Why Bother With The 800k Baht Method?

1 hour ago, fletchsmile said:

Personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole any agent that offers to defraud the rules for a fee, unless I've absolutely no choice. If absolutely no choice, then I'd seriously consider why I'm here.

Just follow the rules as shown byDavid 555 in what's official. Find out what your IO office is doing and follow up. It's one thing making a mistake or breaching a rule. Completely different getting caught defrauding it as a criminal.

For me, it simply isn't worth the risk of getting charged with fraud and deported, and potentially black listed from returning to Thailand. The result would be severe: losing access to my home, kids having to leave school, UK resettlement visa needed for the wife for us to be together, and a major upheaval to life generally

Cheers

Fletch ???? 

There is not one report that I know of where a Retirement Visa receipient or agent have been busted for Retirement Visa related business with Imm.

Immigration encourages and welcomes them.

It is way way too much money spread throughout the system.

But, do what is best for you of course.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, but I believed you were talking of the present. 

Ok... no, not talking about present... He's planning to let his extension expire in first half of 2020, but I suspect he will change his mind and put the 800k in the bank 3 mths before. People can always change their minds when they figure out it's not worth the hassle. It's not like he doesn't have the money working in Saudi making big bucks... But, he's not making the 65k xfers now.

Edited by BertM

16 minutes ago, billsmart said:

The reason not to hire an agent is it is illegal. ????

Not sure that is correct. It is Thailand, pushing the bendy rules around is  standard approach. Even what the agent does, facilitate the signing off on bank or income requirements, has provision in the rules.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TSF said:

I'm in a long-term relationship with a Thai woman, so remain for that reason alone. However, if I was unattached I'd depart ASAP. Cambo would be a first choice, I've been there many times for holidays, as you say it's a similar lifestyle. Many things are cheaper than Thailand, and many things are similar prices. I'm not sure about medical/doctors though...Thailand is a much better place to be if you get ill. 

I've been married to one for ages, but we never lived in Thailand, so I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Latin America is not really viable, because it's more expensive to get there from UK than Asia, and she doesn't speak Spanish. Malaysia want even more deposits than Thailand. Italy, France, Spain, Holland is a possibilty for her work, but it's EU. I hear (from Italians that) Italy is a bureaucratic ballache, France would have to be specific parts of the south of it, and it's not entirely easy or affordable. Spain doesn't appeal to me as much as Portugal, but it's got some appeal. Holland is small, dull and too similar to the UK for me. I think as long as you can get to Bangkok for medical stuff, Cambodia has some appeal.

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Its one of the few things of officialdom that has gotten easier over my time here ;+) I am in the process of "repatriating" my finances held over many years here. Not as easy as in the "real" world as they won't allow me to do it online here still. I figure better to get it out before they have another great idea and end up making it harder again. 

BTW the 800k falls within the daily transfer limit (50k$) and the charges are not more than my overseas bank charges.

Well that's good to hear.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Similar life?

If a person has little respect for themselves and is so desperate to relegate their life to a 3rd world environment, then good luck.

I do the 800k easy peasy.

This isn't about willy waving; your non-specific laying into Cambodia doesn't really add much to the thread.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i thought you said your agent quoted 25k, get your story straight

hmm..

7 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Some of you guys really annoy me.

You want to make Thailand your home away from home & bi,,,, & grizzle about having to have a measly 800,000 Bht in YOUR bank account at a bank of  YOUR choice which cannot be accessed by anyone but YOU.

Get a life preferably in another country

Again... This isn't about willy waving; your non-specific laying into Cambodia doesn't really add much to the thread.

• Like 2

Can't see why anybody would use a retirement extension when a marriage extension is available and can't see why anybody would use the 800 or 400k in the bank method when monthly income is available

Also the use of an agent is perfectly legal if TI approve an extension as they are the law.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

There is not one report that I know of where a Retirement Visa receipient or agent have been busted for Retirement Visa related business with Imm.

Posts like yours always make me laugh, that start with sentences like: "there's not one ... that I know of", " I don't know anyone..." etc. ???? 

That you don't know of one is probably true. 

That they don't happen is completely wrong. Read a Thai newspaper, Bangkok Post, watch TV etc etc

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/visa-news/thai-immigration-chief-warns-against-illegitimate-visa-services/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing since the 3 months check is not required in the police order.

That is why most offices are not asking for it. Some people have been told it will be checked when the apply for the next extension.

This is off the topic, however relevant, as I would like to ask if there is any time period required to keep the required (400,000) in the bank for the extension base on being married to a Thai, or can you just draw down on it after you apply for your extension ?

Just don't want to get caught with my pants down so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is off the topic, however relevant, as I would like to ask if there is any time period required to keep the required (400,000) in the bank for the extension base on being married to a Thai, or can you just draw down on it after you apply for your extension ?

The 400k  has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply. There are no rules stating it has to be in the bank for any amount of time beyond that.

But some offices are wanting proof it is still being in the bank when your return to get the one year extension stamp near the end of the under consideration period. Check with your local office about it when you apply.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Just because we haven't seen a report doesn't mean much.

And aside from being busted, the result of using an agent isn't always peaches and cream.

This guy eventually got the problem he had sorted, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, geronimo said:

My retirement visa is always due in June, and I have an agent who does everything, including putting the funds up etc, and have been using him for a decade or more. So, last year I give him all the docs as usual and around the right time I call him and he told me its done, so I went to Changwattana to collect the passport, which I do. A quick look at the visa stamp tells me it says 22 June 2019, so all is well and I return home. Never bother doing the 90 day thing as he clears that for 100 bt, and around December, I had to use my passport for something and when I looked closely at the visa stamp, it was actually 22 June 2018!!

I was already 6 months overstay!!!!!

On 9/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, geronimo said:

By this time I have visions of being carted off to IDC, anyway, I was ushered into a room where this imm officer covered in braid told me to sit down.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

I'm beginning to feel that Cambodia is a lot more appealing (cheaper and easier, and offering a similar life) than doing all this. Presumably transferring arbitrary lumps x00,000 baht back out of Thailand is not as easy as transferring it in, and subject to all kinds of deductions. 

As long as you do not require some medical help- things such as blood tests are sent to Bangkok. The political situation there is worse than Thailand 

Back to the OP - I think as others have said - it’s peace of mind- sticking to the rules . Yes 800000 is a reasonable amount of money , but it just sits and does not go away. 

As a retiree- I have all the time in the world - in a year I spend at most 2 hours a year at immigration- not exactly a huge burden .  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can't see why anybody would use a retirement extension when a marriage extension is available and can't see why anybody would use the 800 or 400k in the bank method when monthly income is available

Also the use of an agent is perfectly legal if TI approve an extension as they are the law.

Do you think living with my boyfriend would count? 

Not everyone is married - and there are many on TV would never even consider that option.

Edited by peterb17
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k  has to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply. There are no rules stating it has to be in the bank for any amount of time beyond that.

But some offices are wanting proof it is still being in the bank when your return to get the one year extension stamp near the end of the under consideration period. Check with your local office about it when you apply.

I confirm that at Chaeng Wattana when I did mine this year, the immigration officer specifically told me that they wanted to see the 400k proof of funds when I returned 4 weeks after the application was submitted, during that period under consideration

They checked to see, when I went back to "hear the result" and get my full one year, that my bank book had been updated to show money still in my bank account. Once completed I asked if I could now withdraw the money if I wanted they told me yes.

So BKK CW Wanted 2+1 months and checked it before issuing the final stamp

Edited by fletchsmile

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i thought you said your agent quoted 25k, get your story straight

Sure, quoted several prices but never used one.

I actually researched it to share information on here as to what they are charging.

So please, next time get your facts straight..

thanks

Edited by bkk6060

55 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Posts like yours always make me laugh, that start with sentences like: "there's not one ... that I know of", " I don't know anyone..." etc. ???? 

That you don't know of one is probably true. 

That they don't happen is completely wrong. Read a Thai newspaper, Bangkok Post, watch TV etc etc

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/visa-news/thai-immigration-chief-warns-against-illegitimate-visa-services/

Haha.

Funny you are contradicting your own comments.

The article and video give no specific information about anything or anyone who has been busted.

Just they are doing this and that.

Then the lawyer tries to sell his services.

Believe what you want.  There is no ¨crackdown¨ and I will stick to my original posting.

4 hours ago, USNret said:

By my calculation, I could be earning around $100USD each month on that 800K if it were invested in the USA.  So that's over $14,000 in lost earnings in 12 years, and much more if you compound the earnings. 

Gosh, how will you survive .....?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

And there you have it folks. Chilly07 beat me too it. All you have to do Marry a Thai. I bet most of you retired have a girl right? Or maybe a ladyboy, that's another discussion ;). Why don't you just file a few more pieces of paper and photos and get the "Thai Wife" extension of stay? Then all you are required to show is 40,000 baht monthly income. You never have to park any money in the bank. 

7 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Renewed my retirement extension recently at Chiang Mai and was told that the bank book will be checked when applying for extension next year. Also to make sure 800,000 is the minimum for the next 3 months.

Got the same three months ago. have to do a 90 day next Tuesday, will take the book and see if they ask for it.