Jump to content

Pangasius fillets?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with you on this one.  I ordered some from Tops but you're right about fish from farms in Vietnam.     Most places can't tell you if the fish they sell is wild caught or farm raised.

Take the time to click and read.   Edit: Just saw you don't care about your health or the quality of the fish. Then cheap factory farmed, chemical laced and water gouged fish is ok for you t

pangasius is garbage and I cant come at it at all but daughter loves it. Coming from Australia I am used to very fresh caught ocean fish/seafood that was swimming in clean water something that is hard

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Blue Muton said:

We used to have Pangasius fillet "fish 'n' chips in our company's restaurant, it was decent enough, especialy with oodles of their delicious freshly made tartar sauce.

With a kilo of pangasius fillets for only 100 baht, I can make a very good plate of fish and chips at home for about 50 baht, in fact it was too much for me so gave some of the fish to one of the mutts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, SteveK said:

I'm not really the tree-hugging type so don't mind a bit of hormones and antibiotics in my food, I just want to know what the frozen pangasius in Thailand tastes like and if it is a decent substitute for cod?

I eat pangasius about once a week. Not expensive, a fillet is 50-60 baht at Big C. My GF does it in batter for me,  tasty with a salad.

Probably not as firm as cod, but quite adequate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting read about fish not to eat and the reasons why, I stopped eating pegasus a 3 or 4 years ago when I read about what it contains. The read also mentions tilapia and again why not to eat it.

I started going down to Sattahip fish market and buying fresh spanish mackeral, very tasty, about 1000 baht for 4 kilo, they will fillet the fish too, problem being it is not always available.

 

"However, not many people know that what they are getting is a fish named pangasius. This type of fish goes for $2 a pound and it is considered as one, if not the filthiest fish.

One study discovered that 70-80% of pangasius fish are contaminated with Vibrio bacteria, one of the biggest reasons behind shellfish poisoning which causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, skin infection. This bacteria is the cause of 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. yearly.

Aside from its destructive factor in wetlands and river life, they swim in sludge and waste and are also treated with disinfectants, pesticides, and a great range of antibiotics."

 

https://curiousmindmagazine.com/15-fish-you-should-never-eat-safer-seafood-options/

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vogie said:

An interesting read about fish not to eat and the reasons why, I stopped eating pegasus a 3 or 4 years ago when I read about what it contains. The read also mentions tilapia and again why not to eat it.

I started going down to Sattahip fish market and buying fresh spanish mackeral, very tasty, about 1000 baht for 4 kilo, they will fillet the fish too, problem being it is not always available.

 

"However, not many people know that what they are getting is a fish named pangasius. This type of fish goes for $2 a pound and it is considered as one, if not the filthiest fish.

One study discovered that 70-80% of pangasius fish are contaminated with Vibrio bacteria, one of the biggest reasons behind shellfish poisoning which causes diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, skin infection. This bacteria is the cause of 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. yearly.

Aside from its destructive factor in wetlands and river life, they swim in sludge and waste and are also treated with disinfectants, pesticides, and a great range of antibiotics."

 

https://curiousmindmagazine.com/15-fish-you-should-never-eat-safer-seafood-options/

If you watch the video, you will see that the dangers of pangasius were over hyped by some people assuming that they were all being bred in people's houses on the river whilst a guy stands over the water smoking a fag.

 

Millions of tons of pangasius are eaten yearly all around the globe, people are not dropping down dead from it, the above post is incredibly misleading. Mercury contamination in tuna etc is far more worrying, that is based on real facts not scaremongering by industry insiders who can't compete with the low cost of pangasius so spread rumours about it.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SteveK said:

If you watch the video, you will see that the dangers of pangasius were over hyped by some people assuming that they were all being bred in people's houses on the river whilst a guy stands over the water smoking a fag.

 

Millions of tons of pangasius are eaten yearly all around the globe, people are not dropping down dead from it, the above post is incredibly misleading.

You pays your money, you take the chance, erring on the side of caution is not always a bad thing. I am not telling other people not to eat it, that is their choice, but for me, till I'm sure I'll pass.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To all of you worried about Pangasius remember that farmed  prawns are just as bad and in the wild mud crabs live in filthy mud and shrimp are always plentiful near sewer outlets.

I will now go and try to successfully batter my fillets having followed a few tips from here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PJPom said:

To all of you worried about Pangasius remember that farmed  prawns are just as bad and in the wild mud crabs live in filthy mud and shrimp are always plentiful near sewer outlets.

I will now go and try to successfully batter my fillets having followed a few tips from here.

I made batter this morning from just half a can of ice cold Leo and some plain flour - was really good.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Pangasious or John dory is flavourless and a disgusting texture ,,, not fit for dog food ,,,I eat fried snapper fillets in thailand  ,,, used to eat shark , superb to eat but they are very endangered now so  wont eat them .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

I eat no fish or shellfish in Thailand other than imported frozen from well outside of Asia.

Even then I limit  consumption. It is sadly now one of the  most contaminated sources of protein.

 

 

 

I trust you don't eat Norwegian farmed salmon as that is reported to be one of the most toxic fish in the sea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 9:47 PM, liddelljohn said:

Pangasious or John dory is flavourless and a disgusting texture ,,, not fit for dog food ,,,I eat fried snapper fillets in thailand  ,,, used to eat shark , superb to eat but they are very endangered now so  wont eat them .

totally different fish, john dory are salt water fish caught in the open ocean, pangasius are fresh water fish, different body shapes as well, dory look more like a leather jacket/trigger fish

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stoutfella said:

I trust you don't eat Norwegian farmed salmon as that is reported to be one of the most toxic fish in the sea.

I eat Norwegian salmon all the time, I find it very tasty.

 

I was told earlier this week that once they run out of the salmon then that's it - there's no more left and they're not expecting any more any time soon.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, seajae said:

totally different fish, john dory are salt water fish caught in the open ocean, pangasius are fresh water fish, different body shapes as well, dory look more like a leather jacket/trigger fish

 

Yes John Dory is a salt water fish with no relationship whatsoever to the fresh water Pangasius. The confusion comes from the fact that in many countries Pangasius is marketed as "Dory" (not John Dory).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

How popular are pangasius fillets in Thailand? Have you seen him in street food?

 

Is it part of the original Thai cuisine? it should be, because fish inhabit the waters of South and Southeast Asia

Edited by Zagor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...