Upper Thailand warned of plunge in temperature, heavy downpours

webfact

2 hours ago, Dap said:

These handouts are the cheapest blankets that can be found and will not last a year. Nothing left of them to dig out.

Maybe they are just never really given out ...it is just a myth.  I have seen blankets that I think are pretty cheap, in India and various places, and I think they are pretty indestructible polyester from China because I see them all over the world, the same ones.

5 hours ago, connda said:

We had a good soaking rain last night in Northern Lamphun province.  Well needed by the way as the various lakes, catch-basins, and reservoirs are lower than at any time I've lived in Thailand.  If those don't fill more completely over the next month there is going to be a big problem with water availability next year.  So, this drenching is much welcomed.  Bring it on.  The more the better. 

Agreed absolutely.

Dudes it is just whaling down at Phra Khanong. Like lightning right overhead and just sheeting! I can barely see 100 meters up Sukh towards the center of town.

I was going to go out tonight but guess what, its Netflix and Kanom! Nasty. 

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

here you go:

2019-09-19_TopChart_13.jpg

2019-09-19_13_UpperWind850.jpg

Thanks, but I mean when people give reports ... Instead of rattling off names and saying "especially bad /// etc" ... then making it our job to go FIND these places ... they learn the technology that allows highlighting of maps with names.  Even in your map's case ... I sort of shake my head and got "Yea, I know where northern Thailand is ..."

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Same old nonsense . People moving from a northern country and then whining about the weather in the tropics.

The tropical climate is known for high temperatures and a rainy season. Go back to Europe or wherever if you can't handle it.

Agreed... I get a laugh out of backpack travelers, tourist travelers, and ex-pats who vacation in or move to live in tropical countries.. .and then they whine and cry and complain about the heat.  Usually as they step outside from their A/C cooled hotel rooms, hostel, Air B&B, apartment. or house. 

1.  Tropical countries are hot.    Duhhh ! 

2.  If you live in cool A/C in your hotel, hostel, Air B&B, house or apartment... you will NEVER acclimatize to the heat, and you will always suffer when you step outside. 

Fly back to the U.S., Canada, or Europe, or Russia, or wherever you come from.  You'll be more comfortable there. 

Or if you're a leftist Global Warming/Climate Change Alarmist...  travel back to your country in a sailboat so you don't "contribute to the warming" you're so paranoid about.

What were you people expecting ? ? 

12 hours ago, Catoni said:

Agreed... I get a laugh out of backpack travelers, tourist travelers, and ex-pats who vacation in or move to live in tropical countries.. .and then they whine and cry and complain about the heat.  Usually as they step outside from their A/C cooled hotel rooms, hostel, Air B&B, apartment. or house. 

1.  Tropical countries are hot.    Duhhh ! 

2.  If you live in cool A/C in your hotel, hostel, Air B&B, house or apartment... you will NEVER acclimatize to the heat, and you will always suffer when you step outside. 

Fly back to the U.S., Canada, or Europe, or Russia, or wherever you come from.  You'll be more comfortable there. 

Or if you're a leftist Global Warming/Climate Change Alarmist...  travel back to your country in a sailboat so you don't "contribute to the warming" you're so paranoid about.

What were you people expecting ? ? 

This thread is about rain though rather than sunny

15 hours ago, Catoni said:

Funny, just yesterday BritManToo posted: 

“It's been really wet in Chiang Mai, all the dams (I cycle past) are full.”

The guy cycles in and around CM. so It is quite likely he doesn't know, let alone see, dams in Lamphun. or Pitsanulok or those surrounding areas for that matter. They might very well be nigh on empty.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Just back from UK where a 'lovely day' was one where the temperature soared to 19!

Dude I have been in cold so gnarly that if you touched metal, your skin froze to it. I took a leak once in the Yukon and it was so cold it was slushing as it hit the ground. You should have seen me dancing to keep the little turtle head from freezing off.

I lived in Toronto, Buffalo, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Montreal. I dont care  if the temp drops 5 degrees here, to me, it aint cold.

But more importantly, how are folks in the floods areas doing?

18 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Cannot understand how they have made that forecast for Phetchabun for today. I look at the satellite images and radar at TMD at least twice a day and there is nothing on there to suggest this. The monsoon trough is well south of central Thailand. Has been mostly sunny (and hot 35C) all day with cloud now moving in from the East. Maybe some isolated showers coming here but nothing big enough for a warning.

Im living in bkk and over the past week ive drove through mild flooding and last night nearly high enough on the rama 9 overpass to flood my engine. Id say if it was 4 cm higher it would have got into my engines airintake. So it most definately is in central thailand. 

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Same old nonsense . People moving from a northern country and then whining about the weather in the tropics.

The tropical climate is known for high temperatures and a rainy season. Go back to Europe or wherever if you can't handle it.

I did not see any complaint, just rational comment and discussion.

But if saying that heips make you feel superior please carry on.

20 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

I will fall out of my chair someday if these Thai Visa Weather Updates ever include a F******g MAP !!!!

very impressive post.    how bout trying this site .  I take a look almost every day when I am not too F*********g  BUSY.  Stay in your chair, it takes a few seconds for map image to come up  ????

Chiang Mai Enhanced Weather Satellite Map - AccuWeather ...

18 hours ago, amykat said:

Maybe they are just never really given out ...it is just a myth.  I have seen blankets that I think are pretty cheap, in India and various places, and I think they are pretty indestructible polyester from China because I see them all over the world, the same ones.

I have no reason to question your experiences with the "indestructible polyester from China", but I have been present at several handouts throughout northern Thailand over the past 25 years and seen the wear and tear that large and mostly impoverished families can put these blankets through in the course of a year. These handouts are in no way "a myth" and several people die each year from being unable to protect themselves from the elements.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, Dap said:

.. seen the wear and tear that large and mostly impoverished families can put these blankets through in the course of a year. 

What do they do with them, use them as roofing or something? Normal polyester sofa blanket lasts me .. well stop the counter when I croak, but probably 40-50years. 

51 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

What do they do with them, use them as roofing or something? Normal polyester sofa blanket lasts me .. well stop the counter when I croak, but probably 40-50years. 

Actually, yes, among other uses I have often seen the blankets wired or tied to bamboo or trees or shacks to use as shade, or laid out on the ground to eat on or for the children to play on during the day and slept under at night. These folk are to a great extent impoverished and often survive on the generosity of NGO's and government assistance. Hand to mouth is commonplace. These are not the "normal polyester sofa blankets" you speak of and a lot of these folk have never even seen a sofa. As I said, the handout blankets given to these very needy people rarely last a year which is why they are handed out each and every year. These are also many of the same people who are in desperate need of drinking water (supplied by government services etc. during the heat of summer. They simply do not have the pocket change that we do to buy plastic bottles of potable water. Extreme hardship exists whether we see it or not.

1 hour ago, Dap said:

Actually, yes, among other uses I have often seen the blankets wired or tied to bamboo or trees or shacks to use as shade, or laid out on the ground to eat on or for the children to play on during the day and slept under at night. 

Sounds like blankets aren't a good idea then, as they are not durable enough. How about building fireplaces from clay, I suppose they have some sort of fuel for a fire?

For more ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

Archived