5G in Thailand... when?

heiri007

14 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Any insights if and when 5G might be available in Thailand?

What do you personally expect from 5G?

For me this seems to be one of those things with a big hype which most people won't need.

I know there are technical reasons for 5G like i.e. self driving cars communication.

But I don't see any reason why most users would need or even profit from 5G.

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-5g-isnt-going-to-make-your-4g-lte-phone-obsolete/

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-wont-replace-4g-5g-myths-debunked/

No no need to buy a 5G phone just yet, actually your next 2-3 phone purchases might as well be a 4G one but more and more phones will get it soon I think. 

Agree on last posters saying; why do you need it when you wont feel any difference?

My current 2 phones will be used for 2-3 years as usual (budget phones) before moving on to the next generation and they will likely have 5G but if I find a phone I really like and it don't have 5G, I still buy it.

11 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Thing is 5G is so much faster than existing technology

So you can use up your monthly data volume in 5 instead of in 10 minutes? There are only very few people who have a full speed no limits plan.

When buying a new phone for use in Thailand now, there is no reason to pay any attention to 5G support. Maybe when buying your next phone in two years or so you can consider it.

I expect 5G coverage to be about like this:

In the next 2-3 years we will have 5G coverage in the center of Bangkok, at the BTS / MRT stations and at the big malls.

In 5 years we will have coverage in a broader area in Bangkok, and in highly frequented places in other cites like malls or for example Chiang Mai old city.

In 10 years we will have coverage in most city centers, but i expect that the current 5G will never really be available in rural areas, the range is just too small. They will probably invent a new standard for use in rural areas, maybe once they don't use 3G anymore they can use these frequencies for something new.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

So you can use up your monthly data volume in 5 instead of in 10 minutes? There are only very few people who have a full speed no limits plan.

When buying a new phone for use in Thailand now, there is no reason to pay any attention to 5G support. Maybe when buying your next phone in two years or so you can consider it.

I expect 5G coverage to be about like this:

In the next 2-3 years we will have 5G coverage in the center of Bangkok, at the BTS / MRT stations and at the big malls.

In 5 years we will have coverage in a broader area in Bangkok, and in highly frequented places in other cites like malls or for example Chiang Mai old city.

In 10 years we will have coverage in most city centers, but i expect that the current 5G will never really be available in rural areas, the range is just too small. They will probably invent a new standard for use in rural areas, maybe once they don't use 3G anymore they can use these frequencies for something new.

In 10 years we will have 7G and AI controlling our lives.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

We are, and have been, subject to much higher frequencies than a mobile phone network with no ill effects. The allusion to a microwave oven is just that.

I'm not an expert and many expert seems to disagree. The meme I posted is funny tho. I don't really care since I'm living in a rural area where even 4G is weak and there is no real 4G coverage at all. 

If you read up on it one of the problems with 5G is it uses higher frequency waves in addition to the ones used now.  These higher frequency waves do not penetrate structures very well.  And the worst is cement and brick structures which is what is mostly used in Thailand.  There will have to be many more antennas installed.

I wonder why all the kids that are protesting against climate change are not protesting about the pollution that wifi produces? 5g will only add to the "pollution" levels as well as fry our brains, after it has killed off most of the wildlife.

52 minutes ago, CGW said:

I wonder why all the kids that are protesting against climate change are not protesting about the pollution that wifi produces? 5g will only add to the "pollution" levels as well as fry our brains, after it has killed off most of the wildlife.

Maybe because they are not scientifically illiterate.

I use a handmedown from my b/f ( a Samsung about 4-years old with internet switched off).

Will I be able to use it still in 15 years time when 5G arrives in Prasat? and will I still be able to order books from Amazon?

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I use a handmedown from my b/f ( a Samsung about 4-years old with internet switched off).

Will I be able to use it still in 15 years time when 5G arrives in Prasat? and will I still be able to order books from Amazon?

15 years is an eon in the tech world but most likely there will be backwards compatibility for years to come.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:14 AM, heiri007 said:

So... any new phone without 5G compatibility could be obsolete soon indeed...

Yup you got it...????  Try twisting your left ear lobe. It might turn the CPU on top of your shoulders on..

Huawei is already installing pilot 5G networks in Sri Racha Eastern Seaboard Industrial Zone. once the pilot 5G system is proven they hope to install the complete network for Thailand. Vietnam has already awarded their 5G contract to another vendor.

Archived