Advice needed on removing sink stain

Bangkok Barry

I was recently directed by 'she who must be obeyed' to use a toilet cleaning liquid to clear a smelly sink drain. Wrong, as in doing so I badly splashed areas other than the actual drain and stained it.

Can anyone recommend a way of repairing the damage, a stain remover that might do the job? Obviously the sink is still okay but it's ugly, and I don't like ugly.

20190919_105851.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Obviously the sink is still okay but it's ugly, and I don't like ugly.

Have you looked at your avatar lately? ????

There are some strong household cleaners that can be bought off the shelf here. They can do damage. If there is no noticeable pitting, you might like to try steel wool with a bit of washing up detergent and see how that goes for you.

13 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I am looking for something to clean a kitchen work top, dunno what material the top is but it's not granite, it's like a smooth light wood I suppose in white..got tea bag and curry stains etc that won't come out..any ideas? cheers

You need some pictures, overview and close up. Answers depend on the material of the work top (veneer or solid) finish used and penetration of the stain.

Quick and easily done on a solid wood top will ruin a veneer. Treating a solid top in the way you need to for a veneer will be a massive waste of time.

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You need some pictures, overview and close up. Answers depend on the material of the work top (veneer or solid) finish used and penetration of the stain.

Quick and easily done on a solid wood top will ruin a veneer. Treating a solid top in the way you need to for a veneer will be a massive waste of time.

Sorry, mrs says it's a combo of pvc and wood.. like this, it's not a solid quality, just cheap thin-ish material https://www.laminatekitchenworktops.co.uk/product/antique-white/

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Sorry, mrs says it's a combo of pvc and wood.. like this, it's not a solid quality, just cheap thin-ish material https://www.laminatekitchenworktops.co.uk/product/antique-white/

Chipboard covered with PVC then. Try Cif cleaner on an area that can't usually be seen. It may take the printed pattern off if it's really cheap stuff or it may clean it. If the pattern goes the replacement is probably the only way, if it cleans then try it on a less notable area and if you are still lucky try other bits.

it's on Lazada 

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Chipboard covered with PVC then. Try Jif/Cif cleaner on an area that can't usually be seen. It may take the printed pattern off if it's really cheap stuff or it may clean it. If the pattern goes the replacement is probably the only way, if it cleans then try it on a less notable area and if you are still lucky try other bits.

Ok great! It's 160 Bt on Lazada.

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I am looking for something to clean a kitchen work top, dunno what material the top is but it's not granite, it's like a smooth light wood I suppose in white..got tea bag and curry stains etc that won't come out..any ideas? cheers

if you got curry stains forget it ?? It is usually the yellow turmeric that sips in,  which is hard to get rid of especially wood.  I have it on my formica countertop..........

While writing this it inspired me to do a google search, and this is what I found. I have not tried it yet.

"In most cases, however, a paste made of equal parts water and baking soda will do wonders: Make the paste, apply it to the countertop, and let it sit about 15 minutes before scrubbing it off. Lemon juice or white vinegar will also help—as will a scrub with a Magic Eraser (or similar product. "

https://food52.com/blog/15548-how-to-get-rid-of-turmeric-stains-on-your-dishes-linens-counters-and-fingers

As for the Op.It seems to be a chemical reaction and without knowing what the chemicals involved in it would be difficult to know how to neutralise it. Not being a chemist I would not know how to neutralize it even if I knew the chemicals , but perhaps the internet could provide an answer.

If it is surface limited dummage, as others said, steel wool , soap , and elbow grease . LOL 

As said my others if ir is light surface damage , steel wool might be 

Got some similar stains when my Mrs decided to fill a Mr muscle with drain cleaner then place it back unmarked along side a new bottle for me to strip all the chrome from plug holes and the sink I never found anything to get rid of it and think of it now as a design feature????   

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah dynamite, then get it renewed..????

A flood will do wonders on chipboard cabinets.  After the 2011 flood I cleaned the kitchen cabinets in my town house in Bangkok with a shovel and a wheel barrow!

42 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Which I would say is the same as Jif/Cif/Vim/Ajax etc.  Ie. scouring powder.

If those turn out to be too aggressive then after using them you can always use this to finish off. Every house should have some, it never goes off, you probably only need a tiny amount, and if it ever dries out a small amount of paraffin will restore it, IMG_8329.thumb.JPG.9fb9b7414fe879212a4054923c535e81.JPGIMG_8331.thumb.JPG.7c996a43d727f28b3cffc563bf65d785.JPG

automotive polishing compound will work well on the stainless it also works well on polished granite.  I stain a granite counter top with toilet cleaner that had HCL in it and was able to polish out the stain with the compound.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If those turn out to be too aggressive then after using them you can always use this to finish off. Every house should have some, it never goes off, you probably only need a tiny amount, and if it ever dries out a small amount of paraffin will restore it, IMG_8329.thumb.JPG.9fb9b7414fe879212a4054923c535e81.JPGIMG_8331.thumb.JPG.7c996a43d727f28b3cffc563bf65d785.JPG

...and available in Thailand. Bonus. At 7-Eleven i think.

Autosol would also work. 

010008.jpg

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I did check on the brasso and found it easily on Lazada, though since the 2 cans I've got must be over 40 years old I doubt I will ever need any more;)

Brasso and auto polishing compound available in the small Tesco near me.  Polishing compound in the auto section with the car waxes and brasso in the household cleanser department.

Archived