BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

This Japanese Coffee House Serves 22-Year-Old Coffee for $900 a Cup

The Münch, a small coffee house in Osaka, Japan, is probably the only place in the world where you can enjoy a cup of freshly brewed 22-year-old coffee. That’s if you can afford it, as a cup will set you back a whopping $914.

The story of what many consider the world’s most expensive cup of coffee started decades ago, totally by mistake. Kanji Tanaka, the owner and sole employee of The Münch, used to a type of ice coffee in the refrigerator so he could serve it to customers right away, only one time he forgot a batch of it in the fridge for over half a year. He couldn’t possibly serve it to paying customers anymore, but before throwing it out he decided to take a sip and see how it tasted. To his surprise, the coffee was still good and had acquired a special flavor.

Around the time he discovered that his months-old coffee was still drinkable, small wooden barrels were all the rage in Japan. They were advertised as a great way to make cheap alcohol taste better, and Tanaka wondered what they could do for his brew. He put the batch of coffee he had forgotten in the fridge in these wooden barrels and let it age for 10 years. When he tasted it a decade later, it had become sweet, almost like a syrup.

So Tanaka started using raw coffee beans aged for 20 years, roasting them himself, grinding them and finally brewing his now famous vintage coffee using a Nel Drip system similar to a pourover dripper or a Chemex. Basically, he puts the coffee grounds into a filter and pours hot water over it. Only he has his own way of doing things.

The owner of The Münch pours water into the grounds very slowly, so slowly in fact that it takes 30 minutes for the first drop of liquid to fall in the container underneath the filter. He claims that this way, the coffee is steamed, which brings out its aroma and sweetness, while also eliminating some of its bitterness. The brew is then stored in those small wooden barrels that Tanaka has been using for decades.

Full article

Sheeeiiiiiittttt!!!!  Japanese either have too much spending money or they crazy as a bedbug!   👍😂

• Like 1

customers confirming that having money and having brains don't always have overlap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On September 19, 2019 at 11:28 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

only one time he forgot a batch of it in the fridge for over half a year. He couldn’t possibly serve it to paying customers anymore, but before throwing it out he decided to take a sip and see how it tasted. To his surprise, the coffee was still good and had acquired a special flavor.

I found a very old jar of Nescafé at the back of the fridge with a couple of spoonfuls at the bottom of the jar that probably have acquired a special flavor and definitely acquired a special color and texture. Bids will be accepted.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I found a very old jar of Nescafé at the back of the fridge with a couple of spoonfuls at the bottom of the jar that probably have acquired a special flavor and definitely acquired a special color and texture. Bids will be accepted.

You can pay me travel expenses and 20,000 Baht to take it away 😉 

What's wrong with the world in a coffee cup🤔

Black Ivory Coffee - Processed elephant poop

755748370_ScreenShot2019-09-22at10_14_55AM.jpg.def269e77ca84707266039704af02804.jpg

Imagine you order it, it tastes horrible, and you still have to pay 914USD.

I prefer old fashioned espresso. If the waitresses are 22 years old that's acceptable.

378c1aff45f87116bb394e0e1c5fcf9e.jpg

I am currently aging coffee beans in my foreskin. I'm pretty sure the Japanese will pay thousands for each bean.

My wife loves it, by the way.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine you order it, it tastes horrible, and you still have to pay 914USD.

I prefer old fashioned espresso. If the waitresses are 22 years old that's acceptable.

378c1aff45f87116bb394e0e1c5fcf9e.jpg

Well I guess I am older than you can I accept 24 year olds

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, naboo said:

I am currently aging coffee beans in my foreskin. I'm pretty sure the Japanese will pay thousands for each bean.

My wife loves it, by the way.

what the coffee beans or your foreskin?