Five Year Motorcycle (Vehicle) Inspection

NCC1701A

So what is the deal with this? Documents required? What happens if you don't do it? 

I just did my five year registration in March and they did not ask for anything. Then I heard about this five year inspection. 

Do I go to the transportation office and say what to the nice ladies who are all hoping I will leave? "Look my motorcycle. See. Perfect! You want to ride with me?"  

If you renewed registration in March without any problems that means you did not have to have bike inspected.  BUT  probably next year you will need to ( if bike is over 5 years old) .  You can not get your  registration renewed without the paper (formal receipt)  from an inspection station.  They are easy to spot once you have been to one.  Usually close to MV department.    Nothing to it.... as long as lights and brakes etc work.   Cost is 60 baht for cycle inspection      More for a car ( not needed till after 7 years)

Yes, you need to bring your green book when inspecting.  Really nothing new except need that inspection slip along with the usual stuff when doing annual renewal

thai :  truat sapahp rot     check vehicle condition

Next year take it to one of the many inspection centres  showing this logo

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

they can do everything for you for a small fee  or just get the inspection done..then you need  to get the compulsory insurance and then take  green book and insurance certificate to the DLT and pay  for Tax  they will print a tax disc and update the green book..

I seem to remember you can get insurance and tax disk at 7/11 too but never have tried it myself  some provinces have a drive through DLT...in Pattaya they have a tax issuing desk  only Saturdays at "Central The Beach"  6th floor next to Pizza company

saves a trip out to the DLT

I always ask the shop where I bought and service my bike to do this.

This year it was 5 years old and they told me they need to bring the bike to the inspection.

I don't even know if they charged anything extra, it was as usual a couple of hundred THB for service, tax renewal, etc.

My small bike has a medium loud aftermarket exhaust and other people in this forum mentioned a couple of month ago that was a problem for them with their bikes.

For me it was never mentioned. And that is one of the reasons why I let the shop do these things. Nothing to worry about, no hassle, they just get it done.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It takes a lot to fail.

This year I saw them refuse to do a test on a Mercedes Benz   because the headlights didn't work !

the owner asked for some leeway but the testing staff said he couldn't help as the whole inspection process was videoed and recorded along with test results onto the computer..which I suppose is linked to the DLT computer ???

So they do seem to be getting slightly more strict but as you say it takes a lot to fail  and the standards to pass are/seem very low to start with  not like in European countries which I think are to strict now.

35 minutes ago, johng said:

they can do everything for you for a small fee  or just get the inspection done..then you need  to get the compulsory insurance and then take  green book and insurance certificate to the DLT and pay  for Tax  they will print a tax disc and update the green book..

All this is included in the 60 baht fee. The company will take care of everything. Green book will be ready the day after the 'inspection'.

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Green book will be ready the day after the 'inspection'.

Depends upon the shop you use as to how quick the green book will be returned    60 baht fee is for the bike "inspection"

getting the tax disk and updated book  is normally an extra charge,  but if you found a place that does it all for 60 baht then good for you..

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

so it sounds like i will wait for them to ask for it most likely during next registration. thanks everybody. 

and now back to the "Do you cheat on your wife" topic.

Nobody will ask you to do anything. You have to do the inspection before you can renew your tax disc/sticker.

59 minutes ago, johng said:

This year I saw them refuse to do a test on a Mercedes Benz   because the headlights didn't work !

the owner asked for some leeway but the testing staff said he couldn't help as the whole inspection process was videoed and recorded along with test results onto the computer..which I suppose is linked to the DLT computer ???

So they do seem to be getting slightly more strict but as you say it takes a lot to fail  and the standards to pass are/seem very low to start with  not like in European countries which I think are to strict now.

Concur.

Everything is recorded.

It really is a simple test, basics should work, and they are generally helpful, knowledgeable staff that run the place.

For the owners i think they are a little goldmine too.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

It takes a lot to fail.

Visual check of lights, simple sit on brake tests, noise and some exhaust test.

Certainly does take a lot to fail.

I had a brake light out (the rear brake was making the light come on but the front brake was not) and my indicators were held on by a combination of cable ties and duct tape and it still passed! 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always ask the shop where I bought and service my bike to do this.

This year it was 5 years old and they told me they need to bring the bike to the inspection.

I don't even know if they charged anything extra, it was as usual a couple of hundred THB for service, tax renewal, etc.

My small bike has a medium loud aftermarket exhaust and other people in this forum mentioned a couple of month ago that was a problem for them with their bikes.

For me it was never mentioned. And that is one of the reasons why I let the shop do these things. Nothing to worry about, no hassle, they just get it done.

the usual "pay and okay" system in thailand...

I drive to the sign, park my bike, give them the green book.

They fiddle around for ten minutes, give me insurance and a bit of paper in the green book and ask for 410bht.

Then I go to the tax office, hand them the book, they ask for 101bht and give me a tax disk.

Never seen anyone fail the inspection.

Car did fail once but only because government officers were checking at the time, too smokey, took the car to the next place and it passed.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Certainly does take a lot to fail.

I had a brake light out (the rear brake was making the light come on but the front brake was not) and my indicators were held on by a combination of cable ties and duct tape and it still passed! 

My CRF is 100% sound...but they refused to even look at it last year because no indicators were fitted (I had removed them the 2nd day I had the bike, rather than knock them off LOL)...so yes, they are beginning to tighten up slightly

20180528.jpg

55 minutes ago, johng said:

Without indicators how do you signal your intentions to turn left and right on the public highway ?

If you use it off road then no need for an inspection...but you can't have it both ways.

With your arms...you know, the old fashioned way before bikes had indicators.

And just for info, to pass an MOT in UK indicators must work if they are fitted...no indicators, no problem.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so it sounds like i will wait for them to ask for it most likely during next registration. thanks everybody. 

and now back to the "Do you cheat on your wife" topic.

Never whilst the bike is being tested...........a  man must have some principles

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

My CRF is 100% sound...but they refused to even look at it last year because no indicators were fitted (I had removed them the 2nd day I had the bike, rather than knock them off LOL)...so yes, they are beginning to tighten up slightly

20180528.jpg

seen more  polish than mud  by the looks  of it.

18 hours ago, johng said:

Next year take it to one of the many inspection centres  showing this logo

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

I seem to remember you can get insurance and tax disk at 7/11 too but never have tried it myself  some provinces have a drive through DLT...in Pattaya they have a tax issuing desk  only Saturdays at "Central The Beach"  6th floor next to Pizza company

saves a trip out to the DLT

I go to one in Khon Kaen with this logo.

They check the bike, issue insurance and 2 or 3 days later I go back to collect the registration disc. No need to go to DLT, they do it all for you.

13 hours ago, Neilly said:

And just for info, to pass an MOT in UK indicators must work if they are fitted...no indicators, no problem.

UK mot rules taken from handbook

If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:
. cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or
. was first used before 1 August 1986, or
. 'off road' machines which are designed to carry only the rider.
. 'off road' machines with side car designed to carry the rider and one passenger in the side car.

construction and use regulations 1989, schedule 1 table 2 and  schedule 7 1c

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

I've seen  passengers on the back of bikes  use the "limp wrist"  indicator method quite a lot  its not as easy to spot as a flashing yellow light   I've never seen the actual rider use arm signals, would have  thought its pretty dangerous trying to signal right to get across 3 lanes to the u-turn   and then there are all the other (competing) hand signals to be watching out for as well as all the other distractions on the road..

arm-signals.jpg.137b0ae874cd3504161ad6704f85e6fa.jpg

12-Motorcycle-Hand-Signals-You-Should-Know-Infographic-790x1024.jpg.7b2d33fd497ee0bf736648d0bcf947bc.jpg

image.png.99061dd5f18013a0222aa62a9de80f2f.png

Been riding like this since the 70's.

If legal, and not all of my bikes i could (FI modern Guzzi's etc), the first thing to come off my bikes is the indicators, followed by stock mirrors.

And then a stock silencer.

And then................

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Where is the mud? These roads should be no problem with a Honda Click (as you can see by the tourists which you met)

We don't have/get mud per se, but it does get pretty slick, we ride at least once a week up in the hills and we would be more than happy for you to join us on your Click...we've seen quite a few tourists up there over the years and it's great entertainment ????

On 9/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, loong said:

I go to one in Khon Kaen with this logo.

They check the bike, issue insurance and 2 or 3 days later I go back to collect the registration disc. No need to go to DLT, they do it all for you.

Mine is posted back to me for 50 baht.

Archived