What is IPTV and should I buy one?

jingjai9

I go to Tesco, Banana, and Power Buy and see big displays for IPTV. Can anyone give a little info. as to what it is? I know IP is Inertnet Protocol and these TV's have the capability to offer Netflix, etc, but are there any other advantages  or limitation to buying an IPTV? Thanks.

52 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Internet Protocol television (IPTV)

A subscription that will enable you to watch TV channels.

Some legal, most are not but you would be able to watch TV from around the world.

I have a TV box connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and operates on Wi FI (or hard wire)...can get TV from all over the world. Bought it in Tuc Com for just over 2000 Bt.

I'd say the only thing to check on is that your internet service is fast enough to support the passage of TV signals, which require a fast internet connection.  If your internet service is not 'up to speed', then your IPTV channels will jerk and freeze.

One example of IPTV which I use to watch UK TV is TeatimeTV. The TV signal is not coming through satellite or cable but through the Internet. This way you can watch UK TV such as the BBC or ITV channels everywhere, also in Thailand, despite the fact that they are not in cable TV here or on a satellite in this part of the world.

I think it would be best to have different system's a HD tv and an

Android box,more things to go wrong inside the Tv,and easier to

upgrade the system when new technology comes in,just buy a

new box,

You can also watch just about everything without an Android box

just connect your HDMI cable from PC to Tv,or load Bluestacks 4

on your PC, then you have the best of both Worlds,

regards Worgeordie

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

They are simply a Smart TV that connects to the internet.

Not really, a smart tv and IPTV are not the same thing. IPTV is a software that offers various channels to watch depending on the one you go for.

From Wiki - Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have a TV box connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and operates on Wi FI (or hard wire)...can get TV from all over the world. Bought it in Tuc Com for just over 2000 Bt.

I have both - a Samsung Smart TV and an Android TV box.  Both connect to the Internet - can be either WiFi or wire connection to your modem.  The Smart TV is also android, but may be limited as to what "apps" can be installed -- mine came with several, including some that require subscription and payment to use.  The Android TV box on the other hand has the ability to download apps, many that provide access to movies and TV shows (no subscription or fee, but best to use a VPN which hides your Internet Address).  These boxes are available at many shops in Thailand -- I obtained mine through Lazada.  Prices vary from less than 1,000 baht on up -- I bought a T95K Pro, which was about 2,300 baht, has dual band WiFi access and some other bells and whistles.  I connect to my dual band WiFi router and have a fiber optic connection, which is usually fast enough for adequate streaming, but do sometimes encounter buffering issues.

If you are using an Android TV box, there are numerous YouTube presentations on how to download various apps. 

I just looked into this and found that most smart tv`s in thailand are stupid . Most 1gb ram , 1 skyworth tv had 500mb ram !? Some of the tv`s agian had android 4.4 which is no longer supported by google  . most are not android but their own operating system so you cannot download apps from playstore. The shops do not tell you this you have to google the make to get the info

at least 4gb ram and android system is recommended but will pay a lot for that in thailand
I bought a non smart tv and a 4gb ram magic see iron+ box and am well happy with it . also can use a wireless mouse and keyboard with android box or as i did bought a wechip air mouse which is excellent. 

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

One example of IPTV which I use to watch UK TV is TeatimeTV. The TV signal is not coming through satellite or cable but through the Internet. This way you can watch UK TV such as the BBC or ITV channels everywhere, also in Thailand, despite the fact that they are not in cable TV here or on a satellite in this part of the world.

Many UK expats used to watch Teatime tv, which was free until some company hijacked it and now ask 600 bt/mth. About double what most iptv subs are for worldwide tv/sports.

2 hours ago, fulhamster said:

Many UK expats used to watch Teatime tv, which was free until some company hijacked it and now ask 600 bt/mth. About double what most iptv subs are for worldwide tv/sports.

I seem to remember it offers pretty much only the UK Freeview channels, so someone is making some money. For what they charge you can get thousands of international channels from other IPTV suppliers.

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Not really, a smart tv and IPTV are not the same thing. IPTV is a software that offers various channels to watch depending on the one you go for.

From Wiki - Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously.

If you read the OP's post, he referred to the TV as an IPTV. My statement certainly is correct.

I know the

1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

2 wrongs don't make a right. IPTV is not hardware (a tv) it is software that has tv channels to watch. Your statement is not correct.

Beg to differ.. The TV is simply a Smart TV. The OP called it an IPTV which is not correct.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

They are simply a Smart TV that connects to the internet.

I was under the impression that a "Smart TV" was in fact a TV that had internet capability with a web browser. My Samsung Smart TV is about 8 years old and came with various apps that pulled movies from the internet but nothing for live TV that needed some other source. I found the so called "Smart" side of the TV pretty useless and started to use an android box, there is a multitude of IPTV software available for those. One of the simplest for live UK programmes is UK TV & Radio available from the play store.

As someone else has pointed out the IPTV designation has come about for TVs that have software pre-installed to stream live TV.

There are loads out there  Primehd for instance........however before getting one trial it.   There has just been a major bust 

which I have heard has severely impacted a lot of iptv services.  Where you can not get subscriptions and I notice a lot of the 

UK channels for sports are currently offline 

Some services are offline completely .........the bust come under xstream codes  

15 hours ago, oporhatch said:

There has just been a major bust 

which I have heard has severely impacted a lot of iptv services.  Where you can not get subscriptions and I notice a lot of the 

UK channels for sports are currently offline 

Some services are offline completely .........the bust come under xstream codes  

Here's a link to the news about that law enforcement bust of a major service that provides the software support packages for many IPTV operators.

https://torrentfreak.com/xtream-codes-iptv-system-targeted-in-massive-police-operation/

One other pertinent thing to mention about a LOT of IPTV operators out there on the Internet is they're basically operating illegally -- they're picking up and redistributing TV and movie content that they haven't paid for and don't have the legal right to re-distribute/sell. Hence, that's why various of these kinds of places can offer hundreds/thousands of channels for very small fees to end users.

There is a major problem at the moment with many IPTV services as the Xtream IPTV management system which most IPTV providers use is down owing to various governments clamping down,it has been down for a couple of days. Sportz TV and Sapphire Secure are two which are still working at the moment. I would recommend an Amazon Firestick for IPTV, much more reliable and simpler than a box but you will have to get one from overseas. You can instal lots of free stuff on the Firestick e.g. BBC iPlayer, My5,All4,ITV Hub and apps such as Morph TV which gives you free movies and TV series, you will need a VPN for the U.K. channels. I use a Russian one,Browsec,I have tried them all and have found this to be the most reliable,it is also very reasonably priced.

2 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

you will need a VPN for the U.K. channels. I use a Russian one,

With the purpose of a VPN to provide computer security, safety and anonymity, I'm not sure I'd be suggesting to use a Russian VPN service, considering the country and its government's extensive role in hacking, malware and other online misdeeds.

And FWIW, for similar but not exactly the same reasons, I also wouldn't recommend using a U.S. based VPN or one based in a group of western countries that share spying info with the U.S.

13 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

I am a 77 year old and there is nothing on my Firestick to hack.

The things I was talking about could include: stealing your identity, compromising your payment details, monitoring your internet use, etc etc.  I'm assuming you didn't pay for your Russian VPN service in rubles.

And that's just based on the assumption that you don't use your Russian VPN for anything except your Firestick. Most people who use VPNs use them for a variety of purposes and on a variety of devices.

Archived