BANGKOK
jingjai9

What is IPTV and should I buy one?

I go to Tesco, Banana, and Power Buy and see big displays for IPTV. Can anyone give a little info. as to what it is? I know IP is Inertnet Protocol and these TV's have the capability to offer Netflix, etc, but are there any other advantages  or limitation to buying an IPTV? Thanks.

Internet Protocol television (IPTV)

A subscription that will enable you to watch TV channels.

Some legal, most are not but you would be able to watch TV from around the world.

You caught my interest so I just Googled IPTV. Too much to explain but try a search and you'll get quite a bit of info.

52 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Internet Protocol television (IPTV)

A subscription that will enable you to watch TV channels.

Some legal, most are not but you would be able to watch TV from around the world.

I have a TV box connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and operates on Wi FI (or hard wire)...can get TV from all over the world. Bought it in Tuc Com for just over 2000 Bt.

• Like 2

I'd say the only thing to check on is that your internet service is fast enough to support the passage of TV signals, which require a fast internet connection.  If your internet service is not 'up to speed', then your IPTV channels will jerk and freeze.

• Like 1

IPTV - Internet Protocol TV.  Television that connects to the internet or Smart TV.

• Like 1

One example of IPTV which I use to watch UK TV is TeatimeTV. The TV signal is not coming through satellite or cable but through the Internet. This way you can watch UK TV such as the BBC or ITV channels everywhere, also in Thailand, despite the fact that they are not in cable TV here or on a satellite in this part of the world.

Edited by yuyiinthesky

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

They are simply a Smart TV that connects to the internet.

Not really, a smart tv and IPTV are not the same thing. IPTV is a software that offers various channels to watch depending on the one you go for.

From Wiki - Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously.

Edited by Khon Kaen Jeff
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have a TV box connected to my TV with a HDMI cable and operates on Wi FI (or hard wire)...can get TV from all over the world. Bought it in Tuc Com for just over 2000 Bt.

I have both - a Samsung Smart TV and an Android TV box.  Both connect to the Internet - can be either WiFi or wire connection to your modem.  The Smart TV is also android, but may be limited as to what "apps" can be installed -- mine came with several, including some that require subscription and payment to use.  The Android TV box on the other hand has the ability to download apps, many that provide access to movies and TV shows (no subscription or fee, but best to use a VPN which hides your Internet Address).  These boxes are available at many shops in Thailand -- I obtained mine through Lazada.  Prices vary from less than 1,000 baht on up -- I bought a T95K Pro, which was about 2,300 baht, has dual band WiFi access and some other bells and whistles.  I connect to my dual band WiFi router and have a fiber optic connection, which is usually fast enough for adequate streaming, but do sometimes encounter buffering issues.

If you are using an Android TV box, there are numerous YouTube presentations on how to download various apps. 

I just looked into this and found that most smart tv`s in thailand are stupid . Most 1gb ram , 1 skyworth tv had 500mb ram !? Some of the tv`s agian had android 4.4 which is no longer supported by google  . most are not android but their own operating system so you cannot download apps from playstore. The shops do not tell you this you have to google the make to get the info

at least 4gb ram and android system is recommended but will pay a lot for that in thailand
I bought a non smart tv and a 4gb ram magic see iron+ box and am well happy with it . also can use a wireless mouse and keyboard with android box or as i did bought a wechip air mouse which is excellent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

One example of IPTV which I use to watch UK TV is TeatimeTV. The TV signal is not coming through satellite or cable but through the Internet. This way you can watch UK TV such as the BBC or ITV channels everywhere, also in Thailand, despite the fact that they are not in cable TV here or on a satellite in this part of the world.

Many UK expats used to watch Teatime tv, which was free until some company hijacked it and now ask 600 bt/mth. About double what most iptv subs are for worldwide tv/sports.

2 hours ago, fulhamster said:

Many UK expats used to watch Teatime tv, which was free until some company hijacked it and now ask 600 bt/mth. About double what most iptv subs are for worldwide tv/sports.

I seem to remember it offers pretty much only the UK Freeview channels, so someone is making some money. For what they charge you can get thousands of international channels from other IPTV suppliers.

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Not really, a smart tv and IPTV are not the same thing. IPTV is a software that offers various channels to watch depending on the one you go for.

From Wiki - Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously.

If you read the OP's post, he referred to the TV as an IPTV. My statement certainly is correct.

I know the