Stop Traveling Within Thailand Because of TM30

Since there seems to be little or no changes in TM30 reporting, it such pain in the _ss for all those on retirement visas, marriage visas, business visas and other long-term visas, and extensions thereof,  just stop traveling within Thailand. If you want to travel go to other nearby countries. A wonderful option is Vietnam, Cambodia (not Sinhanoukville), Bali, maybe even Myanmar. You may decide to never return to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

If you want to travel go to other nearby countries. A wonderful option is Vietnam, Cambodia (not Sinhanoukville), Bali, maybe even Myanmar.

When we come back from our travels to those countries we don't have to submit a TM30?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When we come back from our travels to those countries we don't have to submit a TM30?

I believe you will still have to submit a TM30 upon return.

However your monies will have been spent elsewhere not in Thailand. Money talks in Thailand. Money is extremely important in Thailand and even justifies breaking the law or the law looking away or not acting against criminal behaviour (like the Red Bull lad killing a policeman)

If the money leaves Thailand, meaning you the long term visa holder, Thailand will take notice, and eventually attract the money back. Money is the most critical factor in Thai society and to sway Thai government into the direction you want it to go, either action or non-action on a particular issue.

Edited by Banana7
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Since there seems to be little or no changes in TM30 reporting, it such pain in the _ss for all those on retirement visas, marriage visas, business visas and other long-term visas, and extensions thereof,  just stop traveling within Thailand.

Maybe you live on Planet Banana.

I live in Thailand.

Have done for 16 years.

Out on the bike yesterday, 3 different provinces. No TM30's, no passports shown,  inc police road blocks.

Road trip last year for a week or so with my Dad (on holiday) and my wife. Prolly 20 provinces.

None of us saw or filled a TM30 in.

In 16 years i have never seen, nor filled a TM30 in.

I really don't understand Expat's paranoia about this piece of paper, sorry.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe you live on Planet Banana.

I live in Thailand.

Have done for 16 years.

Out on the bike yesterday, 3 different provinces. No TM30's, no passports shown,  inc police road blocks.

Road trip last year for a week or so with my Dad (on holiday) and my wife. Prolly 20 provinces.

None of us saw or filled a TM30 in.

In 16 years i have never seen, nor filled a TM30 in.

I really don't understand Expat's paranoia about this piece of paper, sorry.

It really does seem to depend on which immigration Office you report to, TG. In my province, Khon Kaen, a TM30 has been required for some time after returning from abroad. That might even have changed now to include domestic travel.

After the last trip to UK with MrsL in 2015, our friendly IO who'd issued my re-entry permit and knew our travel dates phoned my wife within 24 hours of return and reminded us to get the TM30 done - but we'd beaten her to it and done the thing at the local police station, which was perfectly acceptable. Her reminder to get it done, despite being friendly and aimed at avoiding problems, was serious. Same thing after a trip to Vietnam earlier this year. TM30 has been required there for 90-Day reports for some time now. 

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I believe you will still have to submit a TM30 upon return.

However your monies will have been spent elsewhere not in Thailand. Money talks in Thailand. Money is extremely important in Thailand and even justifies breaking the law or the law looking away or not acting against criminal behaviour (like the Red Bull lad killing a policeman)

If the money leaves Thailand, meaning you the long term visa holder, Thailand will take notice, and eventually attract the money back. Money is the most critical factor in Thai society and to sway Thai government into the direction you want it to go, either action or non-action on a particular issue.

I think they make more money from rice than they'll ever make from us! But you hit them in the pocket by all means!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It takes my wife 5min to do from her phone. I have sympathy for those who feel they need to do it the old fashioned way and drive for hours to meet an IO face to face. 

Good for you. Not everyone has that luxury just yet. I'm sure this will be a non-story in due time.

Cheers

Not travelling within Thailand anymore because of TM30 is imo way over the top.

The only time that IO checks whether you are in compliance with TM30 is when you do an extension of stay (for most of us that would be once a year).

Just ensure that a current TM30 is filed from the place where you are staying, prior to visiting the IO, and you will be OK.

And to be on the safe side also file a TM30 when you return from a trip abroad.

But although the law expects you to, there is no need for filing any intermediate TM30s after your return from trips in Thailand, as the only check which is done by your provincial IO is whether the one currently on file is from the place where are staying at the moment of application.

Obviously, if no current TM30 was filed, your extension of stay will be denied, and that can be a big hassle (especially if you are not the owner and do not have the housebook and owner's ID-card copy with you, which would allow you to do it on the spot and simply pay the fine).

Note: If you file your TM30 online, it is actually not big a deal to even file an updated TM30 after every trip.  Once you filed the first one, it's a matter of minutes to upload an update.

Also please do not assume that I am a big TM30 fan because of this post explaining how to deal with it with the least effort possible.  As 99.99% of the TVF community I would be happy and relieved if it would be scrapped for tourists/long-stayers (or like the TM28 not be enforced for domestic travel).

Edited by Peter Denis

Seriously. People are losing their minds about changing Provence for a couple of days.

If you have a Thai gf/wife book the hotel in her name. They will only ask for her I'd if it's not a big hotel chain.

If I don't I wouldn't worry. Can't get a answer to a email here so the chances of someone cross referencing a tm30 to a hotel check in is very unlikely.

• Sad 1

It takes my wife 5min to do from her phone. I have sympathy for those who feel they need to do it the old fashioned way and drive for hours to meet an IO face to face. 

They seem to have fixed the online system, I registered and it took less than a minute to get my userid and password and then self filed since I just arrived back into the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app