BANGKOK
kingstonkid

Kanchanaburi better to go with group or by myself

Hi.  Looking for expert help.  Thinking of going to visit the river and the death railway for a couple of days in the area.  How hard is it to get around to the different spots and is it better to go in a tour group or go on my own.

I am retired military so looking to spend a lot of time looking at the camp and walking and thinking.

Also if you can recommend a good place to stay and get a beer at night it would not be a bad ting lol

• Like 1

1st photo was taken from our hotel.

I'd recommend going on your own, with your own mean of transport.

Stay minimum 2 nights, 3 could be better (if you don't want to rush):

1 day for Kanchanaburi downtown

1 day for Hellfire Pass

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can do it alone...just be smart about the places you walk alone after dark...👍

• Confused 2

Been there many times,safety seems no issue.I always stay at a place called 'Blue Star'

Very quiet and you wont even hear the traffic,other places closer to the bars are noisy which i dont like.

By the way,a good movie about a real war story in Kan.is 'the railway man'

In a group you go at the pace of the group. If you wish to spend a little longer somewhere you might be disappointed and have to move on.

However, this is assuming you have your own transport. If you do not have your own transport the trip will be difficult going solo unless you throw a lot of money at it.

I took my 75 year old mother in our own car and she found it very interesting to see where her uncle Titch had suffered but would never talk about.

She hates the Japs to this day but goes to church every week. 

Feelings run deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You won't have problems getting around, assuming adequate funding... there are surely day tours too.. but since the only thing you mention of import is having time... go on your own. That insures your control over that aspect. 

Have a good trip - the cemetery can be evocative... 

If you have time and transport - Erawan Falls is a bit out of town but quite lovely.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1