Video: No seatbelts: Couple propelled through windshield in smash near Bangkok

webfact

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You cannot tell a Thai what to do, ever. They will always do whatever they want to do, regardless of the consequences. They are incapable of forward thinking and knowing what those consequences might be. That is especially so when driving, which is why so many drive as if they are playing a video game.

That's it, that's what I always say when you driving on the roads in LOS, it looks like a videogame, until now, I'm always the winner.

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

reminds me of drivers education films back in the 70's. every American teenager had to watch. 

i will never forget watching Mechanized Death at 16 years old.

https://documentaryheaven.com/mechanized-death-–-legendary-driving-safety-film/

When I was a kid, I lived down the street from Phyllis Vaughn, one of those who started the Highway Safety Foundation that produced those movies. We shoveled snow from her walkway a time or two - she paid well.  That was about 1962 in Mansfield, Ohio.  That was right about the time that a few people started installing seat belts in their cars.

In 1960, accountant Richard Wayman and photographer Phyllis Vaughn started the Cleveland-based Highway Safety Foundation after amassing a sizeable collection of photos taken at auto crash sites and shooting an educational film, SIGNAL 30, which incorporated crash site footage. The Foundation’s film production wing, Safety Enterprises, went on to produce a number of now-legendary auto safety films (including WHEELS OF TRAGEDY and MECHANIZED DEATH) incorporating extremely grisly real-life imagery, which were shown to unsuspecting high school students across the United States in the 1960s and 70s.

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

After a lot of nagging from me, I finally got my wife's niece to stop having her daughter sit on her lap in the front seat. A horribly dangerous practise.

So this weekend we had a rare visit from my wife's son with his wife and 2 year old. They are now doing the same thing.

I'm not a Thai basher, as I'm sure everyone here knows, but on issues like this they do not and will not listen. In one ear and out the other.

when my wife and I first met, she would not use a seat belt.  After the second refusal, I just switched off the engine, got out of the car, made a cup of coffee and sat drinking it and reading. When she questioned me, I told her that she would never again ride with me in a car if she didn't wear a seat belt.  She quickly got the message. 

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

when my wife and I first met, she would not use a seat belt.  After the second refusal, I just switched off the engine, got out of the car, made a cup of coffee and sat drinking it and reading. When she questioned me, I told her that she would never again ride with me in a car if she didn't wear a seat belt.  She quickly got the message. 

One time when we were kids misbehaving in back of the car on a long trip, my Dad kicked us out on the side of the road.  Made us run behind the car about a half kilometer until he would let us back in.  :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Good for you. Nice tactic. I don't have a problem with my wife. It's been seatbelts from day one. And she knows full well that I would insist every time if she were not to. But persuading others over whom I have less influence is a different matter.

When I suggested to my wife that she speaks to her son regarding the safety of her granddaughter, it was the same old Thai response. 'It's up to them'.

Even when I explained about the danger of putting a small child directly in front of a 'locked and loaded' airbag, it made no difference.

It's head against a brick wall time with this issue. My brother in law often drives the wife and I (it's her car but she doesn't drive - she has had too many spills on a motorbike to want to!)

He has this annoying habit of not belting up and worse, IMO, driving everywhere one-handed. We live where the roads are very steep, twisty-turney and he frequently has to change hands quickly as he runs out of purchase to avoid crossing the centre line on a bend. I tell him every time he needs 2 hands but he just laughs it off with a 'mai pen rai'. To which I reply 'mai pen rai then you die'. He laughs again, as he again ends up on the wrong side of the road for a few seconds!

He does belt up now when I glower at him - he needs the pickup for his music business - but I am pretty sure he doesn't unless I am in the car. I opt to drive now most of the time - he thinks I drive too slowly of course.

We have a Vigo smart cab and it was a shocker to find the rear bench has no belts. (Unfortunately I wasn't present for the purchase).

On 9/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, overherebc said:

Or maybe people should learn how to set the date and time on the dash-cam.

Just sayin'.

Mine reverts back to "epoch" or 1970-01-01 aka UNIX timestamp upon battery dying ???? Then next start before it accepts any recording commands it whines loudly for me to connect my phone to the device WIFI for date&time-synchronization x) Smartypants has connection to the internet 24/7 via data sim, but the developers didn't figure NTP (Network TIme Protocol) would be a smart inclusion on the firmware...

7 minutes ago, jabis said:

Mine reverts back to "epoch" or 1970-01-01 aka UNIX timestamp upon battery dying ???? Then next start before it accepts any recording commands it whines loudly for me to connect my phone to the device WIFI for date&time-synchronization x) Smartypants has connection to the internet 24/7 via data sim, but the developers didn't figure NTP (Network TIme Protocol) would be a smart inclusion on the firmware...

Mine records what it sees.

Archived