Upper Thailand warned of plunge in temperature, heavy downpours

webfact

Upper Thailand warned of plunge in temperature, heavy downpours

By The Nation

800_2cf8a2ea1c49595.jpg

Residents of the North and Northeast were warned by the Meteorological Department to brace themselves for a sharp drop in temperature and heavy downpours from today (Thursday) to Sunday.

In its first urgent warning about the drop in temperature issued Wednesday, the department said a monsoon trough will move across the lower North, the upper Central and the Northeast regions from Thursday to Sunday before the arrival of a moderate high-pressure system, causing the air temperature to plummet over the North and Northeastern regions. Increased rain is also forecast with some heavy downpours and gusty winds possible on Saturday and Sunday, the warning added.

From Monday to Wednesday, the upper part of country will see temperatures dropping by 3-5 degrees Celsius, starting in Northeast then moving to other regions.

The department advised the public to closely monitor weather reports.

The affected areas are as following:

Thursday and Friday, heavy to very heavy rains:

North: Phitsanulok, Phichit, Uttaradit, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet and Phetchabun

Northeast: Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, Surin, Sisaket and Ubon Ratchathani

Central: Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Nakhon Sawan, Ang Thong, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Saraburi and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi

September 21-22, heavy to very heavy rains and strong winds:

Northeast: Surin, Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani.

Central: Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri,

Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Ang Thong, Sing Buri, and Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

Southern: Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376399

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-19

We had a good soaking rain last night in Northern Lamphun province.  Well needed by the way as the various lakes, catch-basins, and reservoirs are lower than at any time I've lived in Thailand.  If those don't fill more completely over the next month there is going to be a big problem with water availability next year.  So, this drenching is much welcomed.  Bring it on.  The more the better. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

We had a good soaking rain last night in Northern Lamphun province.  Well needed by the way as the various lakes, catch-basins, and reservoirs are lower than at any time I've lived in Thailand.  If those don't fill more completely over the next month there is going to be a big problem with water availability next year.  So, this drenching is much welcomed.  Bring it on.  The more the better. 

Funny, just yesterday BritManToo posted: 

“It's been really wet in Chiang Mai, all the dams (I cycle past) are full.”

10 minutes ago, Catoni said:

The graph here -

col_6-11568860367.jpg

shows this is a pretty normal year at one reservoir that supplies Chiang Mai with tap water. It's updated daily. Helps if you read Thai.

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Well I have slaughtered all the livestock, barred the doors and windows and am sitting here with a torch across my knees.

I am well prepared for the coming rapture.  

All thats left's  to  eat the Wife when the livestock food  supply runs out, though a decent husband ( assumption i  know) would let the wife eat you as falang fatter

9 minutes ago, AaronC76 said:

Only this website where people argue about the weather <deleted>

yep, topics been pretty boring lately.   How about you start us with a new and interesting one ?

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

According to this forecast, Chiang Mai is not included in all the wetness. 

It was tipping down the past two nights.

Correct.  But not the same storm as in the OP.  We'll probably still get some rain, but not in the same magnitude as some of those other places.

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

They'll have to dig  out those blankets they were all given last year and the year before and  the year before and before before before etc

These handouts are the cheapest blankets that can be found and will not last a year. Nothing left of them to dig out.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Chiangmai here is so damn hot during the last few days. I hope the temperature drops and rain comes more often.

Sansai Noi. Rain the last two nights, heavy at times. Currently, steady heavy rain. 17:15 September 19. The thing I have noted in Chiang Mai as one area can get the rain and another area quite dry.

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Maybe he's cycling around first year...
Should "cycle" to the Mae Kuang Dam and have a look on which line the trees start to grow, could give some inspiration about when the dam is full.

Cannot understand how they have made that forecast for Phetchabun for today. I look at the satellite images and radar at TMD at least twice a day and there is nothing on there to suggest this. The monsoon trough is well south of central Thailand. Has been mostly sunny (and hot 35C) all day with cloud now moving in from the East. Maybe some isolated showers coming here but nothing big enough for a warning.

1 hour ago, 0815 said:

Maybe he's cycling around first year...
Should "cycle" to the Mae Kuang Dam and have a look on which line the trees start to grow, could give some inspiration about when the dam is full.

Tree line is well above the height of the spillway.  Water never gets as high as the tree line.

Archived