can also use a continuous track on the phone.

So buy yourself a new mobile and SIM card.  Also buy a large power pack and tape them together so you should be able track the phone for several days.

Just stick the power pack and phone in somewhere like the spare wheel housing. 

On 9/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, JAS21 said:

My wife and I both use Samsung find my mobile. You just need to login identify the phone and it will tell you exactly where it is.

You could track from your PC or another android phone 

You can also use a continuous track on the phone.

So buy yourself a new mobile and SIM card.  Also buy a large power pack and tape them together so you should be able track the phone for several days.

Just stick the power pack and phone in somewhere like the spare wheel housing. 

And prey she doesn't get a puncture.

Most car accessory shops sell them, I used to have one from equatorgps but I think the tracking site closed down. You can buy cheap tracking units from eBay or amazon and put a thai SIM card in - most work off text messages, you don’t need a data plan just a text only SIM card which is very cheap. Then you just log into your web account and you can see where the car is and where it’s been. Very useful if it gets stolen. 

On 9/19/2019 at 12:30 PM, eezergood said:

I am indeed looking at the latter - the reasons to why are mine, but thank you for your reply. 

You do need real time tracking. Why? Because you can get very cheap very good gps jammer and gsm jammer and then let the jammer tell to the system onboard how the car did drive. So you are seeing a programmed direction.

A good real time tracking system will know this when it happend and warn you.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:30 PM, eezergood said:
On 9/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, impulse said:

Given that you want to do as eezergood said, there is no way to track real time without using a SIM card unless you have military equipment together with the man power to run it, or the budget to pay a large number of people to do that for you. Also only the SIM card option is borderline legal.

plenty of trackers on Lazada but they need a SIM card. DTAC do a 365 day validity extension for 100 Baht.

But there are jammers too https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gps-tracker-i245974897-s378758657.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.63.74865b63HdHx3P&search=1

There is this pet tracker but not sure if it will work if out of range of your phone. Besides it seems to chime when it is out of range!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/best-seller-fashion-40-tracer-locator-tag-alarm-wallet-key-pet-dog-tracker-i374364762-s729398340.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.51.74865b63vqzO6i&search=1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, Autonuaq said:

You do need real time tracking. Why? Because you can get very cheap very good gps jammer and gsm jammer and then let the jammer tell to the system onboard how the car did drive. So you are seeing a programmed direction.

A good real time tracking system will know this when it happend and warn you.

I think i shall take one of these options and trial them 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Given that you want to do as eezergood said, there is no way to track real time without using a SIM card unless you have military equipment together with the man power to run it, or the budget to pay a large number of people to do that for you. Also only the SIM card option is borderline legal.

How could it be illegal, I would be tracking my property ? 

10 hours ago, eezergood said:

How could it be illegal, I would be tracking my property ? 

This is Thailand, laws are different here.

There could be anti-stalking laws that would relate to the occupant/s of the tracked vehicle. 

I don't know that there are. Do you know that there are not?

Considering the prevalence of Mia Noi in extremely influential circles I certainly wouldn't be surprised to hear that laws like that exist. 

32 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

Tracking without a SIM card does not exist. How do you expect to send a signal ?!

Just keep an old mobile in the car and you have a GPS tracker. The cheap bikes trackers are <deleted>.

The best Android free GPS tracker that I have found and tried:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greenalp.realtimetracker2&hl=en

Radio you send the signal by radio.We used radio and gps a lot in surveying.

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

This is Thailand, laws are different here.

There could be anti-stalking laws that would relate to the occupant/s of the tracked vehicle. 

I don't know that there are. Do you know that there are not?

Considering the prevalence of Mia Noi in extremely influential circles I certainly wouldn't be surprised to hear that laws like that exist. 

it does not - yes I have 

Archived