Pattaya: Russian tourists robbed in midnight attack at knife point

webfact

Pattaya: Russian tourists robbed in midnight attack at knife point 

4pm.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

Ruk Siam News reported on Facebook that a Russian couple had been robbed at knife point by two men in a black pick-up with no plates. 

The Russians told Pol Maj Saijai Khamjunla that they had been walking back to the Laguna Beach hotel in Thepprasit Soi 17 when they were confronted by two men. 

The husband resisted but armed with a knife they grabbed a shoulder bag and attempted to drive off. 

The Russian managed to grab hold of a wing mirror that was damaged as the assailants escaped into the night after the attack at 12.30 am on Wednesday.   

The bag contained only a phone and a few documents.

A patrol was sent to the area and CCTV is being studied to get a lead in the case. 

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-19

Probably royal thai policemen who were on, or off, duty. There would be zero way to catch them. And even if caught, the other cops wouldn't even file a report. Thais know they can rob and hurt foreigners, and they will either not be caught (probable), or the police will not do anything about it. Its bad for tourism and Thailand's image to bring these events to light and uphold the rule of law.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how often that happens and how often it is not in the news.

A friend was stabbed on Sukhumvit a couple of years ago. He survived - just about.

It was never in the news.

And I am pretty sure that was not the only unreported incident. 

I confidently believe the Western news reporting networks have been told to cut down on the number of such reports due to the negative image on tourism. Some years ago there were many more and I just don't believe the police have got a grip of things, it takes a bribe to get them to react mostly,

Reading the Thai Facebook page , it is clear that most comments are very worried about the tourist numbers going down this year and incidents like this are not helping.  Pattaya is going down the drain.  

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I just don't believe the police have got a grip of things, it takes a bribe to get them to react mostly,

Mostly?  They are too busy to react to crime, robbing road-users at numerous stick-ups.  Two more foreigners who will go home and spread the good news about Thailand and how important tourists are. 

6 hours ago, soistalker said:

Probably royal thai policemen who were on, or off, duty. There would be zero way to catch them. And even if caught, the other cops wouldn't even file a report. Thais know they can rob and hurt foreigners, and they will either not be caught (probable), or the police will not do anything about it. Its bad for tourism and Thailand's image to bring these events to light and uphold the rule of law.

An interesting hypothesis.

While incidents like this get the attention of the news media, they are still relatively rare in Thailand and in Pattaya, in particular. No one will (or should) adjust their vacation plans because of a story like this. The real problem with tourism in Thailand is economic -- a Baht that is unjustifiably (artificially) strong, a Pound and US Dollar that are justifiably weak (and getting weaker by the week) and a weak European economy. If the economic conditions change/improve for tourists, they will return in large numbers -- "fix it and they will come...". Until then, the expat community can enjoy the quiet and suffer with the strong Baht....

On 9/19/2019 at 11:02 AM, toofarnorth said:

I did tell my family in England who wanted to come way up here but first Patts on the way as a family resort. 

After a lot of chat I suggested not for my family.

Yeah as they'd be way too scared coming to Pattaya. I mean nothing ever happens like this in England but Pattaya, man it's such an evil place. <deleted> stick with the jungle mate but stop making ignorant posts based on an event that could and does happen everywhere. Including  'up there'!

Archived