Cameron and the Queen: Palace 'displeasure' over comments

webfact

Cameron and the Queen: Palace 'displeasure' over comments

screenshot.jpg

Former PM David Cameron explains how he sought the Queen's help in Scottish independence vote

David Cameron's revelation that he sought help from the Queen ahead of the Scottish independence vote in 2014 has caused displeasure at Buckingham Palace, a source has said.

The former PM told the BBC he had asked whether the Queen could "raise an eyebrow" about the prospect of Scotland voting for independence.

The Queen later said people should "think carefully about the future". Buckingham Palace has made no official comment on Mr Cameron's remarks.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49756756

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2019-09-20

It was hardly a revelation; more a confirmation of what everyone suspected to be true.

But the whole referendum was riddled with underhand, illegal tactics, from the dark money funding Better Together, the breaking of purdah by their leadership and even Ruth Davidson admitting, only moments after the poll closed, that she had seen the results of the postal votes.

Next time will hopefully be overseen by an independent, international body.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, blazes said:

She was thinking (carefully) about the effect on Balmoral's real-estate value if the Scots went and Brexited.....

I would think it would be sound advise for any resident of Great Britain to divest assets to another country... :coffee1:

By the sound of it Cameron has really let himself down with the content of this book. Too much whining and moaning and blaming others for his mistakes. Also, he should not be running down the current PM, whatever his private opinion of him may be. Deeply unpatriotic for a former PM to do that. 

2 hours ago, blazes said:

She was thinking (carefully) about the effect on Balmoral's real-estate value if the Scots went and Brexited.....

Rather childish statement...

I doubt she would sell it anyway, do not forget she is Queen of Scotland by right that precedes the Act of Union (1707), and the Scottish referendum was not about Scotland becoming a republic, and if the value went down so would any taxes she pay... 

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

It was hardly a revelation; more a confirmation of what everyone suspected to be true.

But the whole referendum was riddled with underhand, illegal tactics, from the dark money funding Better Together, the breaking of purdah by their leadership and even Ruth Davidson admitting, only moments after the poll closed, that she had seen the results of the postal votes.

Next time will hopefully be overseen by an independent, international body.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sure. And the nationalist politicians are all as honest as the day is long, never lied and were totally beyond any reproach, personal or professional! 

You lost because more people voted against independence. Get over it and stop pretending it was all a big conspiracy.

27 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Rather childish statement...

I doubt she would sell it anyway, do not forget she is Queen of Scotland by right that precedes the Act of Union (1707), and the Scottish referendum was not about Scotland becoming a republic, and if the value went down so would any taxes she pay... 

She is half Scottish. The rest is a mix of German, Greek, Welsh  etc etc ............. even a tad bit English somewhere!

Shows exactly why she's the Queen of the UK. Her ancestors were royalty from the various main parts. Interesting the connections with European royalty that only ceased to be so politically important after WW1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

By the sound of it Cameron has really let himself down with the content of this book. Too much whining and moaning and blaming others for his mistakes. Also, he should not be running down the current PM, whatever his private opinion of him may be. Deeply unpatriotic for a former PM to do that. 

Shows just what an arrogant money grabbing little knob-head he is. 

This is the man who created the Brexit chaos and divided the country. Now trying to cash in with his kiss and reveal type memoir <deleted>.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Sure. And the nationalist politicians are all as honest as the day is long, never lied and were totally beyond any reproach, personal or professional! 

Irrelevant whataboutery. But I would be interested to learn more about how the Yes campaign flouted the law. Do you have examples to offer?

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You lost because more people voted against independence. Get over it and stop pretending it was all a big conspiracy.

All 3 of the occurrences I mentioned are not tin foil hattery but documented fact. They contributed to the result; to suggest otherwise is somewhat naive. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

No "gongs" or Knighthood now!!

Yes, the draw does seem empty.

Honours...

14 December 2005: appointed to the Privy Council of the United Kingdom, giving him the Honorific Title "The Right Honourable" for Life.

2012: Special Class of the Order of Abdulaziz al Saud.

For life??? I was of the understanding one could be sacked.

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Irrelevant whataboutery. But I would be interested to learn more about how the Yes campaign flouted the law. Do you have examples to offer?

All 3 of the occurrences I mentioned are not tin foil hattery but documented fact. They contributed to the result; to suggest otherwise is somewhat naive. 

"But the whole referendum was riddled with underhand, illegal tactics, from the dark money funding Better Together, the breaking of purdah by their leadership and even Ruth Davidson admitting, only moments after the poll closed, that she had seen the results of the postal votes."

"The sample postal vote openings, which were attended by agents from both campaigns ahead of polling day, were held to confirm personal identifiers - the date of birth and signature - on the postal ballots matched those held on official records." Source BBC.

Note both campaigns had agents attending.

"Police spoke to Ms Davidson as a witness and there was no suggestion of wrongdoing on her part."

Seems Police Scotland don't agree with you.

"In a statement, a spokesman for Ms Pitcaithly said all counts "were properly conducted and scrutinised".

He added: "Each of the episodes in the video can be easily explained. However they are presented as a 'conspiracy' theory. "It is most frustrating and does not recognise the immense work that so many people put into the planning and delivery of the count." Source: BBC

Police Scotland spent a year investigating this and submitted their report to prosecutors. Has anyone been prosecuted and convicted of any crime?

Your suggestion that the campaign was riddled with underhand illegal tactics hasn't been substantiated by any independent investigation. Nor AFAIK is your claim that 'dark money' was at work. Pure hyperbole.

The naivety is to believe that the SNP only speak the truth and to be so disappointed by the result that your denial leads to unsubstantiated conspiracy theories because you can't accept the result.

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

"But the whole referendum was riddled with underhand, illegal tactics, from the dark money funding Better Together, the breaking of purdah by their leadership and even Ruth Davidson admitting, only moments after the poll closed, that she had seen the results of the postal votes."

"The sample postal vote openings, which were attended by agents from both campaigns ahead of polling day, were held to confirm personal identifiers - the date of birth and signature - on the postal ballots matched those held on official records." Source BBC.

Note both campaigns had agents attending.

"Police spoke to Ms Davidson as a witness and there was no suggestion of wrongdoing on her part."

Seems Police Scotland don't agree with you.

"In a statement, a spokesman for Ms Pitcaithly said all counts "were properly conducted and scrutinised".

He added: "Each of the episodes in the video can be easily explained. However they are presented as a 'conspiracy' theory. "It is most frustrating and does not recognise the immense work that so many people put into the planning and delivery of the count." Source: BBC

Police Scotland spent a year investigating this and submitted their report to prosecutors. Has anyone been prosecuted and convicted of any crime?

I must admit that I only have the words of Ruth Davidson herself to go on: 

"Ms Davidson told the Scotland Decides programme: "We have had people at every sample opening around the country over the last few weeks... and we have been incredibly encouraged by the results from that.

"Going into today, going by the postal votes that were cast, our side would have had a lead and I think that we have a confidence, I hope a quiet confidence, that the quiet majority of Scots have spoken today."

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Your suggestion that the campaign was riddled with underhand illegal tactics hasn't been substantiated by any independent investigation. Nor AFAIK is your claim that 'dark money' was at work. Pure hyperbole.

The breaking of purdah doesn't need investigation - it is there for all to see. 

Here is George Osborne promising greater devolution for Scotland if it voted No on 8th Sep (and, as it turned out, a total lie). 

Here is the PM promising 'the vow' on 15th Sep (and here is Gordon Brown confirming that this, too, turned out to be a pack of lies) . 

So both of these failed promises were trotted out within the purdah period signed up to in the Edinburgh Agreement. 

Nor is Dark Money a myth: "A “dark money” trust that gave £364,000 to the Scottish Conservatives has been fined £1,800 by the UK Electoral Commission for failing to properly report donations."

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The naivety is to believe that the SNP only speak the truth and to be so disappointed by the result that your denial leads to unsubstantiated conspiracy theories because you can't accept the result.

So I think we can agree that all are, as I stated in my earlier post, substantiated or are you still in denial?

Archived