My recent TM30 experience at Jomtien Immigration

I have a hard time believing that someone behind desk 8 should have told you that,because it contradicts what the IO in charge of desk 8 said on radio earlier this year. 

Yeah I'm lying. 

Earlier this year may as well be last century.

Enforcement policies and advice at offices is very fluid.

Even at different desks on the same day.

It's truly crazy making!

Next ...

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/20/2019 at 9:16 AM, stewartthailand said:

My experience: I was told at Jomtien that as I am on retirement extensions and resident at the same address for a number of years I do not need to do the TM 30 report. I leave the country at least every two months.

Maybe time to reconfirm before my next extension April 2020.

I am also on retirement extensions visa and resident at the same address in "my" company house for a number of years. I leave Thailand every year during summertime and always return Sept. In 2017 this new rule with the TM30 was enforced the first time at Immigration Pattaya. I got known 8 weeks after entering Th. and at Immigration I was blamed to live in Thailand, but not knowing the law! I was punished to pay I think 1900 THB. In 2018 the very next day after entering TH. I went to Immigration at Friday, arround 11 am. The whole first floor was empty, except 2 Immigration officers. I ask to make the 24hrs residence report. They were smiling (Oh, this stupid farang), had a short look in my passport and told me, if I did not changed my residence, I do not need to make the TM30 reporting! This year I arrived on We 18.Sept.2019. 2 days later, on Friday evening I learned from friends: New rule, have to do TM30 again! I worry now going there on monday. They will blame me for not doing korrect the second time! Big, big crime!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I know this isn't intentional of immigration to drive expats insane with these constant TM30 inconsistencies but if it was intentional, it would be BRILLIANT.

The Department of Immigration ordered every local immigration office to start enforcing the TM30 reporting. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The Department of Immigration ordered every local immigration office to start enforcing the TM30 reporting. 

You missed my point entirely. 

Talking about the real world here that expats actually have to navigate in.

Inconsistences in actual enforcement details (and advice) from office to office and also bizarrely mixed messages at the same offices that can change from minute to minute, day to day, month to month. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You missed my point entirely. 

Talking about the real world here that expats actually have to navigate in.

Inconsistences in actual enforcement details (and advice) from office to office and also bizarrely mixed messages at the same offices that can change from minute to minute, day to day, month to month. 

Jomtien Immigrations rules hasn't changed since 2017 when they were ordered to enforce the TM30 reporting and I don't care about other offices. I live in Jomtien full time. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Jomtien Immigrations rules hasn't changed since 2017 when they were ordered to enforce the TM30 reporting and I don't care about other offices. I live in Jomtien full time. 

Not change since 2017 ??

Your message here is in contradiction with your previous ones...

or do you mean that Jomtien still today doesn't ask TM30 to all retirees ?

For sure I never had to do a TM.30 and depends on Jomtien for 10+ years.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

TM28 is not enforced anywhere in Thailand so people are talking about TM30.

The TM28 is a change of address form. When I move to a new address I fill one out and it remains stapled to my passport. I have never filled out a TM30 and I have never been asked for one (in 14 years). My landlords may or may not have submitted one in the past - don't know, don't care. I'm not going to stress out about it until I'm told it's needed, and that means when I've been told, not when someone else says they've been told. There's enough to do without pre-empting extra tasks that may or may not be necessary. You'll get dizzy listening to all the different stories on here about TM30.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

The TM28 is a change of address form. When I move to a new address I fill one out and it remains stapled to my passport. I have never filled out a TM30 and I have never been asked for one (in 14 years). My landlords may or may not have submitted one in the past - don't know, don't care. I'm not going to stress out about it until I'm told it's needed, and that means when I've been told, not when someone else says they've been told. There's enough to do without pre-empting extra tasks that may or may not be necessary. You'll get dizzy listening to all the different stories on here about TM30.

The TM28 has two purposes per its title.

image.png.c57e717e2aa3d587adc8406d1017dfcd.png 

Edited by Pib

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

The TM28 has two purposes per its title.

image.png.c57e717e2aa3d587adc8406d1017dfcd.png 

I last did mine in 2017 before all this reporting nonsense began. I think they're changed the title to include the 2nd purpose. Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I last did mine in 2017 before all this reporting nonsense began. I think they're changed the title to include the 2nd purpose.

No changes to the form has been done to it for many years,

It is just that 2nd line has never been enforced since it would be almost be impossible to do.

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not change since 2017 ??

Your message here is in contradiction with your previous ones...

or do you mean that Jomtien still today doesn't ask TM30 to all retirees ?

For sure I never had to do a TM.30 and depends on Jomtien for 10+ years.

My posts about the TM30 are exactly the same. You have to read better. The only "official" changes since 2017 about the TM30 report at Jomtien Immigration is to report when coming back from abroad(now within 3 days),not when coming back from another province.

I am staying in Jomtien since years,and I know the official rules and regulations. Your experiences are totally irrelevant as I am talking about the information from an IO in charge of desk 8 + the female IO in charge of desk 10. If you know how to use internet you can also read PCEC's newsletter. They report 2-3 times a month about changes at Jomtien Immigration. 

6 hours ago, tropo said:

"My landlords may or may not have submitted one in the past - don't know, don't care."

If you were reported earlier and maybe stays at the same address,you will be in the database, so what are you complaining about? There's "official" info about Jomtien Immigrations rules for the TM30 report,and that's the important thing. However,how they enforce it is another matter. 

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I last did mine in 2017 before all this reporting nonsense began. I think they're changed the title to include the 2nd purpose. Thanks for the heads up!

No change.  I used the form around 8 years ago to update my address....exact same form with same title for two purposes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"My landlords may or may not have submitted one in the past - don't know, don't care."

If you were reported earlier and maybe stays at the same address,you will be in the database, so what are you complaining about? There's "official" info about Jomtien Immigrations rules for the TM30 report,and that's the important thing. However,how they enforce it is another matter. 

What was it that you thought I was complaining about?

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

YES

No,your wrong. Jomtien Immigration hasn't done any major changes since late 2017 when every immigration office were ordered to enforce the TM30 reporting. Since then they officially require a TM30 to be submitted when coming back from abroad, but not when coming back from another province. About a week ago they changed the timeframe from within 24 hours to 3 days when coming back from abroad. Thats in our favour, so I don't understand what you and other whiners are complaining about. Jomtien Immigration shows more leniency than most offices in Thailand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

No,your wrong. Jomtien Immigration hasn't done any major changes since late 2017 //. Since then they officially require a TM30 to be submitted when coming back from abroad, //

You continue to post that again and again despite that being false...  ????

How would you explain that many retirees never had to made a TM.30 (even when getting their yearly extension in 2017, 2018, 2019) even when doing at least 1 trip abroad every year?  (ps: I am one of them)

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

No,your wrong. Jomtien Immigration hasn't done any major changes since late 2017 when every immigration office were ordered to enforce the TM30 reporting. Since then they officially require a TM30 to be submitted when coming back from abroad, but not when coming back from another province. About a week ago they changed the timeframe from within 24 hours to 3 days when coming back from abroad. Thats in our favour, so I don't understand what you and other whiners are complaining about. Jomtien Immigration shows more leniency than most offices in Thailand. 

No, I am not wrong and I never wrote that you have to run and do a TM30. My answer was based on that they pick and choose as they please from office to office and IO to IO as well as it has nothing to do with Elite Visa. Something you had understood if you took the time to let what you read sink in before you post. So, I don´t understand why you have to call me a whiner when you do not know what it is you reply to. Silly!

Edited by Matzzon

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

From mid to end of 2017, Jomtien Immigration was enforcing the TM.30 filing within 24 hours if you traveled outside of Thailand per the Pattaya City Expat Club (PCEC) Thai Immigration Updates based on reports they received at that time.  In early 2018, the updates noted many inconsistent reports, some required to report within 24 hours regardless whereas others were being told it was not required if the travel was for a short period of time (with the time frames being inconsistent and apparently depending on the Immigration Officer the person reporting talked to at that time).  In April 2018, the PCEC updates noted a change and that reports received in March and April were consistent in reporting that Jomtien Immigration was not requiring retirees (source of their reports, so not known if it also applied to other long stay extensions) to file a TM.30 no matter how long outside of Thailand, so long as they were returning the their previously reported address.  This remained consistent until about 3 weeks ago when the PCEC updates noted that Jomtien Immigration was now enforcing the filing of the TM.30, but allowing up to 3 days to file it instead of within 24 hours of return. Desk 10 handles the TM.30 reporting.

As to checking if a TM.30 has been filed when applying for Immigration Services at Jomtien, it appears that it is not consistently checked for retirement extensions (Desk ???? and not at all when doing 90 day reports. However, if getting a 30 day extension by those entering on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, it is usually checked.  Obtaining a residence certificate apparently is similar to getting a retirement extension, maybe checked and maybe not.  

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just got back to Thailand yesterday.  This morning at Jomtein was told with retirement extension and coming back to the same address, i do not have to re file TM30 after a trip anywhere, within Thailand or overseas.

The two ladies at the front desk were annoyed with me after I told them "some farangs on internet said I have to".

I went to the man at another desk and got the same answer.

May be I'll file online....

Edited by Thailand J

On 9/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, Pib said:

It's OK to be confused.  Thai Immigration is confused also as the different immigration offices around the country have different interpretations/views of TM30 requirements.

I made inquiry at Koh Samui immigration, said that i would be elsewhere in Thailand for 1 to 2 months, what was i to do regarding TM30 ?   I  was told "nothing"  just report when i get back.  And my landlady told me that she only has to report if i leave the country and return.   Is there some confusion here ?

Edited by Huckenfell

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

I have just got back to Thailand yesterday.  This morning at Jomtein was told with retirement extension and coming back to the same address, i do not have to re file TM30 after a trip anywhere, within Thailand or overseas.

The two ladies at the front desk were annoyed with me after I told them "some farangs on internet said I have to".

Was this information from Desk 10 (room to your left when you enter the building)? 

It is not uncommon to get different and sometimes incorrect information from Immigration Officers or the trainee help at the info desk if they are not the ones that process the information.  Back in 2017 when Jomtien Immigration first started enforcing the TM.30 rule, it was not uncommon for the two ladies that worked Desk 10 to give conflicting information.  But, as mentioned, since March 2018 until about 3 weeks ago it was you don't have to report unless returning to a different address - BUT, with all the "flack" (news articles in local and foreign press), it is possible that Immigration HQ has backed off the strict enforcement and Jomtien has gone back to their previous requirement - report only if you don't return to your previously reported address.

So, let's see if there are more reports on a consistent basis that that they are enforcing or not enforcing it.

Edited by soisanuk

1 hour ago, soisanuk said:

Was this information from Desk 10 (room to your left when you enter the building)? 

no, it was at the front desk where I asked for a queue  number to file TM30. I didn't believe the two ladies but was confirmed by the man , the one who looks like wearing make up , who has been there for years so I left.

Anyway, I have already filed it online . I got my user ID and password immediately. Printed a screen shot to keep in my passport...one less thing on my mind.

Annotation 2019-09-23 150304.jpg

5 hours ago, soisanuk said:

From mid to end of 2017, Jomtien Immigration was enforcing the TM.30 filing within 24 hours if you traveled outside of Thailand per the Pattaya City Expat Club (PCEC) Thai Immigration Updates based on reports they received at that time.  In early 2018, the updates noted many inconsistent reports, some required to report within 24 hours regardless whereas others were being told it was not required if the travel was for a short period of time (with the time frames being inconsistent and apparently depending on the Immigration Officer the person reporting talked to at that time).  In April 2018, the PCEC updates noted a change and that reports received in March and April were consistent in reporting that Jomtien Immigration was not requiring retirees (source of their reports, so not known if it also applied to other long stay extensions) to file a TM.30 no matter how long outside of Thailand, so long as they were returning the their previously reported address.  This remained consistent until about 3 weeks ago when the PCEC updates noted that Jomtien Immigration was now enforcing the filing of the TM.30, but allowing up to 3 days to file it instead of within 24 hours of return. Desk 10 handles the TM.30 reporting.

As to checking if a TM.30 has been filed when applying for Immigration Services at Jomtien, it appears that it is not consistently checked for retirement extensions (Desk ???? and not at all when doing 90 day reports. However, if getting a 30 day extension by those entering on Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, it is usually checked.  Obtaining a residence certificate apparently is similar to getting a retirement extension, maybe checked and maybe not.  

I think if asking for a TM30 when applying for the Certificate of Residence, I wouldn't be surprised. The reason for the certificate is to prove where you're staying officially. The "inconsistencies" at Jomtien Immigration depends on who you ask,and that's the problem. The info PCEC sometimes get comes from reports from people visiting the office, and they ask anyone, sometimes the girl behind the front desk or the IO behind the front desk. Next person asks one of the woman at desk 10. I have never heard the female IO in charge at desk 10 change the requirements or the IO who went on radio earlier this year. The change from 24 hours reporting to 3 days when coming back from abroad is very recent and not in my eyes an inconsistency, it's a positive change that makes it easier for us. When complaining about Jomtien Immigration,then people don't have a clue about other offices like for example CW in BKK. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thailand J said:

You seem determined to do it despite being told otherwise. I can appreciate not believing the 2 young ladies on the desk at the entrance, they have wrong footed me before. I have never ever done a TM30 for myself in Jomtien, In fact your post was pleasing for me.