BANGKOK
SteveK

Pangasius fillets?

10 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I guess there are contaminants in almost every food you eat, even moreso here in Thailand, and to be honest that's not something I lose sleep over.  I just want to find out if the pangasius can be cooked up into a decent fish and chips.

it'll taste of batter, cooking oil, and potato... and salt if you desire

It tastes ok to me, I eat it about once a week, I get them to cook it in breadcrumbs.

• Thanks 1

Some years back I was exporting Pangasius fish (basa) out of Vietnam into Eastern Europe. I visited the farms and the factories. Couldn't see much wrong with them but I was given to believe they are full of chemicals (antibiotics and antifungals) and the fish in the ponds are reportedly fed factory waste offcuts. Anyone remember mad cow disease. 

I am guessing some farmed fish is OK but the stuff that comes out of the Mekong would be risky to eat. Problem is one ever knows where it comes from. 

The fish cooks well, it is cheap, stays reasonably firm but has little flavour. As for me I wouldn't touch it and nor would my Vietnamese wife. Eat it at your own risk. Beware is often misnamed as Dory.

This video is dated and I think farms and factories have improved a lot since then. But for me the health risks are not worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6N2SX51d7w

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It tastes ok to me, I eat it about once a week, I get them to cook it in breadcrumbs.

I like the taste of fried breadcrumbs too! 

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

You must be joking! 474 baht for ONE FILLET!

Take the time to click and read.

Edit: Just saw you don't care about your health or the quality of the fish. Then cheap factory farmed, chemical laced and water gouged fish is ok for you then! Nevermind you lose 50% simply by cooking it. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

I vaguely remember serving it when I was cooking in a restaurant blackened the Cajun way,dredging the fillets in spices and frying in a hot pan it got some flavour into what is a bland tasting fish.better to make your own spice mix the catering packs of Cajun spices was very salty. 

On 9/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, PJPom said:

I have tried battering the fillets but they do not firm up like Cod or Shark, maybe cutting them into smaller portions would help. 

Try putting the fillet in brine for a couple of hours before cooking. 

Shallow dish, just enough water to cover the fillet, a teaspoon of salt and pinch of brown sugar.

This firms up the fillet and also gives a slight salty taste to help mimic the "taste of the sea".

• Like 2

Update - bought a large bag of pangasius fillets this morning, and had a beer battered piece for my breakfast. It was very good, very similar to cod. Will be making again.

• Like 1

From the documentary, I was surprised to learn that pangasius is simply another name for catfish for us in north america.