Thai universities in World University Rankings 2020

webfact

17 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

No, you need to read the OP again.  two Thai universities are in that range (601-800).  16 Thai universities in total were in the rankings, which suggests that the other 14 Thai universities were between 801-1400.

You’re right of course, TWO were rated 600-800, Chulalongkorn was rated 800-1000 and the remainder were all lower than 1000. Mind you, those of us interested in such things have known for years that the Thai education system needs a radical overhaul. The only problem is that nothing is ever done and only constant rhetoric persists. ????

Shameful, but not at all surprising. There's not a single Thai university that meets international standards. That there are a few that made this list - in many cases: barely - really isn't a matter of pride, just look at the ones from other countries that they compete with for those spots.

Somewhere between 601 and 800 is too high. I taught at Mahidol's International College. Few, and I mean very few, members of the faculty published. And the percentage publishing in Tier 1 journals was even more minuscule. Maybe half did not even have a PhD. Students can be talented. But they are lazy. They simply don't read--in any language. But then neither do many of the lecturers. I'm guessing the medical schools justify the ranking Mahidol does have. 

3 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Malaysian universities don't belong in any chart or ranking. Students are as restricted in speech as those in China, with the added Muslim interference. And the quality of lecturers is just that--all they do is lecture and learning is, of course, by rote.

I've given lectures at and visited UKM. It's better than anything in Thailand, although the plagiarism issue is greater among faculty.  But that is simply because people can get away with not publishing in Thailand and keep their job.

Thailand education is too bureaucratic. Activities, rituals, meetings, conferences, every week. Lessons not so much. Teaching methods seems like high school or sometime secondary school. Teachers are venerated as divinity, to protect the  social inequality and the divisions in Caste. And all the scandals happen inside, nobody want to speak out for the reputation of the University (bribery, sexual scandal relationship between staff and/or professors, social networks of power e many other evil things).

For all the reason, I'm not surprised for the results.

3 hours ago, 300sd said:

Guess this could have some effect on Medical tourism.

Seems to hinge more on costs than chancing it with the education/background of medical staff.

For the Arab sector, obtaining some services they may not be able to at home, or perhaps not without embarrassment.

Earlier this year CNN broadcast a documentary comparing the respective costs of medical treatment at Bumrungrad and at hospitals in the United States. The report calculated that the presenter could fly to Bangkok for two nights and get a colonoscopy, MRI scan, in-depth blood screening and a consultation for a sore shoulder for $4,300.

According to CNN the average cost of receiving this treatment in the US would have been $43,000 USD. So, while a combination of falling oil prices and improved local health care is persuading patients in the UAE to stay at home, hospitals in Thailand such as Bumrungrad still have tremendous appeal to medical tourists from other territories.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/uae-residents-spurn-medical-hot-spot-thailand-with-home-facilities-among-best-in-world-1.217829

I shy away from Thai Docs, had a few strange to very off-putting experiences.  For routine/preventative things, I'll drive a few hours down to BKK and see Dr. Nick at Mission Hospital.   When it comes to medical, for me, there's no subsititute for being able to discuss and ask questions in native English. 

According to The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR), www.cwur.org, the Thai universities are ranked (among 2000 universities):

486 Chulalongkorn University Thailand
500 Mahidol University Thailand
924 Chiang Mai University Thailand
1104 Prince of Songkla University Thailand
1107 Khon Kaen University Thailand
1191 Kasetsart University Thailand
1456 King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi Thailand
1603 Thammasat University Thailand
1763 Suranaree University of Technology Thailand
1917 Mae Fah Luang University Thailand
1983 Asian Institute of Technology Thailand

I just finished my PhD in computational science at Mae Fah Luang. Took just over 5 years, and was the hardest thing I have ever done. I can say that it is a very good school, though I am surprised to see it ranked higher than Chiang Mai university or the other famous schools in Bangkok. In fact, I think this is the first year I have seen MFU ranked at all. It's good to see MFU getting some recognition. They have been working hard to create a world class institution there.

Just saw the post by yussiesamuiThe ranking for MFU in that list makes more sense to me. MFU hasn't been around long enough to leap ahead of places like CMU, Kaset, Chula, etc.

Archived