My recent TM30 experience at Jomtien Immigration

In August I went to immigration in Jomtien and renewed my visa for another year. I'm not at retirement age yet. I have opted for the 5 year Thailand Elite visa. This visa has turned out to very cost effecting imo and saved me a load of hassle. 

To renew the visa I had to do the TM30 for the first time. No issue. I've got a house in company name, no Thai master of the house, so I reported myself by myself and they seemed to be happy with just the blue house book. No chanoote or company papers asked for. Silly isn't it!

After that I went on 10 day break with my kid to an island. I was under the impression if you left the province when you came back you had to do another TM30. Being that the hotel I stayed at should of reported me at their local immigration while staying with them.

I went back to Jomtien on my return and they said I didn't have to do it again - it is only if I leave the country.

Am I getting preferential treatment because of the Thailand Elite visa? Have I got it wrong? Or do they pick and choose the rules.

Regards,

Hank.

I was told the very same thing at the tm30 desk and I think I told them I was on retirement extensions. So no I don't think you got elite treatment. I was told no fine for entering the system initially if you never have before. New one when reentering from outside Thailand. Not to do if returning from another province.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No I do not believe you are receiving any preferential treatment. Just a more flexible attitude that Jomtiem seems to have wrt TM30s.

Also glad to hear no hassle wrt having a house in company name, as I do. I am of retirement age and do have a retirement extension and wondered what might happen this year on renewal. Perhaps a first time TM30 for me too.

We are fortunate, as a friend in a rural North Thailand office was required to submit and copy the company documentation along with the extension application!

Edited by jacko45k

Jinthing - Cool. They need to get their ducks in a row don't they and make it clear to all - typical though for Thailand. I heard on Fabulous 103 FM the other day clear it was every time after leaving your province. 

I don't mind doing it when entering the country if those are the rules then so be it. It is not much of a hassle really. Every time you leave the province to return to your own house is ridiculous.

Jacko45k - I must have got away with it then it would be a pain to get the house docs from lawyer everytime. Proceed until apprehended comes to mind.

Regards,

Hank

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HenryC said:

Jinthing - Cool. They need to get their ducks in a row don't they and make it clear to all - typical though for Thailand. I heard on Fabulous 103 FM the other day clear it was every time after leaving your province. 

I don't mind doing it when entering the country if those are the rules then so be it. It is not much of a hassle really. Every time you leave the province to return to your own house is ridiculous.

Jacko45k - I must have got away with it then it would be a pain to get the house docs from lawyer everytime. Proceed until apprehended comes to mind.

Regards,

Hank

I wouldn't put any faith in anything from 103 fm, they often get it wrong. 

Amongst other misimformation they have said it was all embassies stopping income letters, insurance will be required for everyone and TM28 is an enforced requirement.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

But surely if you come back into Thailand via an airport from visiting another country, by completing the Arrival Card you don't need to file a TM30 because you have already declared your residing address on the Arrivals Card?

Confused.

Edited by BoonToong
makes more sense
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BoonToong said:

But surely if you come back into Thailand via an airport from visiting another country, by completing the Arrival Card you don't need to file a TM30 because you have already declared your residing address on the Arrivals Card?

Confused.

That is logical  BoonToong you think too much like farang, LOL. IMO's dont care they interpret the rules their way if they can see 1600 baht easily enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pib said:

It's OK to be confused.  Thai Immigration is confused also as the different immigration offices around the country have different interpretations/views of TM30 requirements.

Maybe we can make a TM 30 day like Xmas day, say April 1st?

i also opted for the Thai Elite for 5 years, we had a retirement visa but Immigration started to stuff around with my wife's visa which had been done correctly for the past 10 years so i told them to stuff it and i bought TE 5 years for her and once saw how effective it was and no need to deal with Immigration at least for another 5 years i also took TE. i know its not for everyone due to the cost but its takes a lot of headaches away dealing with these people. there are savings involved for various things let alone yearly visa fees and then having to employ our lawyers to submit at a substantial cost as it seems if some legal does it they dont hassle them unlike us chopping and changing documents required. now lets just hope they scrap the TM30 reporting as this seems absolutely ridiculous hopefully the European pressure put on the thais now and all the bad press about TM30 they will change mind and drop it... then please also make the 90 days reporting more user friendly and not having to use old computers with Internet Explorer to sign in i read they are supposingly putting out an app we can use on our mobiles to do this. please hurry up with it..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BoonToong said:

Confused.

You would think this is the case?  but it isn't at Jomtien they want you to come down and file another which is what I was told.

21 hours ago, HenryC said:

I was under the impression if you left the province when you came back you had to do another TM30.

I can only speak from my own experience and what others have posted here on TVF.

My immigration office confirmed that every time I go out of my province and stay for more than 24 hours, I (my wife), being my landlady has to submit a TM30 report. 

They told us to apply online for a password which she did and she got it a week alter with their assistance as the application is forwarded to them online as they have all of my records.

As we are heading overseas soon, we were also told when we return to our province, we must log in and report online, so for me, it's everytime I out out of my province, regardless if its domestic or international, the TM6 has nothing to do with the TM30, with the TM6 recently reported to be scrapped if you can believe anything you hear from these guys.

On the final stretch, I have heard that other officers are relaxed about the TM30, e.g. no need for domestic, but then again I have also read that, and someone coming back from the same office saying the opposite, so if they tell you no need, request it in writing for safe keeping because if things change, you will be the one paying the fine.

I have the extension based on being married to a Thai, and I think it makes no difference to the type of extension/visa you have.

Hope you get some kind of clarification from your immigration office real soon now.

Just a question. In every thread on TV where people are sharing their experiences about filing a TM30, don't most of them mean a TM28? I assume they're not all landlords?

I admit to being confused still. I have a house/blue book (so am non-Thai property owner) and when I went to Immigration they didn't manage to clarify for me. 

Edited by Speedhump
Addition.

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

i also opted for the Thai Elite for 5 years, we had a retirement visa but Immigration started to stuff around with my wife's visa which had been done correctly for the past 10 years so i told them to stuff it and i bought TE 5 years for her and once saw how effective it was and no need to deal with Immigration at least for another 5 years i also took TE. i know its not for everyone due to the cost but its takes a lot of headaches away dealing with these people. there are savings involved for various things let alone yearly visa fees and then having to employ our lawyers to submit at a substantial cost as it seems if some legal does it they dont hassle them unlike us chopping and changing documents required. now lets just hope they scrap the TM30 reporting as this seems absolutely ridiculous hopefully the European pressure put on the thais now and all the bad press about TM30 they will change mind and drop it... then please also make the 90 days reporting more user friendly and not having to use old computers with Internet Explorer to sign in i read they are supposingly putting out an app we can use on our mobiles to do this. please hurry up with it..

I am totally with you brother. No regrets on TL - money well spent. Some people scoff when I tell them. "What, 500k!!" But that's 100k a year. How much would a person of my age be spending on visa trips to Loas/Cambodia etc ramming up <deleted> in your passport? Together with the value you put on your time and effort psssing about. I also think it DOES give some preferential treatment because straight off the bat they know you're not some joker, you're playing by the rules (good guys in). They love it. It's a one off for me to get me to 50 but I have no regrets.

Plus you have the added benefit of straight through the priority lane at BKK every time, picked up by very delightful young ladies on your return and electric car to immigration business class counter - bosh.

Oh and 24 limo taxi's to and from BKK, if it's to Pattaya it's 1900B for a limo.

41 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can only speak from my own experience and what others have posted here on TVF.

My immigration office confirmed that every time I go out of my province and stay for more than 24 hours, I (my wife), being my landlady has to submit a TM30 report. 

They told us to apply online for a password which she did and she got it a week alter with their assistance as the application is forwarded to them online as they have all of my records.

As we are heading overseas soon, we were also told when we return to our province, we must log in and report online, so for me, it's everytime I out out of my province, regardless if its domestic or international, the TM6 has nothing to do with the TM30, with the TM6 recently reported to be scrapped if you can believe anything you hear from these guys.

On the final stretch, I have heard that other officers are relaxed about the TM30, e.g. no need for domestic, but then again I have also read that, and someone coming back from the same office saying the opposite, so if they tell you no need, request it in writing for safe keeping because if things change, you will be the one paying the fine.

I have the extension based on being married to a Thai, and I think it makes no difference to the type of extension/visa you have.

Hope you get some kind of clarification from your immigration office real soon now.

Yeah it wasn't just Fab 103 FM I heard this about every time you leave the province business. Amazing Thailand - rules seem to be 'up to them.'

I think the pressure is mounting - we'll see where this goes I guess. Thanks for your input.

Regards,

hank

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Just a question. In every thread on TV where people are sharing their experiences about filing a TM30, don't most of them mean a TM28? I assume they're not all landlords?

I admit to being confused still. I have a house/blue book (so am non-Thai property owner) and when I went to Immigration they didn't manage to clarify for me. 

Yip. I'm in the same position - very clearly they said it was a TM30

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussieinphuket said:

There is only one good thing about Phuket Immigration and thats the drive through window. If you think a 90 day report needs to get easier than that you must be used to having grapes hand fed. The I/O they stuff in that box will even hand update your address notification with no accompanying paperwork, or she did for me twice at least. If the whole Phuket office ran as efficiently as the drive up window I might not have moved out of that hell hole.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

You would think this is the case?  but it isn't at Jomtien they want you to come down and file another which is what I was told.

When it comes to the TM.30, each Immigration Office seems to have their own requirements - so what one person experiences or is told by one Immigration Office may not apply at another.  In the case of Pattaya (Jomtien), when the TM.30 enforcement first started, they insisted on it being whether your travel was within or without Thailand.

Evidently, the workload became too much (from reports back then, Jomtien Immigration Office Desk 10 (TM.30 reporting desk) was inundated and often had long waits for people to file.  So, Jomtien Immigration decided that if you traveled inside or outside of Thailand, no report was required if you returned to the same address (or at least this was the case for those on retirement extensions).  This was the case for quite some time, BUT

Within the last 3 weeks, Jomtien is now enforcing the requirement, but only if you travel outside of Thailand - no report necessary if travel is not outside the country.  Also, they were telling folks they had 3 days to make the report instead of the 24 hours as required by Immigration law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThaiWai said:

There is only one good thing about Phuket Immigration and thats the drive through window. If you think a 90 day report needs to get easier than that you must be used to having grapes hand fed. The I/O they stuff in that box will even hand update your address notification with no accompanying paperwork, or she did for me twice at least. If the whole Phuket office ran as efficiently as the drive up window I might not have moved out of that hell hole.

Sweet. Well Jomtien hasn't aspired to those heights just yet. But 90 days reporting there has only ever taken me literally minutes. Only once I had to wait 5 as I think the guy on the desk had gone for a number 2. lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HenryC said:

Yip. I'm in the same position - very clearly they said it was a TM30

This might clear it up for you, from what I have read, if you are the owner of the property, it's the TM30, if you are not the owner of the property, it's the TM28, on top of that, the owner of the property, i.e. the landlord has to file the TM30.

Wasn't it confucius that once said, it doesn't take much to confuse us ?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#zDQ6KhqhX5mx7XXC.97

22 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I learned something today, after going to the immigration office last month with my Thai wife who is also clearly my (landlady) to do the TM30 reporting, which we did, no mention of me having to lodge a TM28, they must do it on the spot without me having to do anything, the question I now have is, what happens now that she is registered online and she completes a TM30, what then happens to me with regard to having to lodge the TM28 as the IO didn't say a word about the TM28....lol, so confused ????

https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#zDQ6KhqhX5mx7XXC.97

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This might clear it up for you, from what I have read, if you are the owner of the property, it's the TM30, if you are not the owner of the property, it's the TM28, on top of that, the owner of the property, i.e. the landlord has to file the TM30.

Wasn't it confucius that once said, it doesn't take much to confuse us ?

I'm the owner of the property like I said ridiculous to report yourself by yourself. You write your name twice basically. I don't have a wife and never heard of a TM28 sorry can't help you there.

regards,

Hank

Edited by HenryC
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

TM28 is not enforced anywhere in Thailand so people are talking about TM30.

7 minutes ago, HenryC said:

I'm the owner of the property like I said ridiculous to report yourself by yourself. You write your name twice basically. I don't have a wife and never heard of a TM28 sorry can't help you there.

regards,

Hank

You must be having one of those moments......did you forget where you are.....Thailand, everything same, same, my pen rye ???????? 

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

TM28 is not currently enforced anywhere in Thailand.

Hence the reason my immigration office didn't ask me to submit one when my wife did the TM30.

Thanks for clearing that up, suffice to say, would I be correct to say that if they did enforce it, then I would have to submit the TM28 when my wife does her TM30 ?

I keep using the term Landlord/Landlady as I had a background in property for 25 years, a little hard to shake off and get used to their terminologies.