Why Bother With The 800k Baht Method?

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That "pile of similar documents" may get entered on the computer later. I can't believe they would instigate that procedure without any proof that you complied.

and they sure would not leave a possible fining fee income unused ….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

and they sure would not leave a possible fining fee income unused ….

When I renewed my extension a couple of months ago, the gave me the paperwork about reporting with a ban book update in 90 days, but never noticed if there was a penalty for non-compliance, but imagine there would have to be.

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

When I renewed my extension a couple of months ago, the gave me the paperwork about reporting with a ban book update in 90 days, but never noticed if there was a penalty for non-compliance, but imagine there would have to be.

here my anonymized copy ,I asked when travelling … if by any date of return I come in to 24 hours after arrival later if it is O.K. the answer of the ret.ext. desk lady was a ..smile and O.K. nod

90 day notice bank saldo.png

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing since the 3 months check is not required in the police order.

That is why most offices are not asking for it. Some people have been told it will be checked when the apply for the next extension.

Thats funny. They just make up the laws as things go along. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You still have to have 400K.

Yes, but only for 2 months (or maybe 3 if the IO wants to see it when I go back to get the extension stamp) Then It's mine to do with what I like.

Option 2 of course is that I continue with income method.

But I am definitely not locking up 800K for 5 months!

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Had I just read the topic headline 'Why Bother With The 800k Baht Method?' and plowed straight in with my answer, it would go like this:

Yes indeed why bother with this method thus allowing the Imm Pol to dictate to me what I can and cannot do with my own money?

I appreciate that some folks may not have a choice in this, due lack of sufficient monthly income. For my own part though, I am now in a position to make that choice. And, although the 800K is the easiest option, I will continue with the marriage method.

Thus I can decide what to do with my money. 

I'm beginning to feel that Cambodia is a lot more appealing (cheaper and easier, and offering a similar life) than doing all this. Presumably transferring arbitrary lumps x00,000 baht back out of Thailand is not as easy as transferring it in, and subject to all kinds of deductions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, but only for 2 months (or maybe 3 if the IO wants to see it when I go back to get the extension stamp) Then It's mine to do with what I like.

Option 2 of course is that I continue with income method.

But I am definitely not locking up 800K for 5 months!

Doesn't worry me. Interest rates are so p*ss poor these days the loss is minimal, I'll die with money in the bank so who cares? Not the 800K, that's willed.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

No it cannot. There has to be a residual of 400k even after post seasoning.

It's a draconian requirement.

I stand corrected, but it's irrelevant to me anyway as the 800K hasn't been touched in 12 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quandow said:

The question: If a person can go to an agent for ~12k baht and get the extension of stay done, thereby releasing 800k baht,

where do they only charge that to supply the money aswell

but what if they start to check on these type of extensions

Edited by steve187

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No it cannot. There has to be a residual of 400k even after post seasoning.

It's a draconian requirement.

In return for allowing you to live in their country, they request certain concessions on your part.  One of them is to insure you won't be a burden on society here, along with a request that you forego about a dollar a day in interest on your $13,000 vs what you could make in an alternative investment. 

Seems pretty reasonable.  Post back if they start taxing your retirement income, or start taxing your assets, or make that 400,000 non-refundable...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

In return for allowing you to live in their country, they request certain concessions on your part.  One of them is to insure you won't be a burden on society here, along with a request that you forego about a dollar a day in interest on your $13,000 vs what you could make in an alternative investment. 

Seems pretty reasonable.  Post back if they start taxing your retirement income, or start taxing your assets, or make that 400,000 non-refundable...

If this was the real reason that they impose this requirement, then why do they allow the income method which requires no capital sum at all?

You're making up an excuse to suit the facts, whereas most of us know the real reason.

It results from a rather clumsy attempt by Big Joke (remember him?) to curb the activities of the agents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1