20 injured in Bangkok-Pattaya motorway pile-up 

webfact

20 injured in Bangkok-Pattaya motorway pile-up 

By The Nation

ptt.jpg

Picture: Poh Teck Tung Foundation volunteer

A six-wheel truck hit the rear of a passenger van parked in the left lane of the outbound Bangkok-Pattaya motorway, causing it to hit another van stopped in front in a pileup that injured 20 people early Thursday, police said.

Highway police said the accident happened at 2.30 am on the bridge over the railway at the kilometre marker No 18+900 of the motorway in Thap Yao sub-district in Bangkok’s Lad Krabang district.

Police said 20 people were injured and rushed to Chularat 8 Hospital, Sirindhorn Hospital and Lat Krabang Hospital.

Passengers and drivers told police that a tyre had burst on the van, which drew over onto the hard shoulder. A second van parked behind it to help change the tyre.

Passengers of the first van had already got out if the first van but most of the passengers of the second van were still inside when it was hit by the truck.

Chatree Wantha, 56, the driver of the first van, was also injured. He was holding a flash light so the driver of the second van could see while he was changing the tyre. Chatree was hurled by the impact onto the bridge but landed on the grass and suffered only slight injuries.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376389

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-19

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Has anybody in Thailand ever heard of these things?

They work in other countries and make sure that nobody drives into a standing vehicle.

warndreieck-richtig-aufstellen-c098f7151

Compulsory equipment in many European countries also required in your vehicle is a high visibility jacket and an  approved breathalyser.

41 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Compulsory equipment in many European countries also required in your vehicle is a high visibility jacket and an approved breathalyser.

Having a brain is also very compulsory equipment to have but leave it at home before hitting the roads...

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They work in other countries and make sure that nobody drives into a standing vehicle.

Of course they have them in Thailand, we call it a broken tree branch!

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have one in the back of the car just in case. and a police flashing light battery starter pack to attract attention. I've only ever had two accidents and both were being rear ended at red lights. If the car breaks down I think I'd be doomed without these

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Of course they have them in Thailand, we call it a broken tree branch!

Some shubbery/gras/leaves can also do and maximum distance from vehicle is 5 m. Just too hot to walk further behind.

Whenever I see this, the rule about taking a brain with you comes to my mind.

Brainless, useless. What do they think this achieves? NOTHING!

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes, but do you think that would have made any difference?

Not a bit of difference, the driver of the truck obviously was oblivious to the presence of the vans who may have had their emergency flashers on.  He would have simply plowed right over the marker/s.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Useless, when the drivers are ignorant and doze off several times.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I've actually seen them. But they've been placed so close to the "standing vehicle" (often after a blind curve), that they don't fulfill their purpose.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some shubbery/gras/leaves can also do and maximum distance from vehicle is 5 m. Just too hot to walk further behind.

Whenever I see this, the rule about taking a brain with you comes to my mind.

Brainless, useless. What do they think this achieves? NOTHING!

and when they leave the scene they leave the branches laying there, so you don't know if the affected vehicle is there or not.  After seeing a few like this one tends to disregard the warning branch.  so lazy these folks.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

i've seen the thais have their own version, they use a small tree branch placed in the road preceding a stopped vehicle. there are obviously disadvantages to this system; there aren't may trees near express ways/elevated roads and branches can fall onto roads of their own volition... however, it's the thai way and their going to stick, no pun intended, with it.

P.S. and their fellow citizens will continue to needlessly be injured and die on the roads but, mai pen rai.

Archived