Thai Cabinet earmarks Bt286m to help tapioca farmers hit by mosaic disease

webfact

Cabinet earmarks Bt286m to help tapioca farmers hit by mosaic disease

By The Nation

800_129d41fd33b114b.jpg?v=1568893361

At a meeting with the Tapioca Policy and Administration Committee (TPAC) on Thursday (September 19), Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the Cabinet has approved measures to help tapioca farmers whose crops have been hit by the cassava mosaic disease (CMD).

“There is now an epidemic in 11 provinces, and the Cabinet has approved Bt286 million for control and prevention of the disease and also as subsidy for affected farmers,” he said.

Jurin added that affected tapioca farmers will be eligible for a Bt3,000 subsidy per rai based on the following conditions:

- Farmers should have registered as tapioca growers with TPAC between April 1 and September 30; and

- Farmers must notify the TPAC of their farms being affected by the disease by June 30 next year.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry has estimated that 45,400 rai of tapioca farms in Thailand have been affected by CMD, while over 4,500 farmers are awaiting government aid since the disease broke out earlier this year.

Jurin has also tasked the Department of Agricultural Extension to draw up a plan to prevent the disease as well as find a way to properly eliminate infected plants.

The cassava mosaic disease wipes out entire harvests and so far, no remedy has been found other than eliminating the tobacco whitefly, which carries the disease, and eliminating the infected plants.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376436

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-20

So my neighbours grow this illegally on public land and about 100-150rai? Will they get the money or prison because sofar they can do as they want? They have broken so many laws that all are supposed to result in prison time but we cant even get a policeman to take a report. I guess its because the farmers are all families of officials. 

Bit of topic but im sure these morons are first in line for some cash. They always are...

17 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

So my neighbours grow this illegally on public land and about 100-150rai? Will they get the money or prison because sofar they can do as they want? They have broken so many laws that all are supposed to result in prison time but we cant even get a policeman to take a report. I guess its because the farmers are all families of officials. 

Bit of topic but im sure these morons are first in line for some cash. They always are...

Don't worry if they get mosaic virus everything will get wiped and the soil will stay infected for several years. Also I read they average 53 baht per rai per month. Nice way to waste your time and money. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca_industry_of_Thailand

On 9/20/2019 at 3:22 AM, webfact said:

the Cabinet has approved measures to help tapioca farmers whose crops have been hit by the cassava mosaic disease

This is in addition to the recent August price guarantee for tapioca.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375408

For some reason the Prayut regime had developed a crop insurance scheme for rice and corn, but not for other crops such as Tapioca. As the insurance program premiums were also subsidized by the government, in practice farmers paid nothing for the insurance. Maybe it's time to include all crops in the program that can provide financial certainty to all farmers than issuing periodic on-the-spot subsidies.

Archived