My recent TM30 experience at Jomtien Immigration

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hence the reason my immigration office didn't ask me to submit one when my wife did the TM30.

Thanks for clearing that up, suffice to say, would I be correct to say that if they did enforce it, then I would have to submit the TM28 when my wife does her TM30 ?

I keep using the term Landlord/Landlady as I had a background in property for 25 years, a little hard to shake off and get used to their terminologies.  

If they did start enforcing TM28 it would be an absolute nightmare. I just wish people would stop even mentioning it as it really does just confuse everything.

I started a thread to try and get people to undertand and stop people discussing it.

The main thing with the landlord term is people keep defaulting back to its the landlords problem when its not, it basically anyone who occupies a property.

To add to the confusion (of this whole mess) I was told by my visa assistant that I only have to lodge if I change address or travel within country.  I was told that if I travel outside the country I dont have to complete it as I return to the same address.  I would have thought this made more sense if the purpose is to track our movements within country.  Seems a typical level of confusion and miscommunication!

28 minutes ago, newnative said:

I traveled to China in December and Europe in May and didn't fill out a TM30 after either trip.  No problems at Jomtien Immigration when I did my annual extension in June and 90 day reports. 

Jomtien Immigration changed their  policy within the last 3 weeks - so when you were there in June, they were not requiring a TM.30 if you returned to your previously reported address.  It is my understanding this came about because Bangkok HQ told them to start enforcing it for those that travel outside of Thailand.

26 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

To add to the confusion (of this whole mess) I was told by my visa assistant that I only have to lodge if I change address or travel within country.  I was told that if I travel outside the country I dont have to complete it as I return to the same address.  I would have thought this made more sense if the purpose is to track our movements within country.  Seems a typical level of confusion and miscommunication!

Jimbo I think you need a new visa agent. Best to check yourself at immigration. Seems they are rapidly changing the rules and many have had different experiences depending on which office they go to. 

regards

Hank

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The main thing with the landlord term is people keep defaulting back to its the landlords problem when its not, it basically anyone who occupies a property.

Now this can be confusing, e.g. I occupy a property with my wife, so in part, I occupy it, as she does, she owns the place as farangs cannot own land in Thailand, so where does that put me, e.g. is it my responsibility to report to immigration when I return from a domestic or international absence from where I normally reside or my wife's responsibility, or is it both of our responsibilities to do a TM30, i.e. one for me and one for her ?

Do you see the confusion in your reply ?

Just needing to clarify this, the TM28 is out the window, got it, thanks ????

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Now this can be confusing, e.g. I occupy a property with my wife, so in part, I occupy it, as she does, she owns the place as farangs cannot own land in Thailand, so where does that put me, e.g. is it my responsibility to report to immigration when I return from a domestic or international absence from where I normally reside or my wife's responsibility, or is it both of our responsibilities to do a TM30, i.e. one for me and one for her ?

Do you see the confusion in your reply ?

Just needing to clarify this, the TM28 is out the window, got it, thanks ????

I'm no expert but I would say it is your wife's responsibility being owner and housemaster in the Blue book.

Farang might not be able to own land outright but they can 'own' a Thai Company (or at least own 49% of shares, be the Director with all the voting rights). So in my case, I have no Thai involved?

And before some start saying Blah oh that's not legal etc - It's immigration, not the fraud squad. They aren't about to shut down foreigners owning property via Thai Companies even tho every couple of years it is mentioned.

Regards,

hank

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:18 AM, Jingthing said:

I was told the very same thing at the tm30 desk and I think I told them I was on retirement extensions. So no I don't think you got elite treatment. I was told no fine for entering the system initially if you never have before. New one when reentering from outside Thailand. Not to do if returning from another province.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The not necessary TM30 report at Jomtien Immigration when coming back from another province (to the last reported address) has been like this for a quite long time. They are pragmatic about it and they don't need or want the time consuming paperwork. What is new,though,when coming back from abroad the TM30 has to be submitted within 3 days,not 24 hours. 

Edited by Max69xl

I also have the 5 year Elite visa and was told the first time I reported that there was no need. I leave the country and return 8 times per year and have never once done TM30.

Maybe I'm in for a shock when I eventually do my first but I'll deal with that then.

14 minutes ago, dode57k said:

I also have the 5 year Elite visa and was told the first time I reported that there was no need. I leave the country and return 8 times per year and have never once done TM30.

Maybe I'm in for a shock when I eventually do my first but I'll deal with that then.

Probably the worse thing that will happen is being required to file one report. They won't care about the 8 times. Also a good chance nothing will happen. You will get different stories from different desks on different days and even on the same day. That's one reason why this is so confusing and indeed infuriating. People that want to follow the rules yet the actual rules are NEVER clear. It's truly nuts. There is a good case for doing what you're doing -- don't bother and see what happens. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HenryC said:

Jimbo I think you need a new visa agent. Best to check yourself at immigration. Seems they are rapidly changing the rules and many have had different experiences depending on which office they go to. 

regards

Hank

I hear you - its all clear as mud with immigration as usual.  Up for visa renewal in about 3 weeks so might as well do it all then and pay the piper. Hopefully no dramas - at least the lines are shorter this year with all the foreigners leaving.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I traveled to China in December and Europe in May and didn't fill out a TM30 after either trip.  No problems at Jomtien Immigration when I did my annual extension in June and 90 day reports. 

Same experience coming back into Chiang Mai in April for second year on O-A, to the same address. After 90 days; report online....not asked to go to the office. Obviously the TM 6 input at the airport was sufficient for the system to recognize me for the 90 day.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I hear you - its all clear as mud with immigration as usual.  Up for visa renewal in about 3 weeks so might as well do it all then and pay the piper. Hopefully no dramas - at least the lines are shorter this year with all the foreigners leaving.

There has never been any lines to talk about at Jomtien Immigration in late September,and after lunch even less visitors. 

• Like 1

My recent visit to Jomtien to TM30 report: bottom line - not needed for in-Thailand travel.

1. Presented my completed form and papers to the IO (after a 20 min wait) telling her that last night I'd come back from Bangkok after two nights there, had tried to report online but wasn't sure it went through. (It hadn't.)

2. IO says: you can't report online, it's only for hotels and businesses. I said I registered as possessor. Silence ... she changed tack:

3. IO says: you can't report, you don't have a lease. I said I just pay money each month, I am already registeted online. Silence ... she changed tack:

4. IO says: you don't have to report for travel inside Thailand. I said I told my old Thai landlady I would do it to save her the trouble - she got fined last time. Silence ... she changed tack:

5. IO says: well if the Thai person wants it ... She then entered something on her computer entering my app password and TM6 number.

Overall, a strange experience, but I left it at that, although I was minded to press her to stamp and give me the bottom slip of the TM30 form - to show that I had complied with the law, notwithstanding her view that the law was not (presently) being enforced (by her).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, law ling said:

My recent visit to Jomtien to TM30 report: bottom line - not needed for in-Thailand travel.

1. Presented my completed form and papers to the IO (after a 20 min wait) telling her that last night I'd come back from Bangkok after two nights there, had tried to report online but wasn't sure it went through. (It hadn't.)

2. IO says: you can't report online, it's only for hotels and businesses. I said I registered as possessor. Silence ... she changed tack:

3. IO says: you can't report, you don't have a lease. I said I just pay money each month, I am already registeted online. Silence ... she changed tack:

4. IO says: you don't have to report for travel inside Thailand. I said I told my old Thai landlady I would do it to save her the trouble - she got fined last time. Silence ... she changed tack:

5. IO says: well if the Thai person wants it ... She then entered something on her computer entering my app password and TM6 number.

Overall, a strange experience, but I left it at that, although I was minded to press her to stamp and give me the bottom slip of the TM30 form - to show that I had complied with the law, notwithstanding her view that the law was not (presently) being enforced (by her).

I am quite sure that the Department of Immigration never tells every local office everything they need to know, especially the ladies at desk 10. In the old online system it was designed for hotels and guesthouses, so I can in a way understand the confusion. 

15 minutes ago, law ling said:

Wow. What a mess!

19 minutes ago, law ling said:

I self reported the TM30 in March last year at Jomtien Immigration as the possessor. I had the copies I needed incl. my new rental contract. The woman behind the desk looked at the moving in date, and said: Now 3 days late!

I said,no I'm not late. That is the date when I moved in,but I just picked up the contract from the property agent. 

She said: Are you sure? 

Yes, I'm sure.

I had a real hard time keeping my face straight. She looked at me again and then punched in something in the computer, filled in the Receipt of Notification and gave it to me. She looked a bit disappointed,I guess they needed some money. ????

Same just happened to me. Went to Chaing Khan immigration to submit my finally paperwork for a one year retirement visa. The reporting officer asked where we stayed  (Udon Thani and Khon Kaen) and none of the 3 hotels had reported us. He did the reporting since we were there but said it wasn’t required to report to immigration if I left the province, only if I left Thailand and returned to Loei province. I got my one year retirement visa and a multiple entry permit and checked again with the immigration officers inside. 3 month reporting and reporting if I’ve left the country and returned to Loei. Pretty  interesting that all 3 hotels asked for a copy of my passport and didn’t report me. 

@ Onari and others:  People need to stop alleging that Thai Immigration enforces these regulations in order to fine expats to get money for themselves. 

If you get a receipt, I guarantee you that those funds do not go to the local Immo officer or Immo office. 

Those funds will go to the Ministry of Interior.  And they are auditable.

If you have ever been audited by a Thai  government auditor, well, they are strict as He11.

The only time that Immo pockets the fines is when you pay and do not get  a receipt or pay an agent more than the extension renewal fee.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Onrai said:

Same just happened to me. Went to Chaing Khan immigration to submit my finally paperwork for a one year retirement visa. The reporting officer asked where we stayed  (Udon Thani and Khon Kaen) and none of the 3 hotels had reported us. He did the reporting since we were there but said it wasn’t required to report to immigration if I left the province, only if I left Thailand and returned to Loei province. I got my one year retirement visa and a multiple entry permit and checked again with the immigration officers inside. 3 month reporting and reporting if I’ve left the country and returned to Loei. Pretty  interesting that all 3 hotels asked for a copy of my passport and didn’t report me. 

That is strange. When I stay somewhere and they normally never report anyone,they never ask for my passport. Maybe they took copies of your passport as a security measure if immigration by any chance would show up. 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

TM28 is not currently enforced anywhere in Thailand. Not sure why people even mention it as it just confuses the issue. Even Phuket does not enforce TM28, the article you quote is an explanation of a law they dont enforce.

Forget the word landlord, none of the legislation, form, online system etc uses that word.

Its the owner, housemaster or possessor of a property does TM30s.

Most expats occupying a property will be at least one (or more) of the above. 

As one of the above, you do a TM30 as the owner (landlord would be a subset of this category), the housemaster (broadly defined in the legislation as anyone who possesses a property) or the possessor (anyone not covered by the previous 2 categories).

Thank you. Excellent explanation. Which lets me understand all the categories of farang they have decided to exempt, basically mostly people who do not live in Thailand. Anyway, definitely not retirees. ????

9 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Thank you. Excellent explanation. Which lets me understand all the categories of farang they have decided to exempt, basically mostly people who do not live in Thailand. Anyway, definitely not retirees. ????

Yes, the reason for the TM30 online or at the local immigration office is not chasing tourists. They don't live in Thailand. They are supposed to get reported anyway. 

9 hours ago, soisanuk said:

When it comes to the TM.30, each Immigration Office seems to have their own requirements - so what one person experiences or is told by one Immigration Office may not apply at another.  In the case of Pattaya (Jomtien), when the TM.30 enforcement first started, they insisted on it being whether your travel was within or without Thailand.

Evidently, the workload became too much (from reports back then, Jomtien Immigration Office Desk 10 (TM.30 reporting desk) was inundated and often had long waits for people to file.  So, Jomtien Immigration decided that if you traveled inside or outside of Thailand, no report was required if you returned to the same address (or at least this was the case for those on retirement extensions).  This was the case for quite some time, BUT

Within the last 3 weeks, Jomtien is now enforcing the requirement, but only if you travel outside of Thailand - no report necessary if travel is not outside the country.  Also, they were telling folks they had 3 days to make the report instead of the 24 hours as required by Immigration law.

I agree, been saying it for a long long time just like the rest of you.  Call it the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, the light is on but no one is home?

Today with the technology one would think the head guy Big Orh whatever he likes to call himself would set up a video conference with all the Immigration head of each City and go over the requirements so that everyone is on the same page. In my opinion the way this country is setup is no different than a country like in the Middle East, they stand together for a big photo op but outside of Bangkok the leadership has no power over any province or any other Immigration they basically do as they please just like the Police. Police on Soi 9 has no power over the police on the Darkside like Nongprue.

Six month ago the head man from Jomtien did an interview I believe was on Pattaya People T.V.?  he noted in regards to the TM30 particularly with retirement extension applicants his position was " the only time they had to do a TM-30 was when they moved meaning if you left overseas and return a TM30 wasn't needed only if you move to an new address main reason was the 90 report. This to me made a lot of sense but thereafter do to petitions and continues discussion it open a can of worms causing even more confusion to the point they now just throw out a large net to make everyone fill one out over and over again just like the discussions?

25 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I agree, been saying it for a long long time just like the rest of you.  Call it the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, the light is on but no one is home?

Today with the technology one would think the head guy Big Orh whatever he likes to call himself would set up a video conference with all the Immigration head of each City and go over the requirements so that everyone is on the same page. In my opinion the way this country is setup is no different than a country like in the Middle East, they stand together for a big photo op but outside of Bangkok the leadership has no power over any province or any other Immigration they basically do as they please just like the Police. Police on Soi 9 has no power over the police on the Darkside like Nongprue.

Six month ago the head man from Jomtien did an interview I believe was on Pattaya People T.V.?  he noted in regards to the TM30 particularly with retirement extension applicants his position was " the only time they had to do a TM-30 was when they moved meaning if you left overseas and return a TM30 wasn't needed only if you move to an new address main reason was the 90 report. This to me made a lot of sense but thereafter do to petitions and continues discussion it open a can of worms causing even more confusion to the point they now just throw out a large net to make everyone fill one out over and over again just like the discussions?

I think offices like Jomtien Immigration actually understands the TM30 mess. Many other provinces could maybe do the same. Jomtien Immigration has a lot of expats but it works. They keep coming back to the last reported address, so why make it more complicated?

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I learned something today, after going to the immigration office last month with my Thai wife who is also clearly my (landlady) to do the TM30 reporting, which we did, no mention of me having to lodge a TM28, they must do it on the spot without me having to do anything, the question I now have is, what happens now that she is registered online and she completes a TM30, what then happens to me with regard to having to lodge the TM28 as the IO didn't say a word about the TM28....lol, so confused ????

https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#zDQ6KhqhX5mx7XXC.97

Several others here have said that the TM28 is never enforced anywhere at any time. Crazy place. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Several others here have said that the TM28 is never enforced anywhere at any time. Crazy place. 

Yeh, I am just going to leave it as it is, i.e. wife will go online and report me when we come back to our province, and when I do my next annual extension end January when my 90 days is also due, will run it by the IO's and if they say TM28 which I doubt, I will give them the bird ???? but I don't think I will need the TM28 as others have also said, it's all been about the TM30

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yeh, I am just going to leave it as it is, i.e. wife will go online and report me when we come back to our province, and when I do my next annual extension end January when my 90 days is also due, will run it by the IO's and if they say TM28 which I doubt, I will give them the bird ???? but I don't think I will need the TM28 as others have also said, it's all been about the TM30

You don't have to think about the TM28 at Jomtien Immigration. If you have done the TM30 report and have the receipt stapled inside your passport,then everything is ok. Take a copy of the receipt together with the rest of the required documents when you apply for the extension.

You don't have to think about the TM28 at Jomtien Immigration. If you have done the TM30 report and have the receipt stapled inside your passport,then everything is ok. Take a copy of the receipt together with the rest of the required documents when you apply for the extension.

I'm not fully convinced that Jomtien is actually requiring any evidence of TM30 reporting for retirement extensions. Why? Because there have been wildly contradictory recent reports about that. Perhaps that is due to random good or bad luck or perhaps it's about whether you own a condo or not. Yes I was told at the retirement desk not to even bother entering the tm30 system.  Not sure what or who to believe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not fully convinced that Jomtien is actually requiring any evidence of TM30 reporting for retirement extensions. Why? Because there have been wildly contradictory recent reports about that. Perhaps that is due to random good or bad luck or perhaps it's about whether you own a condo or not. Yes I was told at the retirement desk not to even bother entering the tm30 system.  Not sure what or who to believe.

I have a hard time believing that someone behind desk 8 should have told you that,because it contradicts what the IO in charge of desk 8 said on radio earlier this year.