Pangasius fillets?

SteveK

10 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I guess there are contaminants in almost every food you eat, even moreso here in Thailand, and to be honest that's not something I lose sleep over.  I just want to find out if the pangasius can be cooked up into a decent fish and chips.

it'll taste of batter, cooking oil, and potato... and salt if you desire

Some years back I was exporting Pangasius fish (basa) out of Vietnam into Eastern Europe. I visited the farms and the factories. Couldn't see much wrong with them but I was given to believe they are full of chemicals (antibiotics and antifungals) and the fish in the ponds are reportedly fed factory waste offcuts. Anyone remember mad cow disease. 

I am guessing some farmed fish is OK but the stuff that comes out of the Mekong would be risky to eat. Problem is one ever knows where it comes from. 

The fish cooks well, it is cheap, stays reasonably firm but has little flavour. As for me I wouldn't touch it and nor would my Vietnamese wife. Eat it at your own risk. Beware is often misnamed as Dory.

This video is dated and I think farms and factories have improved a lot since then. But for me the health risks are not worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6N2SX51d7w

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

You must be joking! 474 baht for ONE FILLET!

Take the time to click and read.

Edit: Just saw you don't care about your health or the quality of the fish. Then cheap factory farmed, chemical laced and water gouged fish is ok for you then! Nevermind you lose 50% simply by cooking it. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

It tastes ok to me, I eat it about once a week, I get them to cook it in breadcrumbs.

I vaguely remember serving it when I was cooking in a restaurant blackened the Cajun way,dredging the fillets in spices and frying in a hot pan it got some flavour into what is a bland tasting fish.better to make your own spice mix the catering packs of Cajun spices was very salty. 

On 9/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, PJPom said:

I have tried battering the fillets but they do not firm up like Cod or Shark, maybe cutting them into smaller portions would help. 

Try putting the fillet in brine for a couple of hours before cooking. 

Shallow dish, just enough water to cover the fillet, a teaspoon of salt and pinch of brown sugar.

This firms up the fillet and also gives a slight salty taste to help mimic the "taste of the sea".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue Muton said:

We used to have Pangasius fillet "fish 'n' chips in our company's restaurant, it was decent enough, especialy with oodles of their delicious freshly made tartar sauce.

With a kilo of pangasius fillets for only 100 baht, I can make a very good plate of fish and chips at home for about 50 baht, in fact it was too much for me so gave some of the fish to one of the mutts.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, SteveK said:

I'm not really the tree-hugging type so don't mind a bit of hormones and antibiotics in my food, I just want to know what the frozen pangasius in Thailand tastes like and if it is a decent substitute for cod?

I eat pangasius about once a week. Not expensive, a fillet is 50-60 baht at Big C. My GF does it in batter for me,  tasty with a salad.

Probably not as firm as cod, but quite adequate.

An interesting read about fish not to eat and the reasons why, I stopped eating pegasus a 3 or 4 years ago when I read about what it contains. The read also mentions tilapia and again why not to eat it.

I started going down to Sattahip fish market and buying fresh spanish mackeral, very tasty, about 1000 baht for 4 kilo, they will fillet the fish too, problem being it is not always available.

"However, not many people know that what they are getting is a fish named pangasius. This type of fish goes for $2 a pound and it is considered as one, if not the filthiest fish.

One study discovered that 70-80% of pangasius fish are contaminated with Vibrio bacteria, one of the biggest reasons behind shellfish poisoning which causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, skin infection. This bacteria is the cause of 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. yearly.

Aside from its destructive factor in wetlands and river life, they swim in sludge and waste and are also treated with disinfectants, pesticides, and a great range of antibiotics."

https://curiousmindmagazine.com/15-fish-you-should-never-eat-safer-seafood-options/

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

An interesting read about fish not to eat and the reasons why, I stopped eating pegasus a 3 or 4 years ago when I read about what it contains. The read also mentions tilapia and again why not to eat it.

I started going down to Sattahip fish market and buying fresh spanish mackeral, very tasty, about 1000 baht for 4 kilo, they will fillet the fish too, problem being it is not always available.

"However, not many people know that what they are getting is a fish named pangasius. This type of fish goes for $2 a pound and it is considered as one, if not the filthiest fish.

One study discovered that 70-80% of pangasius fish are contaminated with Vibrio bacteria, one of the biggest reasons behind shellfish poisoning which causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, skin infection. This bacteria is the cause of 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. yearly.

Aside from its destructive factor in wetlands and river life, they swim in sludge and waste and are also treated with disinfectants, pesticides, and a great range of antibiotics."

https://curiousmindmagazine.com/15-fish-you-should-never-eat-safer-seafood-options/

If you watch the video, you will see that the dangers of pangasius were over hyped by some people assuming that they were all being bred in people's houses on the river whilst a guy stands over the water smoking a fag.

Millions of tons of pangasius are eaten yearly all around the globe, people are not dropping down dead from it, the above post is incredibly misleading. Mercury contamination in tuna etc is far more worrying, that is based on real facts not scaremongering by industry insiders who can't compete with the low cost of pangasius so spread rumours about it.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveK said:

If you watch the video, you will see that the dangers of pangasius were over hyped by some people assuming that they were all being bred in people's houses on the river whilst a guy stands over the water smoking a fag.

Millions of tons of pangasius are eaten yearly all around the globe, people are not dropping down dead from it, the above post is incredibly misleading.

You pays your money, you take the chance, erring on the side of caution is not always a bad thing. I am not telling other people not to eat it, that is their choice, but for me, till I'm sure I'll pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To all of you worried about Pangasius remember that farmed  prawns are just as bad and in the wild mud crabs live in filthy mud and shrimp are always plentiful near sewer outlets.

I will now go and try to successfully batter my fillets having followed a few tips from here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PJPom said:

To all of you worried about Pangasius remember that farmed  prawns are just as bad and in the wild mud crabs live in filthy mud and shrimp are always plentiful near sewer outlets.

I will now go and try to successfully batter my fillets having followed a few tips from here.

I made batter this morning from just half a can of ice cold Leo and some plain flour - was really good.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Pangasious or John dory is flavourless and a disgusting texture ,,, not fit for dog food ,,,I eat fried snapper fillets in thailand  ,,, used to eat shark , superb to eat but they are very endangered now so  wont eat them .

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

I eat no fish or shellfish in Thailand other than imported frozen from well outside of Asia.

Even then I limit  consumption. It is sadly now one of the  most contaminated sources of protein.

I trust you don't eat Norwegian farmed salmon as that is reported to be one of the most toxic fish in the sea.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:47 PM, liddelljohn said:

Pangasious or John dory is flavourless and a disgusting texture ,,, not fit for dog food ,,,I eat fried snapper fillets in thailand  ,,, used to eat shark , superb to eat but they are very endangered now so  wont eat them .

totally different fish, john dory are salt water fish caught in the open ocean, pangasius are fresh water fish, different body shapes as well, dory look more like a leather jacket/trigger fish

4 hours ago, stoutfella said:

I trust you don't eat Norwegian farmed salmon as that is reported to be one of the most toxic fish in the sea.

I eat Norwegian salmon all the time, I find it very tasty.

I was told earlier this week that once they run out of the salmon then that's it - there's no more left and they're not expecting any more any time soon.

7 hours ago, seajae said:

totally different fish, john dory are salt water fish caught in the open ocean, pangasius are fresh water fish, different body shapes as well, dory look more like a leather jacket/trigger fish

Yes John Dory is a salt water fish with no relationship whatsoever to the fresh water Pangasius. The confusion comes from the fact that in many countries Pangasius is marketed as "Dory" (not John Dory).

• 2 months later...

How popular are pangasius fillets in Thailand? Have you seen him in street food?

Is it part of the original Thai cuisine? it should be, because fish inhabit the waters of South and Southeast Asia

Edited by Zagor